Anybody use OpenRocket Android?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use it too.

I have found it useful to take to launches instead of a laptop. I hope it keeps getting updated

Cheers

Chris

Please dont let it rot!

I have this on my tablet and take it to launches. However, since my tablet doesn't have a cell connection (wifi only), I need to download any thrust curves beforehand, as downloading in the field isn't an option. As such, I would also love to see all the motors available on initial install.

I agree motor selection is a bit clunky, but is manageable once you figure out how to do it. I have run into problems with an ORK file that I've modified and saved via the tablet, but using Google drive works fine for getting files from my PC while at home. I also agree that full-blown design of a rocket on the field probably isn't necessary for my situation, as my primary use is for flight simulations with different motors and delays that I might pick up at a launch vendor.

All in all, a very useful app! As far as Google play, I, too, use a non-approved device (HP touch pad wth CM9), so would gain no benefit from the app being on Google play.

Thanks for the work on it!

Downloaded OR/android on my Droid razr max md, but I am unable to open .ork files. I get an error message telling me OR has stopped.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that the .ork files are created using the latest OR v13.09?

Downloaded OR/android on my Droid razr max md, but I am unable to open .ork files. I get an error message telling me OR has stopped.

Does this have anything to do with the fact that the .ork files are created using the latest OR v13.09?

That's a good question. I haven't tried this but thought it should work. I'll get back to you.

Kevin

I just downloaded.OR to my Kindle Fire. It also had trouble with opening a .ork

The motor section behavior is a little different (one nice feature one bad feature)

NICE- if you open a motor chart in landscape orientation the chart appears on the right and the list is still available on the left. This let's you select a new motor without having to close the chart currently displayed. One minor annoyance is when the motor description is long the list starts a newline in the middle of a word.

Opening a chart in the portrait orientation the chart fills the screen then switching to landscape the chart fills the screen without showing the list.

BAD- if you open a motor chart in landscape orientation then turn to portrait you get a program stopped error.

Last edited:
Ah yes. bugs...

Can you attach the ork file you're having troubles with? I've tried a couple of 13.05 example files and they open (with unsupported warnings).

I just downloaded.OR to my Kindle Fire. It also had trouble with opening a .ork

The motor section behavior is a little different (one nice feature one bad feature)

NICE- if you open a motor chart in landscape orientation the chart appears on the right and the list is still available on the left. This let's you select a new motor without having to close the chart currently displayed. One minor annoyance is when the motor description is long the list starts a newline in the middle of a word.

Opening a chart in the portrait orientation the chart fills the screen then switching to landscape the chart fills the screen without showing the list.

BAD- if you open a motor chart in landscape orientation then turn to portrait you get a program stopped error.

Ah yes. bugs...

Can you attach the ork file you're having troubles with? I've tried a couple of 13.05 example files and they open (with unsupported warnings).

OK, here's an attached .ork that gives me trouble. These are 13.09 files
View attachment KiteRoc4in.rkt.ork

I'm also attaching one of the example files included with OR;, "A simple model rocket". I opened the example and then saved it as a ork.
View attachment SimpleModelRocket_Sampo.ork
When I open this file with my phone I actually get a little further in the process, but I get a lengthy Warning first which reads:
Unsupported document version 1.6 (writtern using 'OpenRocket 13.09'), attempting to read file anyway.
Unknown element paint, ignoring.
Unknown element shine, ignoring.
Unknown parameter type 'appearance for Nose cone, ignoring.
Unknown element decal, ignoring
Unknown parameter type 'appearance' for Trapezoidal fin set, ignoring.
Unknown parameter type 'appearance' for Inner Tube, ignoring.
Unknown attributes in element 'innertube', ignoring.
Unknown parameter type 'appearance' for Centering ring, ignoring.
Unknown attributes in element 'centeringring', ignoring.

After clicking ok everything seems to work as advertised.

I don't know what's going on with that one. I'll hang on to it and address the problem with the next release.

Those warnings for the example file are expected. 13.09 supports 'appearances' which is part of the 3d color & decal stuff. older versions of OR will issue warnings like this when you open newer files. However, if you try to use any of the advanced flight configurations (motor ignition, recovery deployment) then the android client will not be able to reproduce the simulation correctly. You can however, view simulations that you created on the desktop application.

OK, here's an attached .ork that gives me trouble. These are 13.09 files
View attachment 145317

I'm also attaching one of the example files included with OR;, "A simple model rocket". I opened the example and then saved it as a ork.
View attachment 145318
When I open this file with my phone I actually get a little further in the process, but I get a lengthy Warning first which reads:

After clicking ok everything seems to work as advertised.

Coming to this party late.... I just ordered a 7 inch Asus tablet - it should be delivered today. I've been taking an Acer netbook with Windows 7 with me to launches and have been known to use OpenRocket (and even RockSim) on that machine in the field. That said, I'm interested in seeing how this Android stuff works out...and OR is definitely one of the things I plan to try on it.

I see the Android version was updated rather more recently than the last post in this thread. Thanks for that!

added: tablet arrived, OR installed and running ....will have comments after I spend more time with it.

Last edited:
Coming to this party late.... I just ordered a 7 inch Asus tablet - it should be delivered today. I've been taking an Acer netbook with Windows 7 with me to launches and have been known to use OpenRocket (and even RockSim) on that machine in the field. That said, I'm interested in seeing how this Android stuff works out...and OR is definitely one of the things I plan to try on it.

I see the Android version was updated rather more recently than the last post in this thread. Thanks for that!

I tried it last week. Not very handy for me. I found it far easier to just being my laptop.

The reason I didn't want to put it on play is The Big G charges $25 for the account to post the app,

Good thing you are not programming for iPhone. The pompous Big A will charge you 10 times that amount and then must bless your app for worthiness in iTunes.

I made an app for a small group and put the apk on a download site. It was a little cumbersome. Seems like you have a good-sized following for your OpenRocket Android app. It is worth putting on Google Play.

Back