A hideous launch day

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im probably stupid for asking this, but what does CATO stand for...

Only stupid question is one that isn't asked... and this one depends VERY MUCH on who you ask... LOL:)

Some say CATO stands for "Catastrophe At Take-Off" or some variation thereof... of course others will VOCIFEROUSLY state that CATO is incorrect, that it's NOT an acronym at all, and is short for "catastrophe" or some such... It all depends on how anal-retentive you are about it I guess...

Basically, a CATO is a motor failure, usually the result of overpressurization of the motor casing by the propellant, sometimes resulting in a large BANG! when the motor basically "explodes" and ejects the hard pellet (grain) of propellant and delay material as a burning slug (or several chunks) of burning propellant at high temperature, usually roasting the rocket to a crisp or blowing it to pieces. Sometimes its caused by a separation of the propellant grain slug from the casing walls, with the result that the burning chunk of propellant is blown out the top of the casing and through the rocket and out the top in an "explosive" ejection of chunk(s) of burning propellant and materials, again usually burning the rocket to a crisp. Sometimes the motor comes apart less "energetically" and doesn't go "boom" but merely spits out the nozzle at or shortly after ignition, and then sits there on the pad blowing flames and bits of burning propellant out the back of the motor in a broad, gushing flame, much like a road flare... this usually roasts the back end of the rocket to varying degrees, depending on how far the back of the rocket is off the deflector plate. I've had an E9 do this to me and seen another E9 do it to a good friend's rocket.

Basically a cato is, in the fullest extent of the definition, any unintentional motor operation condition that leads to unanticipated damage to the casing of the motor, and usually results in some level of damage to the rocket holding the motor...

Make sense?? Later! OL JR :)

CATO could stand for "Carefully Arranged Tree Ornaments" or at least that's what we say in my club....

Im sure other people have given plenty of good insite but I though I would share my experience. Last year I used a b64 motor on my estes yankee. After ignition the motor spurted and then took off and I never saw the rocket again. When I contacted estes with the sitiuation they sent me a replacement yankee. If you have not already, contact estes. They have very good customer service.

Back