Altimeter Bay Pics

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats the difference between "pleasing" the L3CC and verifying that the method used would meet the criteria set forth in the NAR L3 requirements. In my case I sent the drawing to Kent and asked if my interpretation of the requirement agreed with his interpretation. Prior to that I had already contacted Missleworks and Eggtimer to verify for myself the proper configuration, then with that information it was submitted to my L3CC.

Sorry Kurt, but stuff happens.

I agree - leave them where they landed, fluff up the chute (at Brothers, dress it over some sage), note the location and report it back to launch control.

Nice idea, but not always possible.

I have had a "BAD" situation at Balls a few years back.
We were one of the last teams leaving the playa and we came across a rocket that was partially deployed (no main, broken fin) and was lying there beeping.

"Noting the location and giving somebody a GPS coordinate" was not an option because nobody was left to give the coordinates to.
We had to take the rocket because it wasn't nice to leave litter on the playa to piss off the BLM plus we were sure somebody wanted it..but it was a freaking twist and tuck.

It took us about a half an hour to find something (we were packed) that could fish out the wire and get it to shut up.
There was no way it was going to ride 550 miles in the back of the van armed, especially since we had no idea what avionics were involved or what condition it was in.
It DID have a charge that didn't fire.

So don't give me crap that this situation doesn't happen.
The rocket owner was very happy to get his rocket back and vowed to never use twist and tuck again.

A switch on the side marked "ARM" and "SAFE" is SO MUCH MORE FRIENDLY and SAFER.

Over literally hundreds of flights, my team has never had a switch fail or accidently turn off.
I'd rather do what I can to make the rocket flight and recovery as safe as possible for everyone instead of taking building/wiring shortcuts because I'm lazy and want convenience.

Ok - nuff said - I'll shut up now on this topic.

How about if the altimeter fires the charges one more time right after landing, "just in case"? Unless you come in really hard and it's dead anyway, that's going to be a "safe" situation.

I started out with Giant Leap's Slimline AV Bay. I had them a long time and made some good and simple improvements to the system to where it is reliable, nearly indestructible and made it so I can install new 9v batteries at the beginning of the meet and not have to open it until I get home Sunday night.
I have it so it installs in EVERY rocket from 4" all the way to 9", no need to have different AV bays for certain rockets.

1243.jpgAV Bay Intial Setup.jpg

I have 2 at the moment, one for 900' main deploy and the other at 700'.
I had a failure of one ignter at Culpeper, VA late last year.
I could tell the beeps at boot up showed I did not have good continuity on one of the two altimeters and I was not going to risk it.
With 18 minutes left on the waiver I was not going to let the Patriot leave the pad laying down.
My #2 AV bay was ready, screwed it in place, connect the chutes and well look below for the results.
9" Patriot (1st flight) on an M-1850W

[video]https://youtu.be/Riv201JYoEY[/video]

Last edited:
Sorry Kurt, but stuff happens.

I agree - leave them where they landed, fluff up the chute (at Brothers, dress it over some sage), note the location and report it back to launch control.

Nice idea, but not always possible.

I have had a "BAD" situation at Balls a few years back.
We were one of the last teams leaving the playa and we came across a rocket that was partially deployed (no main, broken fin) and was lying there beeping.

"Noting the location and giving somebody a GPS coordinate" was not an option because nobody was left to give the coordinates to.
We had to take the rocket because it wasn't nice to leave litter on the playa to piss off the BLM plus we were sure somebody wanted it..but it was a freaking twist and tuck.

It took us about a half an hour to find something (we were packed) that could fish out the wire and get it to shut up.
There was no way it was going to ride 550 miles in the back of the van armed, especially since we had no idea what avionics were involved or what condition it was in.
It DID have a charge that didn't fire.

So don't give me crap that this situation doesn't happen.
The rocket owner was very happy to get his rocket back and vowed to never use twist and tuck again.

A switch on the side marked "ARM" and "SAFE" is SO MUCH MORE FRIENDLY and SAFER.

Over literally hundreds of flights, my team has never had a switch fail or accidently turn off.
I'd rather do what I can to make the rocket flight and recovery as safe as possible for everyone instead of taking building/wiring shortcuts because I'm lazy and want convenience.

