Basic Range or flight Box

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My parental story actually ties back into the range box discussion:

I actually got my dad interested in model rocketry. After about six months of launching, he built a large wooden box that contained a simple launch control panel and enough space to carry a half-dozen smaller rockets. Bigger birds (like his Estes ARCAS or my Interceptor) were carried out to the ballfield - er, launch site by hand.

We prepped all the birds at home- motors, chutes, everything. Once flown on the range, that was it for that rocket. We never carried spare motors or tape or glue or anything!

Boy can I identify with that Graylenman!
One of my first Homemade Controllers tried to incorproate a "carryall" compartment in it as well.
Who'd a guessed we'ed have Stuff Way to big to stuff in a box or launcher bigger then a controller LOL!!!!!

My parent support rockets. My dad is even certified L1 so he can sign off for my HPR flights. They still don't get why I keep on getting more though.

Painting in the basement is my mom's only problem, she has her quilting stuff down there. We worked it out today that I can only paint down there if I paint in the corner facing the corner.

40+ years ago, I decided I needed a flight box, so ,without his knowledge, I took my dads metal tool box, dumped all his tools into anothe box, and used it for my flight box. It did get the standard Estes stickers on it, and I still have it today. I keep my reloads in it now. Many years after the fact, he saw me with it, and said "I wondered where that went". I now have a bigger plastic plano, with removable boxes that I keep motors and supplies in. It does give me something else to remember my father by.

Last edited:
I also had the Estes cardboard starter set box. and firecracker-type fuses...

By the way, the latest (jan/feb '09) issue of Sport Rocketry has a pretty humorous article about range boxes by Leslie Houk. See "The Cato Chronicles."

masking tape is a paper tape with fair adhesive like this
Easy release masking tape does not have as strong of adhesive. It's used when painting on delicate paint so it doesn't damage the surface. Like frog tape
Scotch tape is a brand of transparent tape like this
Duct tape, or 100mph tape is the cloth based tape usually silver , like this

Some people use duct tape for everything

https://www.myspaceantics.com

Green Frog tape is one example of easy release tape, otherwise known as painters tape. The more common for is blue painters tape. You can get all these at most Home Depot or Lowes. In fact most of these places have another type that is less tacky than standard painters tape. It's painters tape for delicate surfaces and is probably closer to Frog tape in tackiness and thickness. I use it quite a bit and it has become a favorite of mine. A lot easier to work with than standard painters tape.

Green Frog tape is one example of easy release tape, otherwise known as painters tape. The more common for is blue painters tape. You can get all these at most Home Depot or Lowes. In fact most of these places have another type that is less tacky than standard painters tape. It's painters tape for delicate surfaces and is probably closer to Frog tape in tackiness and thickness. I use it quite a bit and it has become a favorite of mine. A lot easier to work with than standard painters tape.
I suspect that Angel doesn't have access to any Home Depot or Lowe's stores in Bulgaria. But yes, this post and the previous one by Handeman accurately describe what I meant. All of those tapes can come in handy at a launch.

MarkII

I suspect that Angel doesn't have access to any Home Depot or Lowe's stores in Bulgaria. But yes, this post and the previous one by Handeman accurately describe what I meant. All of those tapes can come in handy at a launch.

MarkII

There really isn't a Home Depot or Lowe's around here, but I can get scotch and masking tape from any bookstore and easy-release tape from Praktiker.

Actually they might have duct tape in too, but I haven't looked for it because I didn't know it existed until last week mythbusters episode and I didn't know it could be used for rocketry til now :cheers:

Anyway I guess duct tape is great
Gotta have it!!! I have an old sidewinder whose fin split in a 45, and that thing is STILL!! flying w/the duct tape on it! Duct saved the day, and I guess I was too lazy to fix it when I got home, or cuz it flew so well after I taped it, I never took it off... A Must have in the box;)
so I'll look for it :)

Duct tape is called "the handyman's secret weapon" because it is so versatile. I have never used it on an actual rocket, but I carry it with me in case I need to make a quick repair of a launch pad, for example, or to affix ignition cables to a post, or even to repair a hole or a hinge in my field box, or to make other, similar types of repairs.

MarkII

Duct tape is called "the handyman's secret weapon" because it is so versatile. I have never used it on an actual rocket, but I carry it with me in case I need to make a quick repair of a launch pad, for example, or to affix ignition cables to a post, or even to repair a hole or a hinge in my field box, or to make other, similar types of repairs.

MarkII

Angle: that's for sure!
According to many there are only two things one really needs in life.
1: roll of Duct Tape.
2: Can of WD-40.

"If it moves and it's not supposed to; duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it should: WD-40." :roll:

Angle: that's for sure!
According to many there are only two things one really needs in life.
1: roll of Duct Tape.
2: Can of WD-40.

"If it moves and it's not supposed to; duct Tape.
If it doesn't move and it should: WD-40." :roll:
WD-40 is that the oily cleaning oiling spray thing? I have a can of that stuff with yellow letters saying "WD-40"

I remember the days of a range box. Now its metal tool boxes: 1 for 24/29mm cases, 1 for 38mm cases, 1 for 54mm cases, 1 for propellant, 1 for recovery and electronics (I always bring a dozen or more chutes because somebody always needs a smaller or larger one) 1 for flight related items like tape and epoxy and the like, and a cooler. Then there is thelaunch pad: a surveyors tripod with a rail head and a rod head, a rail, an assortment of rods, controller and battery. Then there's a table and chairs, pop up awning, rocket cradles and a bucket for trash. That's 3 trips with the two wheeler plus whatever rockets I bring. My own fault though; build em bigger and the support apparatus grows accordingly. That's why I love winter lake launches. A frozen lake is like the playa and you just load up a sled and pull it out to the launch site.

MarkII

Ehhhh... If the women don't find you handsome, they can at least find you handy... :)

I love Red Green... :D OL JR :)

Back