7.5" Fiberglass Iris L3 build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1660.jpgIMG_1662.jpgIMG_1664.jpgIMG_1665.jpg

I guess the pictures would have helped initially.

I'm stressing out over the limited amount of space in the e-bay. I haven't the slightest clue how I'm going to get two altimeters AND the batteries in there. Life is hard :wink:

Also did some light sanding for external fillet prep

Braden

I'm stressing out over the limited amount of space in the e-bay. I haven't the slightest clue how I'm going to get two altimeters AND the batteries in there. Life is hard :wink:

Braden

Quit trying to stuff those 2 truck batteries Scarpine gave you,in there...... switch back to 2 9v and problem solved!:smile:

Ps you bringing this beast to Airfest?

i know I'm not the only one disappointed with the cosmetics of a big Performance gelcoat nosecone

However...it fits in the tube.

Braden

IMG_1797.jpgIMG_1794.jpgIMG_1793.jpg

Just curious - what's your plan for motor retention?

Depends on the scenario.

For 3" and 4" cases I have adapters that are the same assembly as your basic motor mount, one centering ring 6" and one 7.5" The six inch ring goes into the motor tube, while the 7.5" one butts up against my rear centering ring, where it will be bolted in place between the fins at the base of the air frame, and a nylon strap will run from the forward bulkhead of the motor case to my kevlar harness with enough slack to not be tugged on when it it's under chute, but short enough that if the case some how blew out the back it would keep it partially in the motor tube as not to let it fly freely on the way down.

In the...well...case of a 6" case, My plan is to friction fit it with masking tape, and again, have a rescue line attached to my kevlar harness. I feel that such a heavy case when friction fit would not be the path of least resistance for the ejection charge, and that the coupler will provide the easier way out and all will go as planned. This is the method my dad and I have used for a while now, and only time will tell if it scales up nicely! I do know that we haven't kicked a motor case out the back even once, so I feel it's fairly proven, at least with 54-75mm stuff. I know I'm talking case diameter twice the size of 75mm hardware, but the principal is the same. Either way it's an empty case and the trick is to make it harder to push out then the coupler.

Braden

Nearly TWO YEARS AGO I started this build thread.

I thought it would be fun to build a big rocket, because I love watching big rockets fly.

It was definitely fun, but the logistics of it are starting to hit me. I keep looking at it and thinking "this is too big, It's going to suck to go get it, and it's going to suck to set it up. This rocket is stupid, why did I do this?"

Then I stack it all up and remember how badass it is.

And now. 25 days short of the two year mark...

SHE'S DONE!

First we stacked her up sans nosecone and decided to kinda get a feel for where the decals will be placed.

Then we wrapped a piece of paper so both sides would be equidistant from the color flip area (And yes, I decided to put decals on both sides. I know there's some disputes about that. One side is going up, and one going down. It really helps to make sure I've got the pieces lined up correctly!)

Smoothing those bad boys out:

And thar she blows ladies and gentlemen! Let's just see if I can ever actually fly the darn thing!

Note: I had to go with photobucket because the attachment function is dead for me, and so is the direct image uploading, and so are all the avatars, and images, and smileys and 90% of EVERYTHING on this Forum across Chrome, Waterfox, Firefox, and even IE.

Aptly, this is my 4,000th post on the forum! That's pretty exciting.

I hope you guys who have followed this have enjoyed this rollercoaster of a build thread. And I'd like to lay a few thanks out while I'm wrapping this post up:
Thanks Jim Scarpine for cutting my fins, all the help and parts you have provided me with over the years. Not to mention the inspiration to build a 7.5" Rocket with ridiculously thick G10 fins, and pushing me to fight through the stages where I felt like abandoning this thing because it's too big.

Thanks Jerry O'Sullivan for building YOUR 7.5" Iris and making me realize I had to have one :wink:

And of course, Thanks to my dad for always being there to help me keep fins straight while they dry, clean up the goops of epoxy I always manage to get on big fins when doing fillets so I can focus on the fillets themselves, and helping me get my decals on straight, among everything else. While I may be old enough to be certified myself, I'm never going to NOT want to build and fly rockets with my dad.

Last, but not least. Thanks for everyone on the forum who has guided me, helped me, and never told me I can't do something over these past (almost) 6 years of membership.

This one's for you guys!

Braden

Last edited:
EXCELLENT!

Nice to build that type/size of rocket, but notice you don't have your L2 (?, at least in your signature), how did you get a TAP to approve an L3 build?

Tim, a TAP doesn't have to "approve" a build, and anyone can build an L3 rocket capable of L2. In fact I recommend going through the TAP process when building large rockets, you never know if you want to do L3 or when. Best to be prepared.

Tim, a TAP doesn't have to "approve" a build, and anyone can build an L3 rocket capable of L2. In fact I recommend going through the TAP process when building large rockets, you never know if you want to do L3 or when. Best to be prepared.

Jim, really? Then I'm way off. I thought your TAPs had to approve your L3 design before you began your build. I also thought this approval could not (or at least would not) be given unless the flyer had their L2 cert. Now of course, if the builder is not seeking their L3 and just building to have another L3 fly their rocket, that's another story...

Tim, it's standard practice to run your design by your TAP, but I don't think they have the ability to total disallow a build. If there are safety issues in the design, that can be addressed and remedied before the build. As I understand it, anyone can go through the TAP process, I mean why not? Document your build, and when and if you decide to cert, you are ready. I did my L3 on a rocket I had been flying for years. I didn't go through the TAP process until I decided to take the big step.

Jim, really? Then I'm way off. I thought your TAPs had to approve your L3 design before you began your build. I also thought this approval could not (or at least would not) be given unless the flyer had their L2 cert. Now of course, if the builder is not seeking their L3 and just building to have another L3 fly their rocket, that's another story...

Yep, Jim's got it covered. The NAR rules do require that the design is approved prior to the build, but Tripoli has a "loophole" of sorts. I've got all the photos in the world of building this thing, so most TAPs will be fine with looking over the build and checking out the rocket. The original plan was to have both the Jim's (The crazy one and Scarpine) be my TAPs at MWP. But we'll have to see where this goes. Black Rock may be in play here.

I started building this thing before I turned 18,because I had been flying L2 motors since I was 15. I was pretty sure I'd blown through the certs quickly, but life stepped in the way!

Braden

Back