Ok - nuff said - I'll shut up now on this topic.

Unfortunate situation and cause for caution but if you don't have a key for a switch or the right plug for the jack or the right screw driver or ball nut driver you are still out of luck. I agree you are correct it would be easy if there was an accessible
switch and the finder knows what it takes to inactivate it. A keyswitch wouldn't have saved you here unless you had the right key on you. Twist and tuck. Never done that myself.

The crap that I'll give you it didn't blow on you did it? Did the recovery system appear to work? If it came down under drogue only ok there should be some caution here but if the altimeter is beeping out the altitude could be the
ematch failed and if you're not hearing a warning code again the level of fear/concern can be lower. If you can see the charge you can be sure one stays clear of it or if it's a long wire canister take a spade and snap the
wire with the shovel so you got some distance between you and the charge. I wouldn't take a wire cutters to the charge wire unless one has protective gear and it doesn't look that large.
I once disposed of a 1.5gm charge out in the open with a switch and damn that was loud. I bury before I blow no so's not to disrupt the neighbors.

What would you guys had done if it was controlled by a switch you could have access to but didn't have the proper implements to turn it off? Open the ebay?

Ummm, I carry a welders helmet with a clear impact resistant face shield and heavy leather gloves. Am not afraid to wear it especially when I have to lift up a bay in a rocket with a MAD unit in it to shut it off. Kurt

How about if the altimeter fires the charges one more time right after landing, "just in case"? Unless you come in really hard and it's dead anyway, that's going to be a "safe" situation.

Cris if it's "right" after landing, there usually isn't anyone around it yet. You have any reports of issues with weird behavior of your Quantums, remote switches or TRS units?
I suspect if the build is successful I'd guess not. Kurt

Firing a charge on the ground would be a bad thing for grassland areas which get dry in late July through late September. We can clear grass and brush from around the launch site by we're very poor at clearing vegetation at the landing sites.
Although firing a charge might do that for us.

Unfortunate situation and cause for caution but if you don't have a key for a switch or the right plug for the jack or the right screw driver or ball nut driver you are still out of luck. I agree you are correct it would be easy if there was an accessible
switch and the finder knows what it takes to inactivate it. A keyswitch wouldn't have saved you here unless you had the right key on you. Twist and tuck. Never done that myself.

The crap that I'll give you it didn't blow on you did it? Did the recovery system appear to work? If it came down under drogue only ok there should be some caution here but if the altimeter is beeping out the altitude could be the
ematch failed and if you're not hearing a warning code again the level of fear/concern can be lower. If you can see the charge you can be sure one stays clear of it or if it's a long wire canister take a spade and snap the
wire with the shovel so you got some distance between you and the charge. I wouldn't take a wire cutters to the charge wire unless one has protective gear and it doesn't look that large.
I once disposed of a 1.5gm charge out in the open with a switch and damn that was loud. I bury before I blow no so's not to disrupt the neighbors.

What would you guys had done if it was controlled by a switch you could have access to but didn't have the proper implements to turn it off? Open the ebay?

Ummm, I carry a welders helmet with a clear impact resistant face shield and heavy leather gloves. Am not afraid to wear it especially when I have to lift up a bay in a rocket with a MAD unit in it to shut it off. Kurt

All good reasons not to use switches that require a special tool to disarm. You're also presuming that it will be a rocket person who finds the rocket. At our launch site it's just as likely to be a rancher or fisherman. Having a very clearly marked way to safe the rocket may protect them and protect our surrounding landowner relationships.
You can continue coming up with less and less credible reasons to avoid mechanical switches Kurt, but the fact is that one mechanical switch, easily manipulated by an untrained person or even a loop of wire that protrudes outside the e-bay, along with a label explaining what to do and whom to call, would be safer.
I still really like the ease of a mechanical switch in line with the enhanced safety of something like the WiFi switch.

All good reasons not to use switches that require a special tool to disarm. You're also presuming that it will be a rocket person who finds the rocket. At our launch site it's just as likely to be a rancher or fisherman. Having a very clearly marked way to safe the rocket may protect them and protect our surrounding landowner relationships.
You can continue coming up with less and less credible reasons to avoid mechanical switches Kurt, but the fact is that one mechanical switch, easily manipulated by an untrained person or even a loop of wire that protrudes outside the e-bay, along with a label explaining what to do and whom to call, would be safer.
I still really like the ease of a mechanical switch in line with the enhanced safety of something like the WiFi switch.

