So disappointed with all the Flis Kit Flyers.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddyisabar

Oddroc scum. Mindsimmer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
No entries for the June contest? What’s up Flisonians? No Frick-n-Fracks worth posting for Flis Bucks? I know I am really smart, good looking and well, just downright practically perfect in every way, but as a three time winner I just can’t do it all by myself. Where is the spirit? You can’t just give up on Flistopia. You can’t have Master Flis posting :sad: in the Contest Forum. You can’t just give up and not enter anything. Why, did we give up when the German’s bombed Pearl Harbor? You have got to get up and get mad. Yes, put down the bag of chips and chocolate shake. Turn off the reality TV, get off the couch and go over to that stack of unbuilt kits or scratch builds and shout “I’m mad as hell and I won’t take it anymore!” Enter the contest and show model rocket building has not gone the way of the Dodo. Model rocketry satisfaction is much more fulfilling than the instant gratification gained from video games and Pepsi swollen innocence. Get outside, launch and post the build here and enter the contest. I bet you can do it. You have the tools and the talent. Your brain is a terrible thing to waste a watchin’ that Honey Boo Boo when you could be building a Flis Kit!

Here is my entry for the next contest.........

JPC7_0045FB.jpg
Flis Kits Drake

Hope it qualifies​

Awesome! So they do exist and will be entered. Good traditional design with the motor in the right place and does not require tons of stinkin' nose weight. So nice to actually see a post here in the contest section. It may be last on the list but it is first in our hearts:blush:. If no one else enters the DOM contest then it looks like a win! Is anyone else up for the challenge?

Awesome! So they do exist and will be entered. Good traditional design with the motor in the right place and does not require tons of stinkin' nose weight. So nice to actually see a post here in the contest section. It may be last on the list but it is first in our hearts:blush:. If no one else enters the DOM contest then it looks like a win! Is anyone else up for the challenge?

What is wrong with nose weight?

What is wrong with nose weight?

You can't see it. It reduces performance so you need a bigger, peppier, more expensive motor. It is usually some kind of toxic heavy metal with messy glue in hard to reach places. It usually doesn't stick well to waxy plastic rocket nose cones and can break away in flight. You can never have too much. Some people use very time consuming, expensive and difficult methods of installing variable nose weight systems that do not add to the sleek beauty a rocket should have. And finally, it makes silly airplane rockets possible.

You can't see it. It reduces performance so you need a bigger, peppier, more expensive motor. It is usually some kind of toxic heavy metal with messy glue in hard to reach places. It usually doesn't stick well to waxy plastic rocket nose cones and can break away in flight. You can never have too much. Some people use very time consuming, expensive and difficult methods of installing variable nose weight systems that do not add to the sleek beauty a rocket should have. And finally, it makes silly airplane rockets possible.

Clay. I use clay.

Clay. I use clay.

Plasticine porters with looking glass eyes. My Nantucket Sound kit has a lovely little red block. TOYS! Englishmen making flower gardens out of the stuff on the BBC, a bit dodgy I would say.

Real men use old musket balls or big fishing weights. For maximum performance I have used Tungsten, and that was because depleted uranium wasn't handy, nothing but the best for nose weight here. Putting the nose cone in a bucket of water so the heat from the epoxy cure won't melt the cone it is a sure sign that you are on the right track. That's the kind of entry the Fliskits DOM contest needs. Bigger Duces, Treses and TOGs.

Rolling copperhead BB's into little plasticine snakes and then pushing them into a LPR Baby Bertha cone until it is completely full is just sad. Then using a ping pong ball for a rear gun turret where the motor should go makes it even worse. Such a silly thing has no chance against a decent upsacle, HPR Flis Kit.

Plasticine porters with looking glass eyes. My Nantucket Sound kit has a lovely little red block. TOYS! Englishmen making flower gardens out of the stuff on the BBC, a bit dodgy I would say.

Real men use old musket balls or big fishing weights. For maximum performance I have used Tungsten, and that was because depleted uranium wasn't handy, nothing but the best for nose weight here. Putting the nose cone in a bucket of water so the heat from the epoxy cure won't melt the cone it is a sure sign that you are on the right track. That's the kind of entry the Fliskits DOM contest needs. Bigger Duces, Treses and TOGs.

Rolling copperhead BB's into little plasticine snakes and then pushing them into a LPR Baby Bertha cone until it is completely full is just sad. Then using a ping pong ball for a rear gun turret where the motor should go makes it even worse. Such a silly thing has no chance against a decent upsacle, HPR Flis Kit.

Well, I did use a teaspoon of stellar core matter, but it tore the chute loose upon deployment.

Well, I did use a teaspoon of stellar core matter, but it tore the chute loose upon deployment.

Where do you get that? Will it stick to Estes plastic? I needs it to weigh about as much as 24 elephants in my Baby Bertha cone, then just maybe I can get the CG up above the imagined CP on the Barling Bomber I was thinking of.

