Suggest a M-HPR for me in the Bigger Daddy range

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerorKid

Reaction score
Mod please move if you deem it necessary. Was not sure if MPR or HPR

So... as it normally goes in this hobby. I have progressed and want to have a little more fun. I am in no need of going L2 and really have no desire to go dual deploy. I do think I will go with some sort of tracker by next spring and want one of those cool chunky rockets to put it in where it is actually needed.

I love my big daddy rockets and want to make a bigger one with a 38mm mount for Argonia with the 29 adapter for club launches. No electronics besides an altimetertwo and maybe a tracker. Thinking 4 inch or bigger. Maybe a kit, but could scratch no prob. At first I was thinking one of those big Der Red Max rockets, but I am not a fan of the fins. Altitude is not my goal, a wide squaty beast is what I am looking for.

The wildman Gizmo looks cool, the non XL one.

LOC Bullet

The Mad Cow ones look cool, but too complex. I sorta think I want to scratch build.

Heck I am lost.

I have a sorta fiberglass one and a light PVC one in the works. Just looking for a fun 4 inch or bigger I can fly for fun and not worry about all the crazy extra stuff the bigger rockets seem to enjoy. Launch, pop, and walk to get it back while never losing sight of it.

Any suggestions welcome.

I like the LOC Bullet. Looks to be a tough little rocket. Lowest priced bigger is the LOC MiniMag. Streched MiniMags have gotten people to 2nd without a problem but they are $28 more. I'm a scratch builder, too. Gathering parts for a 4" build here, soon. Plan on getting my 2nd with it :)

I like the LOC Bullet. Looks to be a tough little rocket. Lowest priced bigger is the LOC MiniMag. Streched MiniMags have gotten people to 2nd without a problem but they are $28 more. I'm a scratch builder, too. Gathering parts for a 4" build here, soon. Plan on getting my 2nd with it :)

Oh man that MINIE-MAGG is sweet. I somehow was not able to find the actual LOC site till now. Holy hell there are some sweet rockets there.

Last edited:
If you do decide to go with LOC, hobbylinc.com carries most of their kits at a more realistic price.

I'm building a Minie-Magg now. It's sort of like a scaled up Big Daddy. I've seen a few of them fly at MDRA. Everybody likes the Magg.

It should go about 1600 ft on a H123 and about 3200 ft on a I470.

I think this thread can die unless there are any other suggestions. I have come to the conclusion that I do not want a kit and I need to build a scratchy with 4 inch tube and buy one of those insanely expensive nose cones and just do it how I want.

I am looking into fiberglassing tubes and fins over the rest of the year. Before next year I hope to acquire a band saw and a decent sander thingy. Then figure out the best 38mm - 29mm adapter solution. I do not need a fiberglass rocket and fancy stuff. I just want a chunky beast that is light and flies good..... and maybe a Minie-Magg ;)

For a bit there I soured on rockets, but if I stop the constand builds and focus on some sweet ones I think I will be more than happy to have a ton of fun with it and launching once a month.

Thanks TRF. it is all your fault :p

How about the LOC IROC? 5.5" od and 54" tall with a 38mm motor mount. Put a I195J in it for L1, then throw in a J350w for your L2. Stays under 4000' on the J. Just a thought...

Adrian

Thanks Nathan

No plans for a L2 at all. Looking for a lighter, but bigger fun rocket. I like to see them the whole time when they fly. Think Big Bertha lift instead of a sky puncher, but 29MM mostly and 38MM for Argonia next spring for a finale sort of launch.

I am just in love with the Big Daddy form factor. It just looks so rocketish and rockety. Just want to upscale a bit, but not increase weight by much. Darn happy with the 2 grain 29MM motors, but have an AT 3 grain case and will be picking up a CTI 3 grain case next paycheck from Gary at Off We Go.

This will be an end of year project and I think I will scratch a 4 incher.

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I sorta made it after a few adult bev late last eve and feel a bit silly about it ;)

First the tracker, then the NC, then the girl.. and dat body... tube. Fins will get cut when I get some decent saws... then the girl....

You dont need a bigger Big Daddy, Just a bigger motor mount!

9357864477_b32d93957b_c.jpg
(photo by Jackson Lubin)

A 54 is perfect for an L2!

:grin:

It's like the 4" 'er I'm building. The ACE nosecone and the differenrt length sections of 4" tube were part of a "box of rockets" I got from an ad in the newspaper. I got close to $1000 worth of stuff for $100. It would have taken a bunch of couplers to put them all together so I got a 48" coupler tube from Giant Leap. I'm putting in a 36" 54mm motor tube for even more stiffness. I'm thinking of really winging her up there on a J800, after a J350 2 level cert flight :)

I have no experience with it, but I just saw the Polecat Thumper Jr.

https://stores.whatsuphobby.com/-strse-21/Polecat-Aerospace-5.5"-Thumper/Detail.bok

thumperjr-H153.jpg

Was the Wildman Super Jart going to be a regular kit, or just a special for the 10 of us who bought one?

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?56626-Super-Jart&highlight=jart

Gotta tell ya that the 29MM Wildman Jart was actually the spark for this thread. I wanted one and thought about how the majority of my rockets are these small Big Daddy types and the Jart would not be that much bigger of a jump. The Defender MKII is near next in the pile and I am working ona sweet as hell fiberglassed BT-60 one. There is a guy in the THOR club who wears overalls and shoots off this one that has some nubs on the upper body tube that made it spin. Under 3 foot long, but chunky and I thought it was cool as hell. Wanted to get something like that to build as a premium rocket. A masterpiece rocket.

The Super Jart. Who knows what Tim will come up with next. I think he lays in bed at night and all he see's is tubes. He says you know I can build a new kit from the parts that are over in the shop corner. Got to love this guys he has a very active mind.
Gary

Madcow Squat. The nosecone alone is worth close to the kit price. Lots of 'upgrade/modification' potential. Flies great as long as you've got some extra nose weight.

_MG_3970.jpg

Last edited:
Beerorkid,
Let me chime in here with my thoughts, for what they are worth.
1. Low and slow is cool. Exciting to watch, easier to find. I think the main reason the Big Bertha was so beloved was that it was the slowest rocket back in the day.
2. Scratch is a fun way to go (although if you find a good deal on a similar kit, you can start with that)
3. There is a point of diminishing returns in terms of sturdiness and craftsmanship. I assume that I will lose every rocket eventually. So for me, blue tube might win out over fiberglassing and a perfect detailing. What's worse than losing your rocket? Putting 120 hours into it and losing it. What's worse than that? Putting 120 hours AND a tracker in it, and then losing both.
My son and I once made a minimum diameter G motor rocket that just leaped off the pad #pow# and punched through a cloud. We both said, "Wow..." Then he turned to me and said, "We're not going to find that, are we?" And I put my hand on his shoulder and said, "No, son, we are not."
--John Beans, Jolly Logic

My son and I once made a minimum diameter G motor rocket that just leaped off the pad #pow# and punched through a cloud. We both said, "Wow..." Then he turned to me and said, "We're not going to find that, are we?" And I put my hand on his shoulder and said, "No, son, we are not."
--John Beans, Jolly Logic

I have a rocket called #9 for the number of times it was rebuilt. I loaded it with a G80 also and never expected to see it again. Launch site was bordering farmland and wildlands of sage, gullys, scrubby trees, and to top it off overcast. Floresent orange and Monocote chrome stripes it disappeared into the mists. Someone found it when they were wandering around looking for their rocket...I didn't try, I thought it was a goner...

Back