Steve you are missing the point completely. No switch guarantees safety period. An easily accessible switch that a stranger can easily turn off the electronics without special tools is not likely out there. You gonna use a plain toggle for a dead man's switch on a rocket? Not advisable. My point is remote activation without a mechanical switch (ie. magnetic switch, WiFi switches or coded Rf switch) is NO less safe than using a mechanical switch.

Lost rocket? I think by the time 24 to 48 hours has passed the batteries will be dead and the device is no longer able to function.

Now your point about a mechanical switch with a remote switch. Heck yeah, it allows you to actually prep your rocket days in advance and you don't have to worry about draining your battery!
The other advantage to a mechanical switch on a Wifi/Remote switch is if the electronics it controls are involved with staging. Now that is excellent. Turn mechanical switch, the Wifi switch is on and the power is
not yet being sent to the staging electronics. Get a safe distance away, then activate the Wifi switch to power up. If need be, walk back to within earshot to listen for the ready to go beeping it should be safe
if the sustainer didn't fire when power was applied.

The remote devices and magnetic switches draw some current. It's nice if you have the room but with small projects it may be a whole heck of a lot easier to connect and secure the battery to the Wifi switch/device or magnetic switch button up the ebay onsite and go fly. I contend it is as safe as a mechanical switch for the above reasons. Fred pointed that out in his scenario. Beeping altimeter, no easy way to turn it off. If they didn't have a the key for a keyswitch or knew what type of screwdriver or ball nut driver to jam into the ebay to try and turn off the device they would still have been out of luck. In some ways they were lucky it was recognized it was twist and stuff and could fish out the wires. Funky switch? Then one is trying to decide whether to open the ebay up. I for one wouldn't be blindly sticking metallic implements into a rocket I didn't know. I'd be fearful of causing a dead short that bypasses the channel defect that prevented the charge to fire and get a bang. I think Fred would agree with that.

If you have a mythical switch that a stranger can activate easily I'm all ears and all for it. Placarding ok. Kinda hard on a small rocket. The writing would be too small. If you are contending that a switch makes everything safer you're wrong period.

People are going to present small rockets that are activated by mag switches or WiFi devices at launches, RSO's will pass them. They may or may not have a mechanical switch attached. The ones direct wired are just as dead
and just as safe as the ones with a mechanical switch inline. The altimeters will not be beeping when presented, they'll be taken to the pads, activated wirelessly and flown safely.
If they crash, they'll be no more dangerous than a switched device that no one has the key or the smarts to jam some sort of tool inside to shut off.

Kurt

Steve you are missing the point completely. No switch guarantees safety period. An easily accessible switch that a stranger can easily turn off the electronics without special tools is not likely out there. (Snip)

If you have a mythical switch that a stranger can activate easily I'm all ears and all for it. Placarding ok. Kinda hard on a small rocket. The writing would be too small. If you are contending that a switch makes everything safer you're wrong period.
(Snip)

Kurt

Here's what I do. This is a 4 inch rocket. I've done the same as small as 2.1 inch and as large as 7.5 inch.
Thrust keeps the switches in the on position. The only gee forces that can switch off the switches would be to strike something such as the ground. The switches are rated for 50 gees in six degrees of freedom.
I think you'll agree the text is large enough, but it could use a warning.
b82946046cebe3699e437912071bf019.jpg

Cannot argue with that. Nosecone is down in the picture? If it were an L3 project I bet there are folks that would question using a slide switch without seeing your spec sheet on the 50 G switches. Costly?
Nice and I am not being facetious here, Fred would have been ecstatic if your rocket was the one he found and I certainly would have no fear of it. Ah, do we have to make a rule change so everyone has to do it
the way you do for rockets of X size? Kurt

Cannot argue with that. Nosecone is down in the picture? If it were an L3 project I bet there are folks that would question using a slide switch without seeing your spec sheet on the 50 G switches. Costly?
Nice and I am not being facetious here, Fred would have been ecstatic if your rocket was the one he found and I certainly would have no fear of it. Ah, do we have to make a rule change so everyone has to do it
the way you do for rockets of X size? Kurt

Nosecone is up. Switches slide down to arm. Thrust keeps them there. Those switches are less than $5 as I recall.
I don't want additional rules. I just want people to understand how it can be done. By no means is it the only or even best way. But it's the best I've done so far.