Where do you get that? Will it stick to Estes plastic? I needs it to weigh about as much as 24 elephants in my Baby Bertha cone, then just maybe I can get the CG up above the imagined CP on the Barling Bomber I was thinking of.

1 teaspoon = 5.5×1012 kg. Just to step back from prepping it requires 0.4 times the speed of light.

...well, I only got 3 with two built, An Overdrive and a Rhino. The unbuilt is a Decim8 I got in a Santa exchange. It's unbuilt because I wasnted to sharpen my skills because I think it deserves more attention to detail than any I've built before. Chan Stevens built his as soon as they came out, it was a very nice job of a stock build. I just wanted to take a couple of steps further like those skinny vanes that go over the back pingpong ball. I want to CA and round all of those vanes leaving no square edges. Use spackeling to blend things together, thing like that. I'm getting special building things I think I need like Flexi-Files. The paint job is going to be very difficult. I want to give it a Vorlon style paint job. They have a 4 color paint job going, two flowing under colors of satin black and a satin grey and two upper graphics colors that are pretty subtle, too.

I'm estimating 100 hours or better...think I'll do it in small pieces on it's own table :p

When did this contest start? Will this do? Flown on an E28.

PIC_1973.jpgPIC_1975.jpgPIC_1974.jpgPIC_3415.jpg

[video=youtube_share;VBwCUXCIx0Y]https://youtu.be/VBwCUXCIx0Y[/video]

...well, I only got 3 with two built, An Overdrive and a Rhino. The unbuilt is a Decim8 I got in a Santa exchange. It's unbuilt because I wasnted to sharpen my skills because I think it deserves more attention to detail than any I've built before. Chan Stevens built his as soon as they came out, it was a very nice job of a stock build. I just wanted to take a couple of steps further like those skinny vanes that go over the back pingpong ball. I want to CA and round all of those vanes leaving no square edges. Use spackeling to blend things together, thing like that. I'm getting special building things I think I need like Flexi-Files. The paint job is going to be very difficult. I want to give it a Vorlon style paint job. They have a 4 color paint job going, two flowing under colors of satin black and a satin grey and two upper graphics colors that are pretty subtle, too.

I'm estimating 100 hours or better...think I'll do it in small pieces on it's own table :p

Now that is livin' the High Life in Flistopia!

This is kind of a strange thread.

Any posts in the Contest section are greatly valued and at times have been few and far between. Maybe it is more of a back lot on the forum where those of us who live in a van down by the river can stop by with out having to fear the strict, traditional thread forms of the educated and higher class model rocket scientists. They may be the pillars of society, leading us into modernity in a safe and high jack free forum, but at times it can be a bit boring. So have fun and enter your creative scratch builds and kit bashes into the contest. Some hot chick photos dispersed amongst all the high end rocket science talk might not hurt your chances of winning.:wink:

Several have posted "what FlisKits needs" comments, with regard to the DOM. Well, what we NEED are contestants! :)

We had no June entries and nothing yet for July. Here's hoping we get some more activity! For years we heard folks asking if we were ever going to re-start the DOM, so we finally did. Come on over, share your designs! You win either way cuz everyone gets to see your work and efforts!

I had planned several themed DOM's but held back because activity was so low. But what I will do is announce, right here, right now, that August will be the A.C.M.E. themed DOM so get your ACME ideas layed out, built and flown and get your entries in! Oh, and don't let that steam plunked ACME scare you away! Lol

Jim (the lonely, bored DOM administrator at FlisKits....)

All that stuff was just way back in the ole tyme, black and white movie days. What's important is to get the rocket science right, the rest is just liberal arts blah-blah-blah. Golly, I wish I had one of those cool new video game systems where I could spend hours a blowin' things up in a virtual world instead of trying to build and make these scratch model rockets fly. Then maybe I would fit in with the rest of the kids on the block.

All that stuff was just way back in the ole tyme, black and white movie days. What's important is to get the rocket science right, the rest is just liberal arts blah-blah-blah. Golly, I wish I had one of those cool new video game systems where I could spend hours a blowin' things up in a virtual world instead of trying to build and make these scratch model rockets fly. Then maybe I would fit in with the rest of the kids on the block.

My lawyers have said the best thing to do is to just not respond to this. So.
*whistles*

Well, I don't know if it's going to arrive in time for the deadline, or even arrive at all for that matter, but I've just sent an e-mail to the submission address with information about this:
threetoone.jpg

It's Three To One. It looks like a Tres on the pad. It looks like a Tres shortly after launch.
6371threetoone_sky1_small.jpg

But a normal Tres doesn't do this.
6373threetoone_sky3_small.jpg

The lower half of Three To One is a triple-motor booster; the upper half has its own motor mount and is a sustainer. Ignition of a sustainer through such a long booster requires the use of quickmatch fuse, but that doesn't require a licence in the UK. :D

Back