Estes pro series II Recovery Wadding vs Normal Recovery Wadding

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odo

Reaction score
So at hobby lobby the other day I saw a bag of recovery wadding for 5 dollars more labeled (Pro series II)
Does anyone know what the difference is? I avoided it and got my usual 5 dollar baggie of recovery wadding cause I didnt want to pay extra for something I didnt know what was.

Bigger sheets of the same stuff. I go to the dollar store and buy crepe paper. 2 rolls for $1. It doesn't like to crumple up as small as the Estes modified toilet paper but it works very well as a buffer between the chute and ejection charge. Dog Barf is the choice of many. It's fire resistant shredded paper from recycleing. It also works well at the job. With all wadding don't "tamp" it in. I have used a dowel to manouver things into place but tamp it down can cause it not to move or let gasses pass. Dog barf can be found at club launches, free usually. A huge bale is cheap and would last most a lifetime +.

It's in a black labeled bag with the word "Pro" on it....so it's uber cool and makes you feel more like a serious rocketeer....make sure everyone at the launch sees you pull it out of your range box so they know you are playing with the big boys....you should walk around with it......

So at hobby lobby the other day I saw a bag of recovery wadding for 5 dollars more labeled (Pro series II)
Does anyone know what the difference is? I avoided it and got my usual 5 dollar baggie of recovery wadding cause I didnt want to pay extra for something I didnt know what was.

Same ole stuff, just bigger sheets

A better bet is to go to Lowes, Home Depot, or some other home improvement store and buy a $10 bundle of Dog Barf (Cellulose Insulation). It's fireproof and a bag will last you your entire rocketry career, do a much better job at protecting your gear, and is environmentally safer as well.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use Fiberglass Insulation.

So what exactly do I ask for at Lowes to get "dog barf"? How do I know I'm getting the right stuff? I don't believe I've ever seen it when I've been in there but then again, I've never specifically looked for it.

the proper name is; Cellulose Fibre Insulation, 'Green fiber' is one maker/brand (and is what I bought at home depot).
rex

I prefer the Quest wadding. It's based on tissue paper like used in gift wrapping. Doesn't rip as easy. But I usually use a wrapping technique. Only my smallest rocket has room to "stuff" anything into it.

In burn tests, crepe paper ignites but then goes out (some kinds might be better, I got the "happy birthday" roll because it was wider). Wadding turns black but stops burning the instant flame is removed. I sometimes use some crepe but not as the first layer. Also cupcake cups in one strategic location.

Bigger sheets of the same stuff. I go to the dollar store and buy crepe paper. 2 rolls for $1. It doesn't like to crumple up as small as the Estes modified toilet paper but it works very well as a buffer between the chute and ejection charge. Dog Barf is the choice of many. It's fire resistant shredded paper from recycleing. It also works well at the job. With all wadding don't "tamp" it in. I have used a dowel to manouver things into place but tamp it down can cause it not to move or let gasses pass. Dog barf can be found at club launches, free usually. A huge bale is cheap and would last most a lifetime +.

The was what I have found as well. I used crepe paper from the start and now I use dog barf. It was $12 for a bale of it at Lowes and I filled up 3 5 gallon buckets of it and I still have half the bale left. Might stick it up in my attic or something. I don't know what to do with the rest of it. I don't feel like getting any more buckets and the stuff I have will last me forever.

I don't know what to do with the rest of it. I don't feel like getting any more buckets and the stuff I have will last me forever.

Get a box or two of gallon freezer bags and stuff as many of them as full as you can.....then, next local sport launch....take them and give them away....or sell them for $1 to recoup your costs.....

I prefer the Quest wadding. It's based on tissue paper like used in gift wrapping.

The Quest style wadding isn't actually gift wrapping tissue. The gift wrap tissue isn't flame resistant.

The Quest stuff is the same tissue material used to decorate parade floats.
It's 5 1/2" square and flame resistant. Larger pieces than what I like but still usable.

Just do a search for "Parade Pomps".

Does anyone know what the difference is?

The answer to this question is, The Pro Series wadding contains 3 times the wadding in the package compared to the regular Estes wadding.

John Boren

Get a box or two of gallon freezer bags and stuff as many of them as full as you can.....then, next local sport launch....take them and give them away....or sell them for $1 to recoup your costs.....

That's a good idea. I'll just give it away. I have no need for as much as I have. lol

I asked Estes this question and their respnse was "all of our wadding is made from the same material"

I asked Estes this question and their respnse was "all of our wadding is made from the same material"

Yeah...my serious guess is that there's just more of it because the rockets are bigger.

And here now almost 2 years later, this thread was very handy for answering a question on a Facebook page.
Gave link to here, maybe any there not joined here will come and do so, maybe?

Back