Polecat Aerospace?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really want one of their Saturn V's but they seem to be oop.:mad:

I have one, and it's a pretty cool kit. I'm going to build it when my shop grows-up.

Well, if you want my advice, don't put the 20 pounds of ballast in the nose. Make some bolt-on transparent fins instead. Your recovery system will thank me!

Well, if you want my advice, don't put the 20 pounds of ballast in the nose. Make some bolt-on transparent fins instead. Your recovery system will thank me!

Thanks....Yes, I'm planning something along those lines for sure. Being a large airframe, I'll be factoring aerodynamic drag before I add anything. BTW, did Ben ever get to fly the one you built?

Thanks....Yes, I'm planning something along those lines for sure. Being a large airframe, I'll be factoring aerodynamic drag before I add anything. BTW, did Ben ever get to fly the one you built?

We teamed up and flew it with a central K1275 and four J outboards. Lots of smoke. I think he did one more flight when I wasn't there...

As for Polecat Aerospace...

I've owned four to-date. The kits are very good, fiberglassed and include most everything you might need (sewn shock cords, quick-links, u-bolts, etc). The ebays (where included) are also very complete. One thing I'll mention--I ordered and built a 5.5" Mercury Redstone last year and upon arrival I was impressed that almost all of the parts were laser cut. I believe the Redstone I received is exemplary of the quality of Polecat kits in general. I did a build thread and shared my thoughts further here:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...t-Mercury-Redstone&highlight=polecat+redstone

As for Jack (owner), he's a great guy and will answer any and all questions you might have.

Hopefully he'll offer the Saturn V again. And Jack (if you are listening), I still want a Wocket !

I just got a CTI L1030 from Jack today. A lot of people (myself included) are hoping for more Polecats. They are cool, straight forward builds, and the kits are tough. The rumblings from other threads are that he is looking for another helper, and could be getting kits out in the near future. Let's hope!

Chris

did someone say Polecat Saturn V!?
(obligatory plug)
I will now assume the position as the 'expert' on the subject, considering i've build 2(two!) of them.

The 10" Saturn V was made when Andy Woerner was still the owner of Polecat and What's Up Hobbies, and he only ever made 25 of them. When Jack purchased the company, he got EVERYTHING. When we got our second kit, it was missing the engine nacelle fairings. Jack went ahead and made the parts we needed. I believe Jack still has the molds for all of the parts. I don't want to speak for Jack here, because I don't know the situation with his current fiberglass guy, but last I heard he was looking for someone else to do tube wraps, nosecones, etc.
Maybe when he finds someone else to do the tubes, he can start up a line of Saturn V kits again.

Fantastic flight!

I'd love one of these big Polecat SV kits, but I doubt I could swing the cost and shipping. However, I hope that they are produced again and I can think about it!

did someone say Polecat Saturn V!?
(obligatory plug)
I will now assume the position as the 'expert' on the subject, considering i've build 2(two!) of them.

The 10" Saturn V was made when Andy Woerner was still the owner of Polecat and What's Up Hobbies, and he only ever made 25 of them. When Jack purchased the company, he got EVERYTHING. When we got our second kit, it was missing the engine nacelle fairings. Jack went ahead and made the parts we needed. I believe Jack still has the molds for all of the parts. I don't want to speak for Jack here, because I don't know the situation with his current fiberglass guy, but last I heard he was looking for someone else to do tube wraps, nosecones, etc.
Maybe when he finds someone else to do the tubes, he can start up a line of Saturn V kits again.

To those of you with the Sat V: what is the size of the launch lug? I was thinking about trying to run an internal lug but am unsure as to whether the interior geometry would permit that or if it would be long enough.

I love the look of the 10" Fat Boy. That thing is hilarious. I must have one some day.

Fatman10-photo1a.jpg

I might be able to fit my 5 year old in there.

I love the look of the 10" Fat Boy. That thing is hilarious. I must have one some day.

I might be able to fit my 5 year old in there.

The Fat Boy is cool. The Nike Smoke (5.5, 7.5, and 10 inch), V2s, and Thumpers are not shown on website, but are hugely popular.

And in talking to Jack this past weekend, it sounds like the kits will be back in production soon. In the meantime, if you want a kit that's out of inventory, call him. If it's possible, he'll get a kit put together for you.

To those of you with the Sat V: what is the size of the launch lug? I was thinking about trying to run an internal lug but am unsure as to whether the interior geometry would permit that or if it would be long enough.

I used Unistrut rail buttons. Mine was, if memory serves, about 70lb wet. I was uncomfortable with the thought of 1515 buttons.

I used Unistrut rail buttons. Mine was, if memory serves, about 70lb wet. I was uncomfortable with the thought of 1515 buttons.

I was asking about a rod because I was thinking seriously about trying to build a LUT at the same time, similar to the one described in hcmbanjo's book, except scaled for the large Sat V.

The kit comes with 1010 rail buttons (lol). Ours was only about 50lbs GLOW, so we used a 16' 1515 rail.

I have the Skeeter 5.5

Great kit. I originally built it as a backup L2 rocket in case my primary L2 rocket was lost or damaged/destroyed. To date, I've only flown it once so far on an AT I300T.

One of these days I want to put it up on a 2 grain 54mm such as the CTI Pro54 J210 or AT J275W.:D

Really?? I use 1515 on my 7.5in 85# rocket. Started with unistrut but changed to 1515 after several years. I think the look is better

1515 wil take over 70 lbs. I just use 3 buttons over 60 lbs.

And in talking to Jack this past weekend, it sounds like the kits will be back in production soon. In the meantime, if you want a kit that's out of inventory, call him. If it's possible, he'll get a kit put together for you.

This pleases me greatly --there were a couple of Polecat kits I coveted, but by the time I could purchase, they were gone.

Later!

--Coop

Are all of the Polecat kits cardboard tubes that have been fiberglassed? The site doesn't have much info on them.

Fatman10-photo1a.jpg

At LDRS, I did point out to Jack that his kit photo is false advertising -- he needs a middle-aged "rocketeer medium" standing next to it! :p

-Kevin

Back