I mount my slide switches horizontally.
No need for super-strength switches....certainly not 50G rated.

We have 100's of flights using the Switchcraft 50212LX 4PDT's at two per rocket....NEVER and issue.
You do need to glue down the metal tabs where they bend around the phenolic contact board and they are bullet-proof for our application.

Usually we cut a 1/4" x 1/2" slot in the switch-band and glue them to the inside of the EBay and sand off the handles so it does not protrude proud of the outside of the body.

Super simple. Very robust.
Mouser sells them for ~$6 in low quantity - I bought a few hundred at surplus for 25 cents each.
Have them in every rocket out team flies ... a few dozen of rockets, a few hundred flights.

A little label on the outside and the most you have to worry about is the label burning off and the handle melting when going over Mach2.....

EBay-SW.jpg

Yes, I'm sorry - I said I was done with this thread, but couldn't resist since Kurt keeps invoking my name.
This is a picture from my L3 from 13 years or so ago...it that happens to sit in my den so it was handy to pose for the shot.
Yes, it's a huge switch band .... I don't build them that big anymore....

Last edited:
Here's a non-standard avionics bay for ya. I've been meaning to do a post on this setup, but haven't gotten around to it. Here's the short version...

I 3d printed the sled. It fits in the avionics bay in my PML Quicksilver with just enough room at both ends for foam padding that holds it in place. I don't do deployment with this, so I don't have any wires that leave the bay. The avionics set up is for data logging and GPS tracking.

Parts:
Turnigy 2S 300mAh lipo battery
Ready To Fly Quads Micro M8N GPS
Featherweight magnetic switch
FrSky XSR
Seriously Pro F3 Evo quadcopter flight control board running Betaflight or iNav (both work great for GPS tracking & telemetry).
5V beeper
5V voltage regulator

The quadcopter flight control board is the brains. It listens to the GPS and its built-in G-meter, gyros & barometer then packs up all that data & zaps it out to the FrSky XSR. The XSR is an r/c aircraft receiver that also sends out telemetry. I use an FrSky Taranis radio (an r/c controller) to receive the telemetry. It shows me real time GPS coordinates, GPS altitude, speed, baro altitude along with max baro altitude (shown in AGL), max GPS altitude (in MSL) and max speed. With a 7dB patch antenna on the Taranis, it gets just under 3 miles of range when the rocket's about 6 feet off the ground. The Evo flight controller also has a built-in micro SD card that records the entire flight at up to 1000Hz. The Taranis also records the telemetry, but it's much slower at about 1Hz.

IMG_7671-2.jpg IMG_7672-2.jpg Taranis telemetry.jpg

Here's a non-standard avionics bay for ya. I've been meaning to do a post on this setup, but haven't gotten around to it. Here's the short version...

I 3d printed the sled. It fits in the avionics bay in my PML Quicksilver with just enough room at both ends for foam padding that holds it in place. I don't do deployment with this, so I don't have any wires that leave the bay. The avionics set up is for data logging and GPS tracking.

Parts:
FrSky XSR
Seriously Pro F3 Evo quadcopter flight control board running Betaflight or iNav (both work great for GPS tracking & telemetry).
5V beeper
5V voltage regulator

The quadcopter flight control board is the brains. It listens to the GPS and its built-in G-meter, gyros & barometer then packs up all that data & zaps it out to the FrSky XSR. The XSR is an r/c aircraft receiver that also sends out telemetry. I use an FrSky Taranis radio (an r/c controller) to receive the telemetry. It shows me real time GPS coordinates, GPS altitude, speed, baro altitude along with max baro altitude (shown in AGL), max GPS altitude (in MSL) and max speed. With a 7dB patch antenna on the Taranis, it gets just under 3 miles of range when the rocket's about 6 feet off the ground. The Evo flight controller also has a built-in micro SD card that records the entire flight at up to 1000Hz. The Taranis also records the telemetry, but it's much slower at about 1Hz.

