Beech Staggerwing Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. The Staggerwing is a fun rocket to fly but it must be in calm conditions. For some reason it likes to fly like an airplane into the wind. I just can't figure out why. I keep telling it "You are a rocket! So fly like one!" It just doesn't listen.

Out at the pad all alone at NARAM, but a lull occurred for maybe 15 minutes, by the time the LPR rack was launched it was blowing again. Just about scrubbed the flight but the wind went down to my max tolerance and it was quickly launched.

Beech Staggerwing on pad.jpg

We did call hold once, and even when we did launch(start) it felt like we were playing a game of chicken. Who would call hold first, but it flew beatifully.

Yep, I was ready to pull it and you held me off, but just then the wind died down. I think the rocket gods up on their mountain in their togas were just playing around with us mortals. After that lull the wind blew steady for the rest of the day. Playing chicken with the wind and flying silly airplane rockets on three motor clusters is just like the Croc Hunter doing his shows at the zoo; Danger, Danger, Danger!

Congrats on what looks like a great flight! It is always good to look good, especially with an audience like you had.

Looking forward to what you can do with a B-58 configuration. I played with that way back in the olden days (when I was in high school) but I only used MMTs in the two inbd/fwd nacelles and the pod. My skills at accomplishing simultaneous ignition were lacking. It wasn't pretty. I got about half of one flight. I wish you much better luck.

After a year in the parts box the B 58 is under construction. Six D motors, Eight parachutes, landing gear down!

Back