Best way to transition into MPR?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueapplepaste

Reaction score
Hello - longtime lurker; first time poster. I apologize since I"m sure this has been asked a thousand times, but I have tried searching and haven't found all of my answers.

I've been into LPR off and on for ~20 years now. Always have had a few rockets ready to fly and always have had a blast (pun intended!). Biggest I've flown up to this point was an Estes Maniac on a D12.

However, lately I've been wanting to build bigger rockets, that will go higher. I know I'm not interested in getting my level 1 certification or getting into HPR. I've read a lot, but am looking for advice/tips on the best way to transition up.

I have been eyeing the value rocket MPR launch set, which includes launch controller, launch pad, and a kit (which I remember reading somewhere is an unbranded Aerotech Cheetah?): https://www.valuerockets.com/product_details.aspx?pid=7&itemid=14

Is this a good way and good value? Or would it be better to make my own launch pad, and get everything piecemeal? Most of the kits I've seen are in the $50ish range, so I figure with this starter set, I get pretty much everything for $50 more. From what I've seen the mantis pad has mixed reviews, but would it be good enough for now? Same thing for the launch controller?

Regarding the launch controller, it seems that the composite motors require 12V, what about current? And does it have to be 12V. For instance, would a 2000 mAh life pack with a nominal voltage of 13.2V work? This would be a lot more portable w/o having to lug a larger 12V battery or use the car engine. Are there other options for getting 12V?

I also recently ordered a RMS-24/40 (https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/aro/aro91241.htm) as I wanted to mess around with composite and reloadable motors on my current "D" sized rockets that I have now. Are there adapters that would allow this to work on the 29mm rockets since it'll handle up to "F" sized motors.

Eventually I'd like to do some "G" launches so will eventually invest in a 29mm case, but would the 24mm work for now assuming there is a way to make it work in a 29mm tube? Also, where is the best places to get composite reloads? I know of wildmanrocketry, any other good vendors with good prices?

Any other suggestions/tips/whatever is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1st off, welcome to TRF!

Your last couple of questions about using the 24mm case in a 29mm tube. Yes, there are adapters you can buy to do that- or you could make your own. Very easy to do..

Tip? Just do it! :)

To transition to MPR, I would recommend getting a couple of 29mm kits. The Estes Pro Series would work, or look at LOC, Binder Design, PML, etc. Also get the 29/40-120 casing, or two. There is a huge variety of MPR kits available. Take your time and shop around, read the forums, and build a few. You'll have fun!

Sorry, this is a duplicate thread. This was my original thread I tried posting a few days ago, but it never did. I thought technical glitches so tried again, and it worked the 2nd time.

Back