View attachment 311242 View attachment 311243 View attachment 311244

Very cool!

Steve Shannon

Parts:
FrSky XSR
5V beeper
5V voltage regulator

View attachment 311242 View attachment 311243 View attachment 311244

I agree, this is very cool. Can you tell those of us who aren't RC guys us a little more about where you got this and if it was difficult to adapt for rocketry.

I usually buy my FrSky gear from Aloft Hobbies.

If you are interested in R/C, it's a very powerful radio for a fraction of the price of the big names. Really great stuff. Price is competitive with some brands of trackers too. It uses the 2.4Ghz unlicensed band, so no need for ham licenses, and is very resistant to interference. You can also use it to fly some of burkefj's really cool boost gliders. Just grab one of the little 4-channel receivers.

I've wondered a few times about using a quadcopter board for logging and such. They are pretty cheap these days and have a lot of capability with a built in IMU, F3/F4 CPUs, and storage. With some coding, and a couple transistors, we could make a staging and deployment controller out of one.

Here's what I do. This is a 4 inch rocket. I've done the same as small as 2.1 inch and as large as 7.5 inch.
Thrust keeps the switches in the on position. The only gee forces that can switch off the switches would be to strike something such as the ground. The switches are rated for 50 gees in six degrees of freedom.
I think you'll agree the text is large enough, but it could use a warning.
b82946046cebe3699e437912071bf019.jpg

Aren't you a bit worried about the harness turning off the switch?

Jim

Jim

Well, although it's never been a problem before, now I will be! [emoji15]

Actually, after seeing Fred's pictures, I decided I would see if I could move the switches inside the switchband with countersunk flat head screws on the outside so that the handles on the slide switches sit low or even slightly below the surface.

Thanks, Jim! I can see how that could happen, even though it never has yet.

Steve Shannon

That's why I mount the switches on the inside and sand down the slide handles so they don't protrude.

Well, although it's never been a problem before, now I will be! [emoji15]

Actually, after seeing Fred's pictures, I decided I would see if I could move the switches inside the switchband with countersunk flat head screws on the outside so that the handles on the slide switches sit low or even slightly below the surface.

Thanks, Jim! I can see how that could happen, even though it never has yet.

Steve Shannon

Years ago, I had a rocket with the PML CPR system, and it had an external switch. I thought it was a potential problem, so I put the switch on the altimeter board (starting a trend I guess). Since that time, I've seen many cases in my flights where the harness obviously strafed the body tube or fins.

Jim

I agree, this is very cool. Can you tell those of us who aren't RC guys us a little more about where you got this and if it was difficult to adapt for rocketry.
Thanks!! It was a really fun project to do. It's kinda fun to have a different setup than everyone else I meet.

I got sick today, so excuse me if this is a jumbled mess...

It's really hard for me to say. I've been doing work with r/c flight control boards for about 4 years, been doing r/c stuff for over 30, and working with real aircraft flight control computers on & off for about 25 years. I've been writing some code & doing lots of flight testing for various flight controllers, so I'm pretty familiar with it all. That said, my guess is just about anyone who can wire up standard rocket avionics could put a similar setup together without too much trouble. There are some different aspects to it though like setting up the GPS through an FTDI & U-blox's u-center and loading firmware & changing configurations on the flight control boards. There are probably YouTube videos or blog posts out there that cover every part of it. For rocket specific stuff like my setup here, I really should do a big how-to post. If other people are interested in putting this kind of thing together, that'd save people a bunch of time.

It's not designed for rockets, but it seems to work really well. The biggest gotcha with it is that if you don't have a controller radio with telemetry (like the Taranis), then the cost of getting all the parts starts to get right up there with the dedicated rocket avionics. To do any chute firing, you'd have to modify the flight control code and build a circuit to handing the power going to the charges. The accelerometers in most r/c flight control boards are usually set for a max range of 8G's. Many can be toggled to 16, but getting above that is probably not something you'll find without going to dedicated rocket avionics. You could still back out acceleration from the baro data though.

