[First Post] Made an easy (but powerful!) Launch Controller!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetmelon

Reaction score
Hey there!

I've been interested in rocketry for some time, but only recently started getting into it more seriously. I had an Estes Electron-Beam launch controller that had started malfunctioning, and I decided I needed more umph if I was going to get into composite motors, so I built my own controller!

It's not very pretty, but the electronics are solid. I'm an EE student, so I understand electricity pretty well. I will be re-doing the box/casing later so it doesn't look like garbage. I will also be adding a fuse for the logic switches and a light/indicator of some sort to make sure the igniter is connected properly.

[YOUTUBE]e5NZ3xco4Ro[/YOUTUBE]

Cool. Heavy duty aluminum stock makes it serious ;)

It's actually 26ga steel! I was using it for bulkheads in certain "sweet" research engines, but I decided the blowtorch ignition method wasn't a good idea and re-purposed it. It was like $4 for a 24x12 piece iirc.

Most people eventually go to a relay system-

Hmm. I as mentioned, I'll be rebuilding this controller before too long. Maybe I'll keep it and put it down-range and make a small (wired) remote to activate the relay. Battery will be protected by the steel :) It's a 12V automotive relay though, so i might want to go to a 6v coil to not worry about voltage drop on the long run.

Welcome to the fun!

Back