Old Rocket Restoration

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nute

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was just in PA, and some family gave me some old, OLD rockets (20 years in a shed). Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can restore them at all? It's mostly just really dirty paint, but i don't want to take spray paint to them because they have the decals on, and the two best ones are an Estes Phoenix and an estes Maxi Icarus (both discontinued) I would just wash them with soapy water but I don't know how the body tube would handle that.:confused: I'll post some pictures when I get home. Happy flying!

As long as the fins are sealed water will be ok. Just be careful not to rub the decals to hard. And of course don't submerg the hole rocket in water. And yes let's see some picks.

Alright, I should be able to post some tomorrow when I get home.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try to put some pics up tomorrow if I can

Be careful with much water getting inside the front and rear edges of the body tubes.
If the tubes and wood are painted and sealed you should be okay for cleanup.

I've had great luck with the "Magic Eraser" type sponges. It doesn't take much water to activate the cleaner.
Wet the sponge, squeeze out the water and clean.
I can't guarantee how well they would work over old decals though -

https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2011/07/cleaning-up-tips.html

I had never thought to try "Magic Erasers"! That's probably easier than soap and water alone. I'll put up some before and after pictures if I can tomorrow Thanks for the tip!

I'd probably start with an old t-shirt and lightly wipe them down to try to get rid of as much loose dust as you can. Then some kind of cleaning wipes and as noted above be careful of the ends of the tubes, decals, and the fins. I can understand wanting to keep the original finish and decalling on rockets of this age especially if the were well built examples. You can always use them as patterns if you want to clone them in the future and give them a pretty new finish.

Sorry everyone but I'm not having much luck posting pictures. I'm being told almost all of them are too large, and i've tried everything. Regardless, the rockets are looking good! I used just some soapy water first, and that worked very well to clear up most of the spots and stains. Then I used the popular suggestion of "Magic Eraser" type things. unfortunately, i didn't have any, and my parents wouldn't take me to the store, but I had some wipes lying around and they did work very well! the Maxi Icarus will take some paint to the nosecone, and the Phoenix will require touch up painting along fin joints and on the nosecone. Thanks all for the suggestions, and i'll try again to post some pics later!(please disregard the picture at the bottom)

DSCN1499.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the rockets after water, soap, and a scrub with some wipes: ps: sorry the pics aren't very good, but I'm really not much of a photographer
DSCN1505.jpgDSCN1504.jpgThere's the worst part of the whole thing:the Maxi Icarus nosecone:DSCN1503.jpgThe Phoenix cleaned up surprisingly well!:DSCN1512.jpg

Last edited:
Nute, if you are on a PC platform, google up "FastStone Photo Resizer" which will batch convert pics for you to a lower resolution to make them appropriate for forum uploads. It's a great program, and is free!

That is a nice software, let's see how this works: here's a picture of the Phoenix i took after just some water:pic number two for forum.jpg. It's hard to tell from that one, but it's clearer here:DSCN1516.jpgDSCN1517.jpg that the fin joints have some nasty paint cracks. They'll require some touch up.

Attachments

• DSCN1515.jpg
    DSCN1515.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 217
I hope to! I'll finish refinishing them, and then test fly them. Btw do you know if it would be necessary to replace the old shock cord? I was thinking yes, but how? On the Phoenix the shock cord is attached to the motor mount which is not possible to access. And if I should replace it where can I get one?

If these models have the old rubber shock cords they probably should be replaced. I would use 1/8" or 1/4" wide sewing elastic about 2 to 3 feet long. If you have to replace your old shock cord in the Phoenix, I would use an Estes trifold shock cord mount for the replacement. If I use a trifold mount, I normally cut them out of index card stock.

That's a good idea- sewing elastic-on a similar note, does anyone know what size parachute would work best? I don't have a massive recovery field so drift is an issue, but the fins are also probably brittle so a happy medium would be good, maybe 24" with a small spill hole?

Yes the fins are a big concern when it come to a chute. If you can get away with the 24 then use it I think mine is a 12 and it can drift a ways off. You don't want to lose thoughts rockets they are original estes kits and you can't get them any more. I only fly mine at the big areas that we go to. You should launch the Phoenix on a E size reload motor the D size are OK but don't get much altitude and need a short delay. But if your field is short that might be your motor to use.

I'm leaning towards the D's. The larger Es seem to be pretty expensive, or at least more than the Ds. I'm starting high school in September so price is a major factor for me. Like i said my field is rather small, so Ds might work better, but maybe when I go to some club launches I'll try a larger E motor, but because i don't plan to launch Es that often would Aerotech or other E single use motors be more cost efficient?

Composite motors are cheaper on a $/NS basis. However, they are more expensive (because they have more Newton Seconds).

Do you get what I mean?

Matt

Really a streamer? I think it would come in way too fast on that, even a large one, it's 6.6 oz! Then again, just looking at your motors you probably know more than I do! If I did get a streamer where would I do it? Maybe Semroc?

Yeah that makes sense. Are The Aerotech 24mm single Use motors sold for $10 or $15 each or per two or three like Estes (my only experience with 24mm)

I love my phoenix rockets.D12-3 is the way to go. It'll only go up about 300 feet, if that. E9's don't have the thrust to lift them. 3 foot of elastic should be good. Don't launch if its real windy, Those big fins will turn the rocket sideways :( A streamer will crack those rear fins off. I use about an 18" chute.

5921955285_c88414c159.jpg
5921953971_02c606aa89.jpg

Thanks for the info! I think a D12-3 would work best for my budget as well but who knows maybe some day i'll get the guts to go out and buy an E or F and see it really get going. Those photos are beautiful!! Your rocket looks great! I take it it wasn't sitting in a shed for 20 years? Love the crisp paint-decal lines lines.

Last edited:
Thanks! Naw spent about 20 years on a shelf at my parents house. Its a fun rocket.

Well I went ahead and bought an 18" 'chute for the Phoenix. Now i just have to figure out where to get a shock cord...

Thanks, I'm rather new to rocket restoration and major repair, so any info is good!

Your rockets came out looking nice, great job on the clean up!

Great advice so far except for using a 2x20 streamer on larger rockets, not a good idea.

I'd go with at least 1/4" elastic for replacement shock cord on rockets of this size. I use paracord but that has it's own dangers, more likely to zipper if you get the delay wrong. Elastic will be easier to use with a standard trifold mount.

The D12-3 should be perfect for the Phoenix. I've never launched a Maxi Icarus but Estes recommends a D12-5.

You may want to make sure that the cracking that you see in the paint isn't a symptom of underlying structural weakness. If there is any wiggle in the fins you'll want to address that before launching.

Great looking vintage Estes rockets, have fun with them and launch them in accordance with the model rocket safety code.

Thanks, I'm rather new to rocket restoration and major repair, so any info is good!

Seeing how you are new to rocketry maybe call a local hobby shops that supplys rockets and see if there is a location that other rocketers go and fly. Also if you are OK with letting other TRF'rs here know what city you live in there could be someone here close to you and help you. But make sure.its OK with you parents first.

Back