For me, I just wanted to do motor ejection with this Quicksilver. The biggest I'll probably ever put in it is a small J (like a J270W) and that'll take it up in the 6500' range. With a max of a 20mph wind the max the rocket should ever drift is about 1.5 miles...so that's the bounds of what I wanted tracking for.

Honestly, if I had known about the Eggtimer TRS or Eggfinder when I started my Quicksilver build (for my L1 cert), I might have just skipped the r/c stuff and gone with one of those. I have an Eggfinder sitting on my bench that I need to build. I'm looking forward to trying it out. It's awesome they have a GPS tracking solution for about $100. I'm also interested in trying the Altus Metrum tracking products. I have an EasyMini (no tracking), but a TeleMini (v2 please?) and/or TeleMetrum might be in my future too.

Anyway, the process is roughly:
- buy parts
- load & configure flight control software
- tweak GPS settings (or set the flight control software to manage it through the U-blox protocol)
- solder all the serial port wires to the right places
- solder power/switches/etc how you want them
- configure r/c transmitter (ground station) for telemetry screens
- mount on the sled
- test & fly

I usually buy my FrSky gear from Aloft Hobbies.

If you are interested in R/C, it's a very powerful radio for a fraction of the price of the big names. Really great stuff. Price is competitive with some brands of trackers too. It uses the 2.4Ghz unlicensed band, so no need for ham licenses, and is very resistant to interference. You can also use it to fly some of burkefj's really cool boost gliders. Just grab one of the little 4-channel receivers.
Yeah, Aloft is great for FrSky stuff. I've also bought stuff off Amazon. For each of the other parts, Google can find them quickly. I'm pretty sure it was a different online store for each part though. 2.4 is a really nice band for these moderate range applications.

Is the gps limited for vertical velocity? Can the output be linked to a mapping application on a tablet? What diameter is that sled?
It's a U-blox M8N (or possibly a clone of one), so it's velocity limits depend on how you have it set up. The U-blox GPSs have different dynamic models (from pedestrian to several airborne modes) that all have different limits. The pedestrian setting seems to be really good at getting quick locks on the ground and when under chute. Some of the other modes do better at keeping the track flowing under high speed flight, but they seem to take more time to lock on initially. I wish U-blox had a "rocket" dynamic model we could use.

The Quicksilver main body tube is 54mm inside diameter. My 3d printed sled fits in that and is about 6.5" long. I could definitely make it smaller, but that's sized to fill my av-bay. There are also much smaller flight control computers that could cut down on the width requirements.

There are sooooo many different flight control computers that you really have to just figure out the features you want & find a board that has them. The Betaflight F3 flight controller looks like it might be a good one. It has an onboard voltage regulator & SD card slot. It's SD card slot is a shortened one though, so I'm not sure how it'd do in higher G rockets.

I don't currently have my ground station Taranis radio outputting to anything. I just input the coordinates into iArrow on my iPhone or scroll around in my own app, GPS Location, to see where the rocket landed. I believe it's possible to connect a little $10 Bluetooth module to the Taranis then have it send data to a computer or other device. I've been thinking about setting that up and programming a quick "Kate"-type application. I keep building more rockets instead though. ;)

Thanks!! It was a really fun project to do. It's kinda fun to have a different setup than everyone else I meet.

It's really hard for me to say. I've been doing work with r/c flight control boards for about 4 years, been doing r/c stuff for over 30, and working with real aircraft flight control computers on & off for about 25 years. I've been writing some code & doing lots of flight testing for various flight controllers, so I'm pretty familiar with it all. That said, my guess is just about anyone who can wire up standard rocket avionics could put a similar setup together without too much trouble. There are some different aspects to it though like setting up the GPS through an FTDI & U-blox's u-center and loading firmware & changing configurations on the flight control boards. There are probably YouTube videos or blog posts out there that cover every part of it. For rocket specific stuff like my setup here, I really should do a big how-to post. If other people are interested in putting this kind of thing together, that'd save people a bunch of time.

It's not designed for rockets, but it seems to work really well. The biggest gotcha with it is that if you don't have a controller radio with telemetry (like the Taranis), then the cost of getting all the parts starts to get right up there with the dedicated rocket avionics. To do any chute firing, you'd have to modify the flight control code and build a circuit to handing the power going to the charges. The accelerometers in most r/c flight control boards are usually set for a max range of 8G's. Many can be toggled to 16, but getting above that is probably not something you'll find without going to dedicated rocket avionics. You could still back out acceleration from the baro data though.

