mega der red max h engines

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Onebadhawk harnesses look fantastic, though I've already got all the materials for my home-grown solution for the MDRM. That said, I've also got a 3" LOC IRIS (38mm motor mount) in my build pile that I want to make a "full featured" L1 rocket - DD, fancy aeropak retainer, etc. A pair of those harnesses would be a great addition I think. Is 20' a bit long for a lightish L1 bird? I'm imagining the sight of a 4' tall rocket coming in in 3 pieces on 40' of laundry and it seems mildly absurd, but maybe I'm just not thinking HPR enough.

Yeah, 40' is definitely too much! I got the 20' one with the Kevlar sleeve, because it was off the shelf, but 15 feet would be fine. That goes from the booster part of the rocket to the chute and is connected to the chute with a quick link. Then from the quick link to the nose cone, I used paracord, about 5 to 7 feet. So the entire length of shock cord could be as short as 20 feet and it would be fine for the MDRM, I think. Maybe a 3-loop harness, 20 feet total would be the way to go.

Teddy is an expert and can give you expert advice on any setup you want for any size rocket. He's also a great guy. I think his email is "sales at Onebadhawk dot com." (You might want to mention you are doing an L1 attempt.)

The Onebadhawk harnesses look fantastic, though I've already got all the materials for my home-grown solution for the MDRM. That said, I've also got a 3" LOC IRIS (38mm motor mount) in my build pile that I want to make a "full featured" L1 rocket - DD, fancy aeropak retainer, etc. A pair of those harnesses would be a great addition I think. Is 20' a bit long for a lightish L1 bird? I'm imagining the sight of a 4' tall rocket coming in in 3 pieces on 40' of laundry and it seems mildly absurd, but maybe I'm just not thinking HPR enough.

The extra length doesn't hurt unless you are trying to save a little weight.

While 40' on each side on a dual deploy L1 rocket is probably too much, 20' on the drogue and 20' on main should be perfect. For the MDRM, a single 20-25' harness should be great.

Back