History of HPR Levels?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majordude

Swimsuit Model
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Why did both the NAR and Tripoli come up with "Levels"? Was that their idea or a government and/or insurance regulation/recommendation?

Last edited:
It started back in the late 80's or early 90's Tripoli did.
The NAR was totally against HP and would ban anyone attempting to go that route.
In the early stages there was just one level: Fly an H or bigger and you were certified.
Around 1994 they went to a 3 tier system, that we have today.

An H was considered Class B explosives back then like they have in fireworks today.
Your were required to have a ATF permit to buy store and use such motors.

It was a form of self regulation.

I do miss the real SU motors from back then.
I still have the spent casings!

JD

What I don’t understand is why the written exam about safety is only at Level 2 with NAR and Tripoli. It should be right at the start with Lev 1 , like here with the CAR.

‘’ don’t make it too hard we want to sell big motors ‘’

What I don’t understand is why the written exam about safety is only at Level 2 with NAR and Tripoli. It should be right at the start with Lev 1 , like here with the CAR.

‘’ don’t make it too hard we want to sell big motors ‘’

That would make a lot of sense. Essentially when you get into L1 HPR the regulations kick in that apply to class 2 rockets. L1 powered and L2 powered flight operations are very similar besides things like safe distances.

Back