For me, I just wanted to do motor ejection with this Quicksilver. The biggest I'll probably ever put in it is a small J (like a J270W) and that'll take it up in the 6500' range. With a max of a 20mph wind the max the rocket should ever drift is about 1.5 miles...so that's the bounds of what I wanted tracking for.

Honestly, if I had known about the Eggtimer TRS or Eggfinder when I started my Quicksilver build (for my L1 cert), I might have just skipped the r/c stuff and gone with one of those. I have an Eggfinder sitting on my bench that I need to build. I'm looking forward to trying it out. It's awesome they have a GPS tracking solution for about $100. I'm also interested in trying the Altus Metrum tracking products. I have an EasyMini (no tracking), but a TeleMini (v2 please?) and/or TeleMetrum might be in my future too.

- buy parts
- tweak GPS settings (or set the flight control software to manage it through the U-blox protocol)
- mount on the sled
- test & fly

Yeah, Aloft is great for FrSky stuff. I've also bought stuff off Amazon. For each of the other parts, Google can find them quickly. I'm pretty sure it was a different online store for each part though. 2.4 is a really nice band for these moderate range applications.

It's a U-blox M8N (or possibly a clone of one), so it's velocity limits depend on how you have it set up. The U-blox GPSs have different dynamic models (from pedestrian to several airborne modes) that all have different limits. The pedestrian setting seems to be really good at getting quick locks on the ground and when under chute. Some of the other modes do better at keeping the track flowing under high speed flight, but they seem to take more time to lock on initially. I wish U-blox had a "rocket" dynamic model we could use.

The Quicksilver main body tube is 54mm inside diameter. My 3d printed sled fits in that and is about 6.5" long. I could definitely make it smaller, but that's sized to fill my av-bay. There are also much smaller flight control computers that could cut down on the width requirements.

There are sooooo many different flight control computers that you really have to just figure out the features you want & find a board that has them. The Betaflight F3 flight controller looks like it might be a good one. It has an onboard voltage regulator & SD card slot. It's SD card slot is a shortened one though, so I'm not sure how it'd do in higher G rockets.

I don't currently have my ground station Taranis radio outputting to anything. I just input the coordinates into iArrow on my iPhone or scroll around in my own app, GPS Location, to see where the rocket landed. I believe it's possible to connect a little $10 Bluetooth module to the Taranis then have it send data to a computer or other device. I've been thinking about setting that up and programming a quick "Kate"-type application. I keep building more rockets instead though. ;)

Thanks

Steve Shannon

Years ago, I had a rocket with the PML CPR system, and it had an external switch. I thought it was a potential problem, so I put the switch on the altimeter board (starting a trend I guess). Since that time, I've seen many cases in my flights where the harness obviously strafed the body tube or fins.

Jim

About 15 years ago, after what I thought was an Aerotech bonus delay, I converted all my smaller rockets 2.1 inch and up to CPR systems so I have these switches sticking out of a few rockets. By now I've had some wear and tear so I'm down to one left, I think a BBX, with the CPR. I probably won't move its switch inside; I don't think there's any way. The only strap that would matter would be to the drogue. If it caught on the switch then the main would not eject.
So, I don't think there's a huge risk there. That rocket is near retirement age anyway.
But it should be easy to move the switches on this rocket and future rockets into a guarded position where I can still turn them on with my fingers, but the strap cannot snag them.
Thanks for the information.

I mount my slide switches horizontally.
No need for super-strength switches....certainly not 50G rated.

We have 100's of flights using the Switchcraft 50212LX 4PDT's at two per rocket....NEVER and issue.
You do need to glue down the metal tabs where they bend around the phenolic contact board and they are bullet-proof for our application.

Usually we cut a 1/4" x 1/2" slot in the switch-band and glue them to the inside of the EBay and sand off the handles so it does not protrude proud of the outside of the body.

Super simple. Very robust.
Mouser sells them for ~$6 in low quantity - I bought a few hundred at surplus for 25 cents each.
Have them in every rocket out team flies ... a few dozen of rockets, a few hundred flights.

