Need help - wife says no more space

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess I could be considered "lucky" in that there are no women folk around here. That's a good thing when the room I'm in is stacked with too many rockets in various stages of finish. I'll be doing a racking system of the wall peg persuasion with large ones resting across on two pegs and smaller ones sticking out off the pegs. Just using 1/4" birch dowel so a BT5 motor tube block will pass the dowel. Out in the garage there's 2 huge metal cabinets. If needed I can place most of what I have into them. I've run into the problem of storeing my parts supply. Next month I'm getting 2 three drawer organizers for all the different small parts. Put small deviders in the drawers then I won't have to dig through two large boxes for what I want...then I'll have 6 drawers with deviders to go through :p

That barn has awesome potential. :cool:
Just have to use your imagination...

- and a little elbow grease...
- clean that baby out.
- new door.
- maybe a new roof.
- add electrical and lighting.
- concrete floor.

It could be an awesome workshop.

You gotta fix the 'barn'! I use to live in my barn.
You don't need to do it all at once. Start with the door and get a lock.
If you don't plan on putting a vehicle in there, make the door smaller, walk in type.
Let us see the rest of the inside. Get rid of the wood pile and cut back the brush all around the building.
Empty it out and cover what needs to be covered.
Any large cracks in the walls? How are the roof rafters?
Depending on your finances, time and your abilities, refurbishing a building can be just as rewarding as building a rocket.

Last edited:
Enclose that barn corner. 2X4"s with dry wall. Insulate new closet "room". Put up the peg hangers and/or shelves. I am betting she has plans for the space you currently have for your rockets now anyway. If that does not appease her I see you staying in the rocket barn in the near future.

Dang, Thats alot of rockets. What I do Is I hang up my rc planes from the ceiling with rope. Maybe in the barn hang them up and make them more organized. Doors of that size is easy to make with a large sheet of wood. Nothing should happen to your rockets if its under trees. I have a moped thats out in 105 f heat and 30 f and its fine, Your rockets should be fine. just make sure to check on them though. You never know.

You just need to convince your wife that shelves full of rockets improve the decor in every room in the house! Here's mine (in a spare bedroom):

thefleet.jpg

Crying. Have you tried crying? It works for me...
:p

Seriously, that building has incredible potential that is being wasted. Unless financially prohibitive, I would definitely fix it up. Would not take a lot.

You gotta fix the 'barn'! I use to live in my barn.
You don't need to do it all at once. Start with the door and get a lock.
If you don't plan on putting a vehicle in there, make the door smaller, walk in type.
Let us see the rest of the inside. Get rid of the wood pile and cut back the brush all around the building.
Empty it out and cover what needs to be covered.
Any large cracks in the walls? How are the roof rafters?
Depending on your finances, time and your abilities, refurbishing a building can be just as rewarding as building a rocket.

Some cracks but they can be patched. Not sure about the rafters
At most I'll be able to grab a corner of the barn. It is where the garden tractor, cart, snowblower, ladder, shovels, etc, etc are. Need a large enough door to get everything in and out

I am gonna kind of think outside the box on this one. What are you going to do with all those rockets you have? If you are going to fly them all again, or if you have some descendants that will want them, or if you want to pull them out and admire them from time to time, or if you have any of a zillion rational reasons to keep them, then by all means do so.

But if all you are going to do is create a storage unit for a bunch of rockets that won't even get looked at let alone flown, and that somebody some day hopefully far in the future (after many nice words are said about you at your funeral) will chuck in the trash, then really what is the point? Find a few places in your house where you can display the ones that really mean something to you, save the ones you love to fly, and find a good home formthe rest. Give them away at to kids, use them as door prizes, try E-Bay.

I know, this is anathema to those who WISH they still had that original Scout or Gyroc, but if you can't fly 'em or appropriately display them and your posterity isn't into rockets, maybe your wife is right.

But if all you are going to do is create a storage unit for a bunch of rockets that won't even get looked at let alone flown, and that somebody some day hopefully far in the future (after many nice words are said about you at your funeral) will chuck in the trash, then really what is the point? Find a few places in your house where you can display the ones that really mean something to you, save the ones you love to fly, and find a good home formthe rest. Give them away at to kids, use them as door prizes, try E-Bay.

WHAT?!?!?!? You mean the one with the most rockets when they die doesn't win?? :wink:

But true - most of the rockets have only one or two flights. I tend to build them faster than I can get to fly them. I could thin the herd some. Even when I set up displays it is never more than half the rockets.

I will have to think about things. At a minimum, I will probably build some shelves in the barn since several people have posted that they have not had issues with temperature & humidity swings

Of course, the suggestions to dump the wife have merit too :roll::roll::roll: just kidding :neener:

Maybe use all your rockets to blast your wife into orbit and start fresh on both fronts.

I very much like your porta-potty rocket, was that purchased or scratch built?

Back