My 2013 Balls Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan,
Aeropoxy is great stuff but it has a tendency to "blush". Amine blush is the technical term, I think. Try soap and water with a scotch-brite and it should take care of the waxy surface.
Scott w
TRA 7726

I wanted that nice aligator finish to my rockets...trying some of the golf ball affect..so I followed the directions on the cans of Rustoleum! Not sure if you can see the affect in the photos of not. They are good from a far and far from good. Some of the paint not going to be around long anyway!

2.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

I just need to make a few motors and I'll be ready.

Tony

Very nice Tony. One of these days my T2T layups might look almost that nice. I still need to paint mine.

Are you bringing these to XPRS?

I get better with each rocket..you might too! : )

I'm flying the 54mm on a K950 Wimpy Fast at XPRS..not sure if I'm bringing the big one or not..I have a full pick-up as it is.

Tony

another nice build from Tony, great work yet again!!! Can't wait to see it fly. Hope I can catch the flight and get some photos of it with my camera. See you on the playa!!!

Looks great Tony!!!:clap:

Looking forward to seeing it fly out there!

-Eric-

Getting close..

Rocket 75" 7.125# ready to fly less motor.
IMG_0092.jpg

The guts..
IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

some paint, some of this and some of that and it will be done...

Tony

Tony,

I noticed that you run your ARTS2 in a single battery configuration. Is this because you have low current e-matches, or are you doing something differently?

Eat Sleep and Fly...I missed your post. I was not able to make it to Balls ...stayed home to help a friend.

Dan, I've just been using normal ematches https://lokiresearch.com/Documents/ARTS2_Manual_V1.0.0.pdf page 5
I like them for the "motor" info to double check my burnsim info...But, I get different info with them now using Windows 7.

I have 3 Ravens..but am afraid I'm going to program them to deploy the chute after impact. I'm working on learning how to program them.

Tony

Eat Sleep and Fly...I missed your post. I was not able to make it to Balls ...stayed home to help a friend.

Dan, I've just been using normal ematches https://lokiresearch.com/Documents/ARTS2_Manual_V1.0.0.pdf page 5
I like them for the "motor" info to double check my burnsim info...But, I get different info with them now using Windows 7.

I have 3 Ravens..but am afraid I'm going to program them to deploy the chute after impact. I'm working on learning how to program them.

Tony

Being one of the lucky people to have lost an ARTS2 and rocket to a single-battery ARTS, I am real concerned with this. Have you used the e-matches sold by Crazy Jim on the forum? The instructions say the firing circuit is limited to 500 mAh, while the e-matches require 400 mAh to fire. Sure, it should work, but I have my doubts in the back of my mind...

Mostly Davey Fire and JTex. Last year I switched to flying home made. The ARTS and ARTS2 worked fine with them.

Tony

Incredible! Really great looking rocket. What's the forward closure of the motor case made from? I take it the 3" smoke grain is not full diameter?

Really neat. I don't know if I'll be able to see it fly, but I hope I can make it down!

I want to see it fly too! The FC was made from 3" round. I went with the extra smoke length for a couple reasons...mainly to take some of the propellant length out, for the first flight. I've done some long propellant lengths in the past, 72" in a 5" motor, 59" in a 98mm motor. I have no reason to believe this motor "when" filled won't work either...I just wussed out on this flight. I must be gettin old.

Tony

... of aluminum you then had anodized?

more like ...of aluminum that I then anodized. I've got skills! Still looking for those girls that like guys with skills.

Anodizing is fairly easy to do small things. The bigger "things" get then you need to start dealing with cooling or heating large quanities of acid, dyes and water. The biggest thing I've done is a 6 grain 4" screw together motor that I made. That took some doing to anodize.

Tony

more like ...of aluminum that I then anodized. I've got skills! Still looking for those girls that like guys with skills.

Anodizing is fairly easy to do small things. The bigger "things" get then you need to start dealing with cooling or heating large quanities of acid, dyes and water. The biggest thing I've done is a 6 grain 4" screw together motor that I made. That took some doing to anodize.

Tony

Hardcore! I like it! =)

I was not able to make it to Balls. But I was able to test fly "Son of Speedy" this past weekend. I made the motor 11 months ago. It seemed to work OK. 40 inches of Swamp Gas. I did change out both altimeters to ones I had not used before. Lets just say I'm glad I had dual electronics. I did get enough charges to fire at the proper times for a good safe flight.

[video=youtube_share;5_rtwDWC-X0]https://youtu.be/5_rtwDWC-X0[/video]

Also, if you're wondering about flying into clouds, our waiver allows it. The clouds were not as thick as they appear in the video.

Tony

Last edited:
Wow almost 300,000' out of an M that's pretty good :)

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Some shots of Tony's flight

(Not the best, still getting the hang of it.)

IMG_0552.jpg
Start.jpg
cruising 1.jpg
cruising2.jpg
IMG_0578.jpg

that's a nice launch Tony thanks for sharing. too bad about the clouds

Flew it again at Aeronaut. On a different propellant M2400

Todd Harrison got some cool photos...The last photos show what happens when you loose one side of the exit cone. It recovered from the mishap and only went to 24K. I flying it again at XPRS with a reinforced phenolic nozzle.

SP1.jpg
sp2.jpg
sp3.jpg
sp4.jpg
sp5.jpg

Tony

Last edited:
Anything for you Jim!

[video=youtube;TxbzY7J2BVM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxbzY7J2BVM[/video]

I'm happy that the rocket was able too recover from the mishap and not come apart. The loss of the exit cone did affect the altitude...it only made it to 24K.

Tony

Back