Playin' With Fire - Flight Report

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recommend trying the polyurethane minwax cans. I had some semi clear gloss in my house and tried it on the 4" tube I made and it turned out really great. I wonder how it would be with the clear gloss one? Best part is they have those EZ touch nozzles.

Alexander Solis

Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

By the way those flames look wicked.

Alexander Solis

FINALLY finished with this.

Threw some paint on the fincan to tie it all togeather. I think it turned out pretty nicely!
IMG_0578.jpg
There's me with the PWF and my 54. A bit of a size comparison.

IMG_0566.jpg
There it is all by itself.

Alex

FINALLY finished with this.

Threw some paint on the fincan to tie it all togeather. I think it turned out pretty nicely!
View attachment 177858
There's me with the PWF and my 54. A bit of a size comparison.

View attachment 177859
There it is all by itself.

Alex

Wow Alex, fantastic job, love the paint scheme and can't want to see pics, videos and read your flight threads.

Alex, I'm really impressed with how you've mastered composite construction.

You're doing really nice work!

-Kevin

The flames truely turned out magnificent. Good work Alex, may the flights go all too well.

Alexander Solis

Just catching up with this thread... Well done, Alex! Looks awesome! Wish I could be there to see it fly - don't forget pictures and video of launch.
You're right, Von Karmon nosecones with the aluminum tip ARE cool looking... I couldn't help but upgrade my rocket to include one of those (4"). ;)

I like your altimeter choices, by the way. I used that exact same combination in my L3, and everything worked precisely as planned.

Like yours, I as well may have showered with a section of airframe from my rocket back in the early days of the build...

Don't you dare lose this rocket on some into-the-stratosphere flight with no tracking. I want to see it in person some day at a launch that we both get to attend.

s6

That's incredible! Looks great!

Best of luck on the undoubtedly incredible soon to come flights!!

Nate

Just catching up with this thread... Well done, Alex! Looks awesome! Wish I could be there to see it fly - don't forget pictures and video of launch.
You're right, Von Karmon nosecones with the aluminum tip ARE cool looking... I couldn't help but upgrade my rocket to include one of those (4"). ;)

I like your altimeter choices, by the way. I used that exact same combination in my L3, and everything worked precisely as planned.

Like yours, I as well may have showered with a section of airframe from my rocket back in the early days of the build...
Thanks, Wilson! You bet I'll get vids and such. Videos are a bit of a specialty for me. I'm hoping my altims work out for me. This is a bit out of the altitude range of the RRC3.
That turned out great, Alex! You are an artisan!
Thanks, Captain!
Don't you dare lose this rocket on some into-the-stratosphere flight with no tracking. I want to see it in person some day at a launch that we both get to attend.

s6
I better pray to the rocket gods for mercy. Hopefully, I'll see you at a launch soon. Say...those launches in southern UT arn't too far. Maybe I'll make it down there some time or another. I'm still a bit concerned with tracking. I've been trying to get my BRB to hook up to my netbook, but it's not working. If people want to discuss this with me further, PM me. I dont want to derail my thread. If necessary, I can borrow someones tracker.
That's incredible! Looks great!

Best of luck on the undoubtedly incredible soon to come flights!!

Nate
Thanks Nate!

Alex

Thanks, Wilson! You bet I'll get vids and such. Videos are a bit of a specialty for me. I'm hoping my altims work out for me. This is a bit out of the altitude range of the RRC3.
My pleasure, Alex. Look forward to it! Indeed, you may be pushing the limits of the (Sport) RRC3, but that's why you use redundants...

I think the electrolytic cap is going to be juuuust fine. The Google-Aeropac team used RDAS Tiny's to 100,000 feet, and those have electrolytic capacitors.

This isn't going to be in a balloon or in orbit, so there's hardly be enough time for a capacitor to boil off.

I think the electrolytic cap is going to be juuuust fine. The Google-Aeropac team used RDAS Tiny's to 100,000 feet, and those have electrolytic capacitors.

This isn't going to be in a balloon or in orbit, so there's hardly be enough time for a capacitor to boil off.

Im just wonder how accurate it'll be compared to my Stratologger. Only 1 way to find out.

T-2 weeks exactly until launch.

Alex

That is one good looking rocket! Something to be proud of there! Now, don't loose it, don't crash it, and bring it home to fly on something mellow at a UROC launch so we can all ooh and ahh at it!
-Ken

I've been working on the second fincan for PWF.

Im unstable on anything less then an 7600 motor, so ill be finishing the one before the redesign.

Heres a set of 3/4 inch proline fillets.
image.jpg

Alex

Disturbed the peace with an ejection charge test moments ago. I tried 1g of 4F BP with good results! I might use a tiny bit more for the actual flight.

[video=youtube;ag4GUe89yNE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag4GUe89yNE&[/video]

Alex

Oh No!!! It's Starting to Rain!!! Just seeing this, I like the look of that a lot!!!

I've been working on the second fincan for PWF.

Im unstable on anything less then an 7600 motor, so ill be finishing the one before the redesign.

Heres a set of 3/4 inch proline fillets.
View attachment 178337

Alex

And I thought I made ugly fillets, lol. J/K, I know the epoxy outside the fillet gets sanded away. Couldn't resist though.

Manny posted this picture to facebook last night.
10574460_662247363865411_1953310115106202699_n.jpg

Now, I don't know much about EX but those grains are looking good! Only 3 days until launch.

Alex

And I thought I made ugly fillets, lol. J/K, I know the epoxy outside the fillet gets sanded away. Couldn't resist though.

Eh, I'll blame it on the tape! Sometimes masking tape and peel ply don't play nicely together. It lifted up and a bit of epoxy got under it.

Alex

I cannot wait to see video/pictures of this rocket!

Just a few more days Alex! Are you leaving on Thursday?

I'm going to assume that the tube buckled. The hand laid tubes look really nice, but process improvement is really necessary for extreme flights in "larger" tubes with unsupported spans.

But again, just an assumption.

Back