MicroMaxx questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46u

Reaction score
Is there any reason they went from the silo launch pad to the standard other then I would think the standard is cheaper to make? Did they have any problems with the silo?

Being the MicroMaxx line has gotten smaller and the sets are harder to find as well as you cannot buy other then the group rockets from Quest do you think they are getting ready to discontinue them?
Thanks
Jeff

Is there any reason they went from the silo launch pad to the standard other then I would think the standard is cheaper to make? Did they have any problems with the silo?
The silo pad was designed to use the plug in QMX igniters. The contacts in the pad had a bad tendency to get gunked up with black powder residue after a couple of launches.

Being the MicroMaxx line has gotten smaller and the sets are harder to find as well as you cannot buy other then the group rockets from Quest do you think they are getting ready to discontinue them?
I am not sure, but Jim Flis of FlisKits recently introduced a MicroMaxx Launch set that contains a Quest luanch pad and controller. I don't think that Jim would introduce that item if Quest was discontinue MicroMaxx motors. Quest only introduced MMX parts a couple of years ago. Considering that the MMX motors have been available since 1999 or 2000, most of the MMX kits have only available from a few third party manufacturers.

I'm not sure if the motors are still being manufactured. Contact Quest directly for reliable info.

I'm not sure if the motors are still being manufactured. Contact Quest directly for reliable info.

Last week I sent them an email asking when the kits would be in stock and they said should be middle to end of next month. Did not ask about the motors but they are still easy enough to find right now. I sent them another email today asking if they are thinking about discontinuing the MiroMaxx. I use to race radio control off road buggies and never got a truthful for answer from the distributor so not sure how much I can believe out of rocket distributors.

The reason I asked about the silo is I am thinking about buying a new kit not to launch but just to have in the collection. I have a set coming with the standard launch pad to use.
Thanks
Jeff

Yes the Silo was a pretty cool design but the plug igniter contacts required much more up-keep and care then most wanted to put up with.
Shortly after these systems were introduced back in 1999 I retrofitted my silo's with standard micro clips on a self supporting wire coil to allow any size or shape Micro model to be flown from the same Launch rod hole. This system worked very well and is still used on occasion or when I give a silo system to a new Micro modelers, family or friend.

Over on the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group there are step by step instructions for this conversion and adding a 12volt direct drop battery connection to the 9v hockey puck or new Hand held controllers. NO other alteration to the controller are needed to use with any 12v battery.

As Jeff mentioned if you want to talk to anyone about the manufacture of MMX Motors it's best to contact Quest directly. Personally I'm looking for the next run to include a TRUE MMX-II-0 Booster motor instead of the after market MMX-II-NE we now have.

As far as Kits and parts there are a number of GREAT sources for Micro Maxx Kits and EXCELLENT Parts Fliskits being NO#-1. Quest recently also started offering some of their own MMX parts though limited in scope.

You might want to join us over on the Micro Max Rockets yahoo group. We have Tons of info, Plans and parts sources for everyone's use.
I'll see if I can upload a pic page of the silo conversion but it will likely be kind of hard to read.

With over 190 different Micro Maxx Models in my fleet at the moment I certainly don't want to see MMX motors discontinued but it's all up to all the MMX flyers out there...If we buy motors Quest will keep making them... if not?

08_Completed system_03-31-02.jpg

MM ControllerConversion-3_12v drop Cord_07-21-02.jpg

Quest MMX  6-12volt bat drop cord_12-25-10.jpg

Quest Pgrip-4-sm_3pic pg_10-04-08.JPG

I have been launching rockets off and on since 1968 and the MicroMaxx will not be my primary rockets but something my grandson and I can launch with out having to load up and go somewhere we will be able to launch them in the yard.
Thanks
Jeff

If you think MMX motors are hard to get in the USA, try to find them here in Australia!

Krusty

The motors are about the only thing Quest shows in stock on their web site. What I was saying is they do not offer near as many different rockets as they use to and the only way to get rockets from Quest is buying starter sets. Yes I know others make them but if Quest discontinues them does not matter how many rockets you have if you cannot get the motors.

