Ground tarp

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My club uses fiberglass blankets, works great. Be careful about what you get, some of them will get you really itchy when they come in contact with skin

I am looking for something to put on the ground to help protect from fire. Of coarse I always have a fire extinguisher. Would one of this work OK?
Thanks
Jeff

Are you launching low power or high power stuff?
Is your existing launcher a design that sits close to the ground (or up on a tripod or stand)?
What kind of ground cover do you normally encounter? grass? weeds?
Is your launch area anywhere near a small road, driveway, or parking lot?

Are you launching low power or high power stuff?
Is your existing launcher a design that sits close to the ground (or up on a tripod or stand)?
What kind of ground cover do you normally encounter? grass? weeds?
Is your launch area anywhere near a small road, driveway, or parking lot?

Right now just low power but I am building two mid power rockets I hope to launch soon.
Yes grass and weeds. The place I will be using is a old cattle farm but not being used now.
I will be building a launch pad for my mid rockets and the pad is going to be at least 3 feet off the ground do to my age and health.
No cement or asphalt to launch off of.
Thanks
Jeff

PS I have the owners permission he is a good friend of mine.

Right now just low power but I am building two mid power rockets I hope to launch soon.
Yes grass and weeds. The place I will be using is a old cattle farm but not being used now.
I will be building a launch pad for my mid rockets and the pad is going to be at least 3 feet off the ground do to my age and health.
No cement or asphalt to launch off of.
Thanks
Jeff

PS I have the owners permission he is a good friend of mine.

1) Don't launch sparky motors unless the ground is bare. Bare means plowed.
2) I set a portable table up and set my launcher up on top of that. Keeps the rockets up off the ground and makes it MUCH easier to set up and hook up, as well as making it more visible. Plus, keeping it up higher off the ground minimizes the fire danger.
3) Always pay attention to the launch conditions, and act accordingly. If it's hot and dry and lots of dry standing grass, DON'T LAUNCH... the risk of fire doesn't stop at launch... there's always the possibility of the rocket tipping off the launch rod, or having some other sort of malfunction (like a cato) that would cause the rocket to crash into dry grass, fire the ejection charge (or indeed still be burning) and start a fire... Of course in such an eventuality, it's most likely the rocket will land well away from the tarp set up under the pad. In fact, most fire incidents at launches are caused by this sort of thing, not directly at the launch pad.
4) If possible, have the grass as short as possible at the launch. Dry standing grass is a high fire danger. If possible, carry a weed eater with you and cut the grass short in as wide an area as possible around the launch pad, out to the setback distance (30 feet) required for MPR motors. Wet standing grass, or green standing grass (still lush and growing) isn't much of a risk. Dry grass cut down and laying flat is a risk, but less risk than dry standing grass. Not only does shorter or cut grass present less fire risk, it's also easier and safer to move around the launch site to prepare and launch the rocket.

A fire extinguisher is certainly a good idea. But just as important, if not more so, is to not launch in high risk conditions-- excessively dry standing grass (fuel load), hot, dry windy conditions that promote the spread of fire and make fires easier to start, and not to launch sparky motors unless the ground is completely free of ALL vegetation for a distance of 70 feet from the launch pad in all directions, as required.

Later and good luck! OL JR :)

Thank the Lord I have been launching rockets off and on for 45 years with out a problem. With all the rain we have had this year so far no worry about fire hazards but that could change.

Do not think my friend is going to let me dig up a 70 foot circle. I have not checked the place out other then when I have been by to visit. Hopefully I will go check it out this weekend.

All so my only transportation my rig (motorcycle with sidecar) But I have plenty of room for taking enough for launching rockets.
Thanks
Jeff

1) Don't launch sparky motors unless the ground is bare. Bare means plowed.
2) I set a portable table up and set my launcher up on top of that.
4) If possible, have the grass as short as possible at the launch. ..... If possible, carry a weed eater with you and cut the grass short in as wide an area as possible ....

Bare ground, elevated table, weed eater--- all good suggestions. And your original ground tarp idea is a good one too, 46U

It is always great if you can set up your launcher over a plowed patch of dirt, or on a paved surface, but that is not always possible.

Maybe design a sheet metal flame bucket to catch the exhaust, turn it around, and re-direct it upward? So it would cool off by the time any gases or particles fell back to the ground?

One thing I have wondered about is whether anyone has ever tried setting up their big motors to exhaust into a bucket of water under the launcher. (This is kinda over-kill for the lowpower motors that I launch.)

Bare plowed ground is not always the best idea . At Nerrf 1 , thete was a sparky that set the dry nitrogen rich soil on fire . You could see smoke coming up through the dirt . It took about an hour to put it out completly .

Eric

If you are gonna use sparky motors, you are just begging to start a ground fire.

Thank the Lord I have been launching rockets off and on for 45 years with out a problem. With all the rain we have had this year so far no worry about fire hazards but that could change.

Do not think my friend is going to let me dig up a 70 foot circle. I have not checked the place out other then when I have been by to visit. Hopefully I will go check it out this weekend.

All so my only transportation my rig (motorcycle with sidecar) But I have plenty of room for taking enough for launching rockets.
Thanks
Jeff

No need to "dig up a 70 foot circle" if you leave the friggin' firestarters ("sparky" motors) for desert launches or when snow is on the ground or ankle deep mud and wet grass... (or better yet leave the "fireworks" effects for fireworks and buy non-sparky motors).

The main thing is just to be careful, be smart, and use good judgment and NOT fly if it's too dry, too windy, etc...

Later! OL JR :)

Last edited:
If you are gonna use sparky motors, you are just begging to start a ground fire.

Exactly... that is PRECISELY why sparky motors are BANNED from flying off my property, period, regardless of power level.

If you want to fly them, go 65 miles east or 150 miles north to the nearest fields that don't care if you burn them off...

Later! OL JR :)

i have been laying one of these https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=welding+blanket on top of the old cheapy plastic tarp...the latter helps protect the welding blanket from the ground. the blanket is _heavy_!

might try one of those you listed...
+1 CMASS has been using fiberglass welding blanket for at least 4 years on our high power pads. The best way to put our a pad fire is with a fire broom. They cost about $15 each from a safety/forestry supply house. You want at least 2. An Indian fire extinguisher costs ~$150 and holds 5 gallons. You should have at least one. A poor man's Indian is a garden sprayer for your local home store that holds at least 2 gallons. Good to put out the hot spots after using the brooms.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30240008/?query=PATRULL+Fire+blanket

Believe me, the IKEA Fire blanket is the cheapest and most effective protection you can get... and you can use it to protect your chutes in the airframes too...it is glossy, robust and slips perfectly at ejection...
It's fine but it's not large enough for high power catos. Our fiberglass welding blankets are 8'x8' and we use 4 of them at our L2 pads. And we have a few burn thrus.

When we fly HP at our large field ,nothing is done in fall after field is plowed except for fire extinguishers and backpack water suppression.

In spring early summer ,when launching from the berm ,we first use the gas trimmer and clear a large area ,then use the welding/fireblankets mentioned and again fire suppression on hand close to the pads ,as well as rakes.

Paul T

Back