VEXplorer-2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's all three fins overlaid. A choice needs to be made on which is the best for the look I'm going for.

V-2 097.jpg

Consideration has to be given to the QCC Explorer (kit #3221) air intakes the fins will attaching to as well. The QCC Explorer air intakes need to be bent to match the curve of the boat tail.

V-2 045.jpg

Last edited:
I'll have to use the balsa bending ray gun thingy on those intakes.

imagesCAN4CXEC.jpg

Works like a charm. Everytime.

V-2 095.jpg

Attachments

• V-2 045.jpg
    V-2 045.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 20
I'm enjoying watching this evolve! There's some real skill being documented.....

I'm enjoying watching this evolve! There's some real skill being documented.....
As usual.

Looking good there, Bc. I need one 'o them thar guns. That, or some creativity and intiative. First weapon of choice: a magic Dixon Ticonderoga No. 2.

Last edited:
The kerf of the teeth on the right side of the saw were brought "up to" the left side of the line drawn on the cone.

Cutting "on" the line would make the length of the cone a fraction of an inch shorter then what is desired. Those fractions will add up on ya.

Hey! I'm not the only one who builds rockets in his kitchen!

I want a ram jet for the VEX-2 nose cone. I can't find one to buy in the size needed, so I'll have to get creative and make my own.

Pictured below are templates of the V-2 nose cone and boat tail. Side by side they do not draw alot of attention to them selves.

How have i missed this ?
Its good to know i'm not the only who uses Semroc for planning :)

We can do that 'cause we don't have a female overlord telling us what we can't do in the kitchen that we paid for! :wink:
Eh, my girlie-girl puts up with a lot. The kitchen table is where all my builds take place. Fully one quarter of the table is rocket parts, paint, etc.

I had to move a Thunder-Strike off the table this morning after letting some parts dry last night. It's on the dining room table now. I try to keep them moving.

This one's a keeper.

That is very sharp!
Are you going to use the top cover plates on the intakes?

That is very sharp!
Are you going to use the top cover plates on the intakes?

Thank you for saying so.

Yes the air intakes will be coverd over after everything is permenatly in place. The photos are of a mock up to see how some parts are meshing.

I too almost missed this most creative build since being out of town working.

As always ,very informative and a cool spin on an old rocket.

Subscribed !!

BTW- I once built a rocket in bed (ARG Black Brant IV) after an operation 5 years ago,it only cost me a pillow case and one decal stuck to the back of my neck !

Nice work buddy !

Paul T

I too almost missed this most creative build since being out of town working.

As always ,very informative and a cool spin on an old rocket.

Subscribed !!

BTW- I once built a rocket in bed (ARG Black Brant IV) after an operation 5 years ago,it only cost me a pillow case and one decal stuck to the back of my neck !

Nice work buddy !

Paul T

Thanks! The support from one of TRF's best builders is very much appreciated.

During perusal of this photo a flaw in the air intake and the scale fin arangement made itself glaringly apparent.

V-2 095.jpg

As the air intake moves up the boat tail its height increases.

V-2 095.jpg

Last edited:
This gradual increase in the air intake pushes the scale fin out of its original orientation with the boat tail.

V-2 095.jpg

(trembling in anticipation)

Then I had better get to it...

50 mm was measured up from the left and right corners coners of a piece of printer paper. A dot was left at each measurement, then the dots were connected with a line.

This line will be the BASE line for all the scale templates.

Place the curser on the photo and left click the mouse. This expands the photo, then the shape will be easy for you to see.

This can be done several times 'til the picture fills the screen.

V-2 101.jpg

The center of the boat tail was found and marked.

The bottom of the boat tail was aligned with the base line and the boat tails center was aligned with the left edge of the printer paper. The right side of the boat tails profile was traced onto the printer paper.

V-2 102.jpg

The inside curve of the air intake was mated to the curve of the boat tail and the bottom was aligned with the base line.

The air intake was then trace onto the printer paper.

V-2 103.jpg

The root edge of the scale fin follows the curve of the boat tail right down to the boat tails base, then the following edge of the fin protrudes a short distance past the base of the boat tail at a right angle. This 90 degree point between the fin and boat tail is placed on the base line.

The point on the fin where the root edge and leading edge converge is placed on the top of the air intake.

The following edge of the fin should now be parallel with the base line. A square is used to show that it is.

V-2 104.jpg

Last edited:
Now that the blue scale fin has been traced out in the proper orientation to the boat tail and then moved off to the side, you can see the area that has been added between the dotted root edge and the top of the air intake.

(Place the curser on the photo and left click the mouse. This expands the photo, then the shape will be easy for you to see. This can be done several times 'til the picture fills the screen.)

Also, a thru the wall fin tab has been added to the fins root edge.

V-2 105.jpg

Last edited:
Nice drawings ,gives a sense of what`s going on and how things need to fit ,I make templates often myself.

I was going to ask you about TTW fins tabs ,but my question was answered.

Looking good T

Paul t

Back