A little label on the outside and the most you have to worry about is the label burning off and the handle melting when going over Mach2.....

Yes, I'm sorry - I said I was done with this thread, but couldn't resist since Kurt keeps invoking my name.
This is a picture from my L3 from 13 years or so ago...it that happens to sit in my den so it was handy to pose for the shot.
Yes, it's a huge switch band .... I don't build them that big anymore....

Fred & Steve, You have me convinced. How do I deal with someone who's convince that slide switches "are dangerous". Fred. I would think one could go with a narrower band and have the switches spaced in the same plane?
No blasted keys or plugs to lose. Like I said, you guys fly successfully with it using the same hardware anyone should be able to emulate you. Kurt

- buy parts
- mount on the sled
- test & fly

Basically, if there is a facility of your receive end to send the incoming NMEA strings out to another device you would be able to get it displayed on a map live. You mentioned a 7dB patch antenna so the system is on 2.4Ghz?
If that is the case, for really out of sight flights one is able to take quick looks at a map and keep the patch antenna pointed at the rocket for maximum data recovery. Done that with 900Mhz NMEA trackers using a patch antenna and it really helps in
receiving and decoding more positions on the map. It's really funky with a rocket that goes out of sight, is not seen period, you got the patch pointed in the proper direction and still get valid positions when it's down. Even if you didn't see it land.

Nice setup. Kurt

Kurt,
I don't think I could convince everyone. Everyone has their own favorites. I'm a big believer in data sheets, so that's what I went looking for.
I would be interested in why they might think slide switches are dangerous. Maybe they know something I haven't considered. I'm very inexperienced compared to many of the more prominent flyers and every time I enter a thread like this I learn something, including humility, not my strong suit.

Steve Shannon

Fred. I would think one could go with a narrower band and have the switches spaced in the same plane?

Yep - these days the usual setup is two of these switches side-by-side in the same horizontal plane.
I was just was lazy and took a photo of the rocket in my den instead of going down to the garage.

People freak out about "cheap" (non-high-G rated) slide switches without basis.
We fly MARSA's in general - so only one altimeter with 4 pyros.

One 4PDT is dedicated to power -- all four poles -- no amount of vibration is going to open all four at once.
One 4PDT is used to disconnect and shunt all the pyro's. Vibration is not an issues with this as even at 50% make duty cycle the pyro's will fire.
Contact rating is a non-issues since those are for continuous duty and pyro fires are very short term events.
The switchcraft switch I use is a "Tab in V-slot" contact design which has superior vibration resistance.

My "team" has swelled to 6 L3 fliers. We ALL use these switches and have never had a switch fail.
Literally hundreds of flights - almost all supersonic....our average impulse is "M", our peak is nearly "Q."

For L3-cert flights where we were forced to fly two altimeters, we use the same setup only using 2P per altimeter for that flight - then remove the "redundant crap"....still never a problem, but clearly a lower sample size as they are one-time events per person.

As to convincing others....all I have is the above facts.....what alternative facts are they using to say otherwise?

Last edited:
About 15 years ago, after what I thought was an Aerotech bonus delay, I converted all my smaller rockets 2.1 inch and up to CPR systems so I have these switches sticking out of a few rockets. By now I've had some wear and tear so I'm down to one left, I think a BBX, with the CPR. I probably won't move its switch inside; I don't think there's any way. The only strap that would matter would be to the drogue. If it caught on the switch then the main would not eject.
So, I don't think there's a huge risk there. That rocket is near retirement age anyway.
But it should be easy to move the switches on this rocket and future rockets into a guarded position where I can still turn them on with my fingers, but the strap cannot snag them.
Thanks for the information.

Steve,

I had my power on-off slide switch for the tracker in the nosecone of a dual deploy rocket get turned off during a flight. I wasn't a big deal since it didn't happen until until the main chute deployed at 1000 feet. It had flown this configuration several times before without issue but this time something managed to slide the switch.

My solution was to take my Dremel tool and cut down the slide part of the switch until about 1/8" was left. There is now no way anything will accidentally trip the switch but I can still work it easily even with my fat fingers. Just a thought.

11G805-dimd-001-product.png

Terry

Back