What is Best Way to Install Pem Nuts in G10 Board?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4kids49

Taz
Reaction score
What is the best way to install 4-40 Pem nuts in .062 inch G10 board for electronics mounting? The diam. of the insert part of the pem nut is 0.184 inch. I am pretty sure that I need to drill a 0.166 inch hole, and then press into board. Do I need a punch and anvil? Will a pliers work? If I need a punch and anvil, where would I get one? Thanks.

Chris

Last edited:
Drill the appropriate size hole then align the pem nut and pull it thru by tightening the screw.

I use a bench mounted vice or even a bar clamp and squeeze the board and nut together. I find it easier/faster, although the screw method works well also.

I use a bench mounted vice or even a bar clamp and squeeze the board and nut together. I find it easier/faster, although the screw method works well also.

Thanks Chris. I thought of the vice I might try that. I don't have a lot of pem nuts or I would experiment. The screw method seems pretty easy, but the screws I have use a very small allen wrench to drive them. I will give them both a try.

I use ViceGrips. Easy peasy.

All the best, James

I have found that the recommended drill, .166/#19, makes a very tight fit and I have cracked boards, particularly if the mounting hole is close to the edge of the board. I switched to a slightly larger drill, 11/64", and the nuts are still secure but I am no longer cracking boards. To mount the nuts I use the flat jaws on my vise when possible or pliers similar to these: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-swivel-pad-lock-grip-pliers-39534.html

You might find it easier to use a surface mount PEM nut designed for a PCB. At least it has less risk of board damage than a press fit. PEM part number is SMTSO-440-X-ET and are basically designed to be soldered to a pad on the PCB.

You might find it easier to use a surface mount PEM nut designed for a PCB. At least it has less risk of board damage than a press fit. PEM part number is SMTSO-440-X-ET and are basically designed to be soldered to a pad on the PCB.

Does it work on unclad G10?

Ah, the SMT pem do require a pad to solder to. So they may not work for you.

The bench vise method probaly has better control of the pressure, over using pliers. You could also use a c-clamp if the pads on the clamp are big enough. If you try the 4-40 screw method I would suggest puttting a washer on the screw to help spread the loading

Back