Quest claims they are not going to discontinue them but if they are like some other hobby distributors that told me the same thing and then a month later did discontinue them does not matter what they say. I am not saying Quest is like this but I found many that are.
Thanks
Jeff

Jeff:
What your not quite understanding is several of the other MMX Kit manufacturers are also MMX motor distributors for Quest. Fliskits and several of the on-line Hobby shops carry or can get MMX-II motors easily. As mentioned in an earlier post I personally like to buy my MMX motor in bulk 72motor cases either directly from Quest or through my local hobby shop in multi case orders to get the price down and more importantly greatly reduce or eliminate the hazmat and shipping fees. If your associated with a club it might be well worth your while to investigate places a multi case order with your favorite local hobby shop. The last time our club did this we got the DELIVERED price per MMX-II motors down to .49 each.
Ya just can't beat that with whatever size stick you can find LOL!!!

OBTY; the original LPB Quest models really are JUST an introductory step. You really should take a look at some of the wonderful Fliskit Micro to the Max line of actual build your own models. FUN, fun fun. It's also easy to convert cardstock and paper model for Out of sight flights with these tiny motors.
As I've mentioned before Bill Stine told me personally he wished I'd come to him before they placed the last MMX-II motor run as it would have been easy to have a TRUE zero delay booster motor made at the same time. further it will likely be done with the next run. I don't see any sign that Micro Motors or parts will be disappearing anytime soon.

John,
I plain on getting some of the other brand MicroMaxx rockets and understand what you are saying but from pass experience I have found much of the time a manufacture goes from many models to fewer there is more then one reason. Not saying this is the case with Quest but who really knows? Even if they do I still have my low and mid power rockets. I am sure the other brand rockets do much better and all ready have a list of ones I will be getting. I have no problem building them other then my old shaky hands and bad eyes as I have been building rockets off and on since 1968. I do not have a problem building big motorcycle engines and doing all the machine work so rockets are a walk in the park.

The main reason I am even getting into MicroMaxx rockets is my grandchildren and I can launch them just about anywhere and I thought they would be a good learning size for them.
Thanks
Jeff

I use the Quest LPBs as Christmas tree ornaments but some of them do fly really well.

I wish that the motor would have been designed to be a little longer to accommodate a bit longer delay. Many of my smaller rockets are still going like the proverbial bat when the ejection charge goes.

BTW, if you're looking specifically for the Quest LPBs take a look at Model Aerospace Co. They still have a few silo launch sets and some of the rocket two packs for cheap.

BTW, if you're looking specifically for the Quest LPBs take a look at Model Aerospace Co. They still have a few silo launch sets and some of the rocket two packs for cheap.

I tried Model Aerospace Co. but they do not answer their phone or return emails. The only reason I want the silo is to put in the collection and will never use it. Their 800 number is disconnected.

I tried Model Aerospace Co. but they do not answer their phone or return emails. The only reason I want the silo is to put in the collection and will never use it. Their 800 number is disconnected.

Well that's a shame, their website doesn't mention that they've gone out of business but I'd be very hesitant to do business with a company that doesn't respond to emails. I did order from them a few years back IIRC, I believe that's where my Little Joe II set came from.

I have a few silo sets that I too am keeping as collectables.

Well that's a shame, their website doesn't mention that they've gone out of business but I'd be very hesitant to do business with a company that doesn't respond to emails. I did order from them a few years back IIRC, I believe that's where my Little Joe II set came from.

I have a few silo sets that I too am keeping as collectables.

I tried to call again on the only number that works and all it does is ring. Then I sent my 3rd and final email and if they do not respond I am going to delete them from my book marks!

My first MicroMaxx set came today.

Ordered a few MicroMaxx rockets from Leading Edge Rocketry Micro Bertha, Micro Yellow Jacket and Micro Patriot.
Thanks
Jeff

Ordered a few MicroMaxx rockets from Leading Edge Rocketry Micro Bertha, Micro Yellow Jacket and Micro Patriot.
Thanks
Jeff

You're gonna love the way those fly. Enjoy!

You're gonna love the way those fly. Enjoy!

A new friend of mine that lives here in Macon that I meant on the forums here told me a way to make the Saturn be more stable. I am sure it will not be as good as the ones I have ordered.

SV-rear.jpg

Back