Hormel Chili with beans.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlazarus6660

Reaction score
Hormel Chili with beans. Right now I'm craving it. Don't ask me why. I just do.:surprised:

Canned chili is one of the things that just taste bad to me these days. I've tried 5 different brands and no dice. I've been making my own and freezing most of the batch along with ham and beans. Chili's not the only thing, there's a bunch of canned foods that I don't but I eat fresh. Corn, spinach, beans, and more. I think I'm tasting the can. I'm going to try pickleing this week after a trip to the farmer's market this week. I have everything else but the fresh components, cucumbers, dill, and garlic. I'm pretty sure they will taste better than anything in a jar that has sat on a shelf or in a warehouse for who know's how long

I tried Wolf brand chili. It's ok. The no-bean version has a consistency of baby food which wasn't all that appealing but the flavor was pretty good. I was expecting large chunks of beef in a traditional Texas red.

Hormel no beans was my standard. Now I like Dennison's with beans. Stagg is good too. Sad as it sounds this Texan never learned how to make a decent chili.

I'll eat canned chili, Hormel or whatever, but generally I don't. It's too much fun and is so much tastier to make your own.

I tried Texas Pete's Chili Sauce for hot dogs, burgers and such. Not happening. Far too much liquid and very unappealing. Next time I make chili, I'll save some out and give it a grind for the hot dogs, etc.

I like my chili with a good bit of kick. I've had to tone it down a lot for contests.

Last edited:
Canned chili is one of the things that just taste bad to me these days. I've tried 5 different brands and no dice. I've been making my own and freezing most of the batch along with ham and beans. Chili's not the only thing, there's a bunch of canned foods that I don't but I eat fresh. Corn, spinach, beans, and more. I think I'm tasting the can. I'm going to try pickleing this week after a trip to the farmer's market this week. I have everything else but the fresh components, cucumbers, dill, and garlic. I'm pretty sure they will taste better than anything in a jar that has sat on a shelf or in a warehouse for who know's how long

Canned peas are gross. However frozen peas are great (after cooking). I agree, I think the can favors the peas.
I've never had canned chilli, the GF always makes it from scratch. It's never the same twice, but usually good (there was this one time with extra hot pepper flakes...)
Adrian

Canned chili tends to taste bland to me but it can be spiced up to suit my palate. Wolf is my preferred brand from a flavor stand point but the meat in all canned chili reminds me of TVP mystery meat. What I really like is to throw a bunch of pork chunks in with fresh vegies and spices and let it slow cook until the pork melts in your mouth, serve with fresh homemade tortillas. Still, I sometimes crave canned chili served on a bed of corn chips, just like the frito pie from my junior high days.

To me, canned chili (without beans) is only good for one thing: chili dogs! (with shredded cheddar cheese, diced onions and Tabasco sauce)

G.D.

Anyone craving SPAM??????

Hormel Chili (with or without beans) and Stagg Chili Rocks!

Not being biased........;)

Just getting back from the dusty plains of Chili Blaster at Hudson Ranch just outside Pueblo. There, after a long hard day of rocketry nothing beats soft, salty, hot canned food with lots of water. Toot, toot, chugga, chugga, burp, burp, no one cares.

Yea..it takes years of training for your guts to adjust to all the Survival foods...

There is nothing like home made chili especially when it's my family recipe with diced up potatoes in it! That being said, if I have to settle for canned, I prefer Armor chili with beans over the Hormel.

Wolf over Hormel at this house--make for good chilli dogs too--still prefer homegrown to anything !!

Hormel Chili with beans. Right now I'm craving it. Don't ask me why. I just do.:surprised:[/QUOTE

Ya get yo self some?
So, how'd it all come out?

I like it,(Hormel)not so much these days,more a craving also when I have it.
May be cuz I dont do dogs at all to speak of.
Nasty things. I do like them,but I know they are one of the worst things one can eat.
Chilly was a good camp food back in the day.

Hormel Chili with beans. Right now I'm craving it. Don't ask me why. I just do.:surprised:

Hormel chili without beans poured over hot dogs resting in steamed buns with shreded extra sharp cheddar.

I know I shouldn't

I like the reactions of my post! I'm just lazy, I need to make my own chilie with the deer meat I got this spring. Thankz guyz.

Hormel Chili with beans. Right now I'm craving it. Don't ask me why. I just do.:surprised:[/QUOTE

Ya get yo self some?
So, how'd it all come out?

I like it,(Hormel)not so much these days,more a craving also when I have it.
May be cuz I dont do dogs at all to speak of.
Nasty things. I do like them,but I know they are one of the worst things one can eat.
Chilly was a good camp food back in the day.

I need to hug you soon!

I had Firehouse Chili last night. My second favorite dinner behind Firehouse Lasagna.

To me, canned chili (without beans) is only good for one thing: chili dogs! (with shredded cheddar cheese, diced onions and Tabasco sauce)

G.D.

Yeahhhhbhh..... Or Skyline - but you have to get it fresh, their canned stuff sucks. Sure do wish we had one local, probably a good thing we don't.

Yeahhhhbhh..... Or Skyline - but you have to get it fresh, their canned stuff sucks. Sure do wish we had one local, probably a good thing we don't.

Only been to Skyline once with my son in Fort Myers, FL. It was good. Never went back during the time I lived there, don't know why?

Back