mega Hi flyer 6x up scale build cert'ed L2 flew straight ,up ( thanks na sayers)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris m

Reaction score
Hello the up scale of the hi flyer is 6 x. Nc is 17.25 the 4.25 tube is 65 all in inches . The tube is from a carpet store ( get them for free) the nose cone is made from the tube as well. 4 in from.the bottom of the nc I start my triangles. Up to now the seams are filled on the air frame and the nc is filled and taped with note book paper and vinyl joint compound . They will dry and sand. Then I coat the outside of the nose cone with a mixture of wood glue and fine flour . Works great ,but you need to get it flat because it gets very hard and light . Next the center rings 1/4 ply for 38 mm . The whole thing should top out at about 4.5-5 lbs

Last edited:
Still no pictures . Redo nose cone with bondo over the 4.25 tube cut in triangles from 4 inches from the bottom. With 1/4 balsa center rings inside . Cutting the 1/4 ply for the fins 9.75 wide and 27 inches long . They will be through tje wall

Can I get someone to-do a sim on this rocket my lap top is down thanks

I have pictures but can not figure out how to post them . Redone the nose cone , with bondo . Center rings cut , waiting on motor tube to get her to cut for that . Right now she is at 4.3 lbs air frame ,nose cone . 6 ft tall 4.25 tube . Should be fun

I have pictures but can not figure out how to post them . Redone the nose cone , with bondo . Center rings cut , waiting on motor tube to get her to cut for that . Right now she is at 4.3 lbs air frame ,nose cone . 6 ft tall 4.25 tube . Should be fun
Chris.
When posting click on the "Go advanced" button in the lower right corner, then go down to and click on "Manage Attachments". This will open another screen. Click on "Add Files" another small screen will pop up then click "Select Files". This will take you to your computer where you can find the Pics you want to upload. Select the ones you want and click "Save Files." Then "Upload Files" Then "Add in Line."
Files can be no larger than a certain size and the total upload size is limited too. Right now I can't remember the size limits.
In Advanced posting you can preview your post to make sure the pictures are where and what you wanted to post. You can also add emoticons. :smile:

IMAG1197.jpg well got one picture to load . It's the 17.5 nose cone it still needed work.
Got it pretty good , not bad for the first nose cone I have done . Picture of the cone before it was sanded down

Attachments

• IMAG1205.jpg
    IMAG1205.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 212
  • ATT_1364222424110_image.jpeg
    ATT_1364222424110_image.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Should have named the post something different .thought a 6.5 up scale would have gotten some looks

all scratch built only stuff bought is motor and mount and recovery:2:

Nice project. Those have to be the biggest fins EVER!

My brother-in-law installs carpet, and his son just built a hi-flier xl... hmmm.

Just might have to show this to them.

It's 1/4 not bad really the nose weight is 1.5 lbs . The air frame is 3 lbs . The best thing there free . I go to a carpet store and I get them . There 4.25 x 12ft

The nose cone is sectioned into 10 triangles . Started the cut 4 in from the bottom . Think the bottom of the triangle is 1.25 in to 1/4 on top . Will post next time I do the next cone . The autism rocket for thunder struck 5 .
Right now it looks to be a 24 inch nose cone . On the mega hi flyer the fins are 27 inches long and 9.25 wide

It's funny when the original hi flyer fits in to the nose cone of the up scale of it

Need input ...... Do I build for a 38mm or go with a 54mm? Because I can build adaptors to fly on a 29mm ( very low flight maybe 400 ft ) it will be my L1 rocket . It will have to fly at ash grove and not at Purdy farms it will be over 3.3 lbs thanks

This is very discouraging . Very little input , first build scratch build of a very well known Estes kit . And a L1 build at that . It maybe just me my home forum is down so no input there . I love reading what other people is doing and I post to them as well . Sorry done with my soap box
How know my L3 maybe a 15-20 inch up scale of the hi flyer .... I can see it now the ultimate maga hi flyer you do the math . Just guessing on this the fins would be 6-7 foot tall and 2 ft wide who know it maybe to big may just do the 8-10 inch

I honestly think picking a motor size is a very personal thing. Many people have encouraged me to go 38 vs 29 for my L1 as there are more motor choices. But I also look at the cost factor and each jump in size comes with a jump in price. From your description so far, I would think if you want high launches you would want the larger mount. But there is something to keeping your cert flight low. Makes recovery easier since most go single deployment for cert.

Yes thinking going 38mm but making a 38-29 adaptor think a H in the 300-400 range will get it up to 500-600 ft

With the 54 mm you could easily be up in the 3-5,000 ft range with this bird. Are you considering dual deploy or tracking?

Yes a tracker when I let her rip . My do dual . But have questions on how to do it . Just cut and add a coupler with bulkheads?

Based on the info in your thread - I did an OpenRocket simulation. I just scaled up the Hi-Flyer to 4.25 diameter. 1/4" wall thickness, and 1/4" birch plywood fins. (just to get a rough idea)

I'm coming up with 5 to 5.5 lbs without the motor.

If this is accurate, It will take a BIG 29mm motor to fly it.

A 3-grain 38mm Cessaroni I170 - goes to 1600 feet. For L2 a 6-grain J330 goes 3500 feet (motor deploy) Wildman had a cert special (buy the motor get the case free) You are correct larger diameters motors cost more. High Power = Open your wallet!!!

~MyBitmap.jpg

Last edited:
Yes very correct , as of right now it's 4.5 lbs with out the motor mount tube and recover.IMAG1219.jpgIMAG1220.jpg nose cone done just sitting with the air frame to see how the color will look and to sand down spots with 320 paper . The other with rozzie to show scale minus the fins

Thanks Scott , my lap top is down and its nice that you did the sim

Looking at fall ( ash grove ) to do my L1 and maybe L2 or wait for mwp 1-3 of November . Got to love it

I want to try DD on the maga ,but never have done this yet

Back