VEXplorer-2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a blank sheet of paper to me... I can see there's lines on it, but just barely-- can't even make out the shape...

Can you use wider lines??

Looks like an interesting project from what little I can see...

Later and have a good one! OL JR :)

Looks like a blank sheet of paper to me... I can see there's lines on it, but just barely-- can't even make out the shape...

Can you use wider lines??

Looks like an interesting project from what little I can see...

Later and have a good one! OL JR :)

Place the curser on the photo and left click the mouse. This expands the photo, then the shape will be easy for you to see.

I want a ram jet for the VEX-2 nose cone. I can't find one to buy in the size needed, so I'll have to get creative and make my own.

Pictured below are templates of the V-2 nose cone and boat tail. Side by side they do not draw alot of attention to them selves.

V-2 078.jpg

When the bases of both the nose cone and the boat tail are aligned and the templates overlayed, one over the other, the differances between the two stand out. Also, the ram jet shape I am after shows itself.

V-2 079.jpg

The BNC-80VD is available (Semroc) for $22.75 and the BNC-60V is available for $8.15 (Semroc).

V-2 082.jpg

I'm not thrilled with the idea of spending $22.75 on a balsa V-2 nose cone and then hacking it up. But, I don't have much of a problem hacking up a $8.15 balsa V-2 nose cone!

V-2 081.jpg

Now I'm ready to go from 2D to 3D.

V'ioa la!

Two BT-80 V-2 boat tails predrilled to accept the outside diameter of a 29 mm motor tube and one BT-60 V-2 nose cone.

V-2 065.jpg

Last edited:
This device was used to mark a circle 70 mm around & down from the tip of the BNC-60V.

V-2 066.jpg

The BNC-60V was crammed into a BT-60. By crammed, I mean the cone was twisted and pushed into the tube at the same time. I was glad to have such a tight fit because it will stop the cone from wiggling around in the tube when the saw is drawn back and fourth over the cone.

What's not shown in the picture is the layers of news paper that are supporting the left side of the tube, keeping the tube level with the miter box.

After everything is lined up, snug and level the tube is secured to the miter box with blue painters tape.

V-2 067.jpg

The kerf of the teeth on the right side of the saw were brought "up to" the left side of the line drawn on the cone.

Cutting "on" the line would make the length of the cone a fraction of an inch shorter then what is desired. Those fractions will add up on ya.

V-2 068.jpg

After sketching...

playing with templates...

sawing a nose cone...

I got just what I wanted.

V-2 071.jpg

wearacup.jpg

Attachments

• V-2 073.jpg
    V-2 073.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 53
  • V-2 081.jpg
    V-2 081.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 51
  • V-2 069.jpg
    V-2 069.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 33
After sketching...
playing with templates...
sawing a nose cone...
I got just what I wanted.

I like the shape of the ramjet nosecone!
The upper tip is longer than what I'm used to seeing.

I like the shape of the ramjet nosecone!
The upper tip is longer than what I'm used to seeing.

Since the Semroc BTC-80VA boat tail is already drilled out, my first thought was to glue a bulkhead half an inch down the hole in the boat tail and glue the tip of the BNC-60V to the bulkhead. This aproch would have looked much more realistic.

It would also have caused a butt load of drag!

I decided too make the bulk head flush with what would now be the top of the boat tail. The BNC-60V was measured and cut so the base diameter of the cone was just enough to cover the bulk head.

Purely by chance, the length of the modifiyed ram jet nose cone came out to nearly the same length as the normal V-2 nose cone. It's 1/10 th of an inch longer.

This 2nd method of construction will have considerably less drag then the 1st method would have produced.

By the time construction is finished on the VEXplorer-2, you will become use to the longer look of this ram jet and it will look normal.

220px-Blinky-Simpsons.png

V-2 072.jpg

The arrow I placed on the face card of the new Estes V2 is pointing to the words "semi scale". I guess the terms "semi scale" and "artistic license" are interchangable at Estes.

A 'K' model designator should have been added to the discription.

V-2(K)
The K would stand for "Kind'a". As in kind'a V-2ish looking.

V-2 085.jpg

Here's a catalog picture of the 1st V-2 kit avialable in 1966. They were alot closer to semi scale 47 years ago then they are now.

66est20.jpg

Here's a picture of a fin from the new kit.

Your probly thinking 'Yeah, so what'?

V-2 086.jpg

Here's the 47 year old semi scale and scale fins side by side with the new kits semi scale fin.

V-2 091.jpg

Attachments

• V-2 086.jpg
    V-2 086.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Back