CONTRAIL HYBRID CLUSTER

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wicked cool Denis, I have not seen a cluster hybrid project go in a long time... looking forward to the pics and video, Good Luck, and Have FUN!

IT WORKED AS HELLLLLLLLLLL

IT WAS LOUD AS HELLLLLLLLL

More to come the coming days / pics/vids

3x K cluster hybrid start pic.jpg

Today I saw the most awesome model rocket launch ever!

The 3 Cluster Hybrid flight was a complete success and it was out of this world!

Denis_3-Cluster_Hybrid.jpg

(Sorry, no lift-off pictures)

Congrats dudu, I would have loved to see that. The more I read about hybrids, the more I want to try them.

I must say it was the most unbelievable moment in my rocketeer career so far, much more thrill than the past M hybrids I started..

Here the first start pic, the rocket is nearly 3 yards long (3m):

3xK hybrid cluster start -AH.jpg

Thx and all credits & copyrights to Andreas Hader

PS: the tank was NOT under fire but 4 yards away, it is simply in the axis of the picture...

Last edited:
Wow! Make me want to cluster my micro hybrid even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I must say it was the most unbelievable moment in my rocketeer career so far, much more thrill than the past M hybrids I started..

View attachment 182223

PS: the tank was NOT under fire but 4 yards away, it is simply in the axis of the picture...

I find it interesting that the sparky hybrids emit a linear stream of sparks, not the big wide cone of AP motors.

That is an awesome shot Denis, glad everything came together for you on another successful hybrid flight. Cannot wait to see the video!

Here you go... turn the volume up....

The guy going on his knees..it's me, just half of a sec before pressing the red button. I admit, my pants were wet....I was looking for some cover obviously :rofl:

Start of the 3 K motors was immediate, faster than any AP motor I know...Who said hybrids are difficult to light??

The push was tremendous, around 3x 800Ns peak at start, you see it on the video, even if the bid was nearly 45 pounds on the ramp the acceleration is amazing..and imagine..each motor had only...slow speed *lol*...

Best thx to Andreas Hader for this footage, all his credit & rights.

Now ..enjoy!

[video=youtube_share;76HGrBjmawk]https://youtu.be/76HGrBjmawk[/video]

Last edited:
Interesting first picture, few moments before motors start...the vent plume of all 3 tanks is nicely recognizable.

img_8918-800.jpgimg_8922-800.jpgimg_8923-800.jpgimg_8934-800.jpgimg_8939-800.jpgimg_8959-800.jpg

All pics with copyright Andreas Hader

Last edited:
That is just freaking awesome! Are those Rocketman parachutes?

Now the ignition sequence from Gopros near the pad... 3 sequences in one film...

[video=youtube_share;kuvblLcuOP0]https://youtu.be/kuvblLcuOP0[/video]

Awesome Denis! Congrats on such a successful flight!

Thx Dave & Friends @ TRF.... It is a great feeling to challenge you guys *lol*...more to expect from us in Europe next year :)

Nevertheless I have zoomed some large shots of that memorable flight. The Vent of the 3 Tanks and the 3 Motors in action during flight, the proof it worked..

img_8919-800.jpg
CLUSTER in flight detail.jpg

Last edited:
Now the ignition sequence from Gopros near the pad... 3 sequences in one film...

[video=youtube_share;kuvblLcuOP0]https://youtu.be/kuvblLcuOP0[/video]

What a perfect ignition. Whats next? Can't wait to see you stage hybrids. It is hard to believe that they are hybrid motors. The rapid ignition and the sparks are like no other hybrid. Contrail Rockets is proud to have you as a Vendor. Keep up your advertising. We love your video evidence showing that Contrail Rockets Kicks Butt.:cheers::cheers::cheers:

I have been thinking of throttling my M hybrids.
I also drag race motorcycles and we have miniature progressive controllers and solenoids that:

You could ignite the M hybrid at 100% then 1 or 2 sec later, throttle back to 70% and then ramp up back to 100% at the very end of the burn.
I may work on it this winter.

Génial; Denis you make me talk about my idea about hybrid cluster ; If we can build an hybrid with a valve to control the flow of the Nitrous, ( and it’s not that hard ) we can do 2 things ;
1- Make the motors throttle until we sure they are all ignite
2- Control the stability of the flight; if the rocket go on one side we can lower the trust on the other sides ( I'm talking about 3 clusters ) , it should make it return on a more stable vertical climb

OK, looks like we have some new contrail hybridz cluster plumbing ongoing in my workshop tonite :)

WP_20141005_025.jpg WP_20141006_001.jpg

coming weekend we fly in Italy near Bologna at the ESA radio telescope site again a 3x cluster hybrid, this time in a smaller configuration as we have less waiwer: only 36 inches casings (3x J 416). This may be spectacular again (sparkies new mix), this time with the medium speed, approx 1000 NS x3 at peak/start. Sounds like a solid K total impulse range at the end :)

This shall be good enough for the crowd (Italian Girlz!) and 1200m of flight...Last year we burned the field partially with my 75mm L-sparky. Big Panic on the ground...mama mia !!
This time they asked me to bring additional fire estinguishers *lol*...I think we will top that easily with the 3x 54mm :rofl: I will report the Italian Rocketry Meeting next week.
D.

Last edited:
Good Luck Denis!

Your going to beat me by a week on this configuration! Mine goes up on the 18th, weather permitting.

Jason

OK, looks like we have some new contrail hybridz cluster plumbing ongoing in my workshop tonite :)

View attachment 186435 View attachment 186436

coming weekend we fly in Italy near Bologna at the ESA radio telescope site again a 3x cluster hybrid, this time in a smaller configuration as we have less waiwer: only 36 inches casings (3x J 416). This may be spectacular again (sparkies new mix), this time with the medium speed, approx 1000 NS x3 at peak/start. Sounds like a solid K total impulse range at the end :)

This shall be good enough for the crowd (Italian Girlz!) and 1200m of flight...Last year we burned the field partially with my 75mm L-sparky. Big Panic on the ground...mama mia !!
This time they asked me to bring additional fire estinguishers *lol*...I think we will top that easily with the 3x 54mm :rofl: I will report the Italian Rocketry Meeting next week.
D.

Back