Need help - wife says no more space

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a few shelves I've built loaded with my collection to date. Unfortunately, they are almost full. I was going to build some more shelves but the wife says no more. I've thought of a few options but none seem good to me. Can anyone offer some suggestions?

My thoughts:
1) Stop building - sacrilege!
2) Throw some old ones away - :y:
3) Donate some
4) sell some (but I know prebuilt ones don't sell for that much)
4) Put some in the barn - my concern is it is basically open, so cardboard tubes exposed to freezing temp in winter, high temp & humidity in summer, insects and critters deciding to chew up for nesting/food, and other forms of destruction
5) pack some in tubs to stash in attic. Same concern on heat/humidity/insects

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Is my concern for being in the barn/attic unfounded?

Thanks

Finish the barn and make a nice rocket shop there

All options are sad for different reasons, but if some have to go then I suggest going to a launch and making a few kids' days. You could give some out as drag race prizes or something like that.

Divorce. :wink:

THat's a tough situation. As it stands now my rockets are all out in my shed. So they are subject to the same things that you are worrying about. Haven't had any problems so far. Someday I would like a full blown workshop to store stuff in.

Make a small shed or store in the garage?
Our shed is pretty sealed, Ive never seen a bug in there, but it does get pretty hot sometimes.
Maybe you could make a shed with only enough room for shelves, a wall of shelves in front, and both sides when you walk in.
Perhaps a fan for the heat issue?

Hey Les - I'm in the same type of situation sort of...

We have a really small place - and rocketry clutter is becoming an issue.

I'll be watching this thread for suggestions.

I've also been searching other threads, looking at pictures, digging for ideas of how other folks store their hobby stuff. I have seen some interesting things, but finding just the right solutions isn't always easy.

I keep built and unbuilt kits in the attic, rented storage (non-climate controlled) and the basement (although basement is climate controlled and dry). In each case I have never had a problem with kits degrading and, beyond a few spider webs, no insect or pest problems.

Donote a few to start some kids in rocketry? A positive move without the dread of throwing some in the trash.

+1 new wife

Seriously though, perhaps a modest expansion of rocket space could be negotiated in combination with some other decluttering / organization / storage project. Or maybe point out her hobby takes up more space than yours (if applicable).
Is it space or visible rockets taking over that is at issue? The solution will vary depending on this answer.

Good luck!

Would the wife be willing to let you use some other area of the house to display the rockets on a wall where they do not get in the way?

I forget who it was, maybe closet astronaut, but these wall racks I built super easy are hella handy and completely out of the way. Heck it makes the back stairwell / door look awesome as fork too.

Those look really nice! Can you give some details on those racks?

Would the wife be willing to let you use some other area of the house to display the rockets on a wall where they do not get in the way?

I forget who it was, maybe closet astronaut, but these wall racks I built super easy are hella handy and completely out of the way. Heck it makes the back stairwell / door look awesome as fork too.

Those look really nice! Can you give some details on those racks?

Man I searched and could not find the person who did it before I did. I think it was closet astronaut.

He did his in decent wood with a nice finish. Mine are just 1X2 pieces with 5/8 holes drilled in at an angle. I cut a bunch of 6 inch dowels and rounded the edges on a grinder and jammed them in there after painting all the wood flat black. Just screwed them into the studs.

It gets my rockets out of the way and the dowels are not secured so I can arrange them where I need. Those pics are old and there are a bunch more rockets on them now. About ready to cover another area of the wall with the racks and will need a ladder or my grabby tool to put them up, but at least they are out of the way and look cool as hell every time I go out back.

Or maybe point out her hobby takes up more space than yours (if applicable).
Is it space or visible rockets taking over that is at issue?

Her hobbies do not take up much space
And the rockets can't be visible - so no to living room, bedroom, family room, etc

I think we need pictures to get an idea of the problem... ;)

First picture is the shelves I built. There are two spare dining room chairs (covered in rocket stuff) in front of the shelves
Second picture is not that great but was trying to show the bottom section of shelves through the chair legs

Next are some of the tubs by the shelves full of kits
Across from the shelves are a couple of more tubs and piles of rocket kits/parts
Last is by the furnace with more tubs of kits/parts

And there are a few more places I have squirreld away kits/parts

Sadly, I am one of those with an addiction to rocketry.........:facepalm:

however, based on the various responses (to paraphrase) "Damn the humidity - full speed ahead {to the barn/garage/attic}"

shelf 1.jpg shelf 2.jpg tubs 1.jpg tubs 2.jpg tubs 3.jpg

Last edited:
Simple.... Tell the wife, no more space for your rockets, no more space for her shoes, she will find you some space:rolleyes:

HOLY JEEPERS

you have a crap ton of rockets. Is the barn an area you like to hang out in? Cuz I doubt being in a place where the rain will not hit them, but they go through temp differences would not be all that bad. If you have a wall of the barn where you can display all those it would be a beautiful sanctuary of awesome to be in.

Can you take a pic of the barn ? I may have some idea

HOLY JEEPERS

you have a crap ton of rockets. Is the barn an area you like to hang out in? Cuz I doubt being in a place where the rain will not hit them, but they go through temp differences would not be all that bad. If you have a wall of the barn where you can display all those it would be a beautiful sanctuary of awesome to be in.

Walking into a barn with a wall covered in rockets would be like walking into the cave of Manliness.
*dreams*

HOLY JEEPERS

I typically only go to the barn when I need the mower, ladder, rake, etc. It has limited lighting and the door is a disaster, so it is always open

And the "crap ton" of rockets is kinda, sorta, probably the reason she has put her foot down for no more space....

Can you take a pic of the barn ? I may have some idea

Perhaps my terminology is misleading. We call it the barn just because it is a separate structure and there is a separate 2 car garage (and when we bought the house it had a decrepit chicken coop on the side that was collapsing.)

So a view from the outside. There is no door to close on the large opening
and a view inside - note it is a dirt floor

There is space inside. It won't get rained on. Just subject to temperature and humidity changes and vermin (including some kids that periodically steal my mower gas - so what ever I do I will need to cover and lock)

barn out.jpg barn in.jpg

Last edited:
That barn has awesome potential. :cool:
Just have to use your imagination...

- and a little elbow grease...
- clean that baby out.
- new door.
- maybe a new roof.
- add electrical and lighting.
- concrete floor.

It could be an awesome workshop.

I agree!

That barn has awesome potential. :cool:
Just have to use your imagination...

- and a little elbow grease...
- clean that baby out.
- new door.
- maybe a new roof.
- add electrical and lighting.
- concrete floor.

It could be an awesome workshop.

Yeh, the barn looks like a potential solution. I would build a Vehicle Storage Safe inside the barn. Some kind of storage locker/cabinet or multiple units of such. Try to seal it up the best you can (within money/time/ effort limits) to keep insects & moisture out, and add some desiccant to lower the humidity. I can see the humidity being a problem but the desiccant will help. IMHO temps shouldn't be a problem like humidity.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Ya new wife or get her hooked on a hobby that take as much money and space. Then when she complains you will have ammunition for your argument, not that it would make much of a difference but at least she would look like a hypocrite doing it. And every once in a while it works, its worth a shot. :confused2:

YA

Back