How to create controlled flight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I go to maryland ( Baltimore next week or the other ) may be I can stop at this club if they have a launch , where is it ?

I got a question.. Are water rockets good for the first ever model rocket? and are they allowed to be talked on this forum?

:p as for my first rocket I think its a great choice.

I think water rockets is a nice place to start :)
I personally started with a SpaceX Falcon 9 with Dragon rocket, I still have it! Ive launched it 8 times and it flies like a dream, its so steady and has a slow realistic take off.
With a c-6-5 it flies best. I suggest definitely getting one sometime!

I started with a Millennium Falcon

It did the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs. Though I've never tried, it will out run Imperial starships....and not the local bulk cruisers

I'm not sure how to react. lol

I think we should all have dreams and you should pursue your dream of sending a rocket as high as you want. I don't know about dropping a car battery from your rocket. That doesn't really sound like a good idea. lol

As far as cost goes. I talked to the guy who was the first (I believe) amateur rocketeer to get a rocket into "space". He said that he and his team when all was said and done spent over 1 million dollars before they succeeded. So I hope you have deep pockets.

Oh theres a video of that guy. Its the the world record height for model rocket. What I founded to do was put helium balloons all over my rocket and let it go when they poped. And than turn on the engines. Later that day, I thought it was cheating so I cancelled it. :D
[video=youtube;rnaNliE59LE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnaNliE59LE[/video]

82 km higher than 100,000 feet.

Last edited:
Look Viper.

I'm going to put this bluntly.

You are trying to send HPRs to SPACE without having built a single model rocket before. Most of the L3 Cert. people on this forum couldn't do that, and they've designed built and launched at least 100 rockets.

Here's what I think you should do.
1. Build a simple Estes LPR kit, such as the Big Bertha.
2. Fly this kit on a standard Estes BP 18mm motor.
3. If you're still interested in the hobby, advance on to scratchbuilding a LPR.
4. Either scratchbuild or kit build a MPR.
5. Then, and only then should you consider trying for your HPR 1 Cert.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the wonderful hobby of Model Rocketry!

Look Viper.

I'm going to put this bluntly.

You are trying to send HPRs to SPACE without having built a single model rocket before. Most of the L3 Cert. people on this forum couldn't do that, and they've designed built and launched at least 100 rockets.

Here's what I think you should do.
1. Build a simple Estes LPR kit, such as the Big Bertha.
2. Fly this kit on a standard Estes BP 18mm motor.
3. If you're still interested in the hobby, advance on to scratchbuilding a LPR.
4. Either scratchbuild or kit build a MPR.
5. Then, and only then should you consider trying for your HPR 1 Cert.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the wonderful hobby of Model Rocketry!
I never said I wanted to go to space for my first rocket.....

I never said I wanted to go to space for my first rocket.....

You implied it with the helium baloon idea.
Also how would you start your engines once the balloons popped..
Youd need a really strong wireless connection..

Yes but I cancelled the idea. I don't feel like buying tanks of helium and than have it sit there in my garage for months.

I started with a Millennium Falcon

It did the Kessel run in less than 12 parsecs. Though I've never tried, it will out run Imperial starships....and not the local bulk cruisers

But you had to make a lot of special modifications yourself didn't you?

It's how I planned to make my shot at the CATS Prize that Ky Michaelson won, at least I think he got it. A Dr. Rocket Modular 4" rocket with special interstage for 2 stage flight. Prototype N2000 Blue Thunder fuel. 3.5" military gyros for stability( they spun to almost 200,000 RPM) and 15-20 large heilum bottles filling 9 custom polypropylene bags. I had a radio station sponsor but just as we were ready to start the radio station got sold to a pop format chain and my guys were on the unemployment line...

Latest posts

Back