Yaesu VX-8GR discontinued?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if that is why they had a $50 rebate for purchases made up to the end of June.

BTW, do you know if there is a "Getting Started" with the VX-8GR that's helpful for a novice like me?

Greg

Since the order button is available, I would think they forgot to edit their template. The original VX-8 has been discontinued, but the VX-8DR and VX-8GR are still available. Yaesu is constantly upgrading their handhelds with more features and technology. Just watch for the exact model number if you want GPS, APRS, etc. Check GIGAPARTS for the best prices that I know of, plus free shipping on some items.

BTW, do you know if there is a "Getting Started" with the VX-8GR that's helpful for a novice like me?

Troj put instructions for configuring it for use with the BeelineGPS into this https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?45080-Setting-up-the-VX-8GR-and-TH-D72-for-BeeLine-GPS sticky.

https://niftyaccessories.com/ has handy reference cards and manuals but they might be a bit abbreviated for a complete novice. These radios have so many features that I find I sometimes need a memory jog to find obscure features.

I've sent UniversalRadio an email to see if that page is in error.

Last edited:
That's too bad as I believe it was a good entry level tracker. The only other available H/T is the D72 (aside from used -8R's,D7's etc.). I have one and like it but it's pretty pricey. It can be plugged into a laptop with a mapping program and track in realtime on a map. The GR can do this also. A
Can also interface to a handheld GPS and I've seen some nifty arrangements with the radio and a Garmin 60Cs "lashed" to a ping-pong paddle so one can see
where the rocket is going.

A TNC-X can be interfaced to any H/T and a laptop to form a mapping base station. https://tnc-x.com/

UI-View can record and playback a flight in realtime. Xastir can log and re-display the datapoints at will. There are several truly free programs (Xastir, YAAC) that have free mapsets that anyone can use. Kurt

On GigaParts, the FT1DR is in a similar price range to where the -8GR started out.

I expect the price will slowly come down over time.

-Kevin

On GigaParts, the FT1DR is in a similar price range to where the -8GR started out.

I expect the price will slowly come down over time.

-Kevin

Yes, it will. Digital is still in its infant stages with Ham Radio, and will grow with time. Digital still commands a high premium.

Yes, it will. Digital is still in its infant stages with Ham Radio, and will grow with time. Digital still commands a high premium.

I'm not sure the FT1DR will do APRS tracking. The gps stuff for D-Star is different than APRS. The Yaesu site says it will do APRS but I don't trust them.
They said the VX-8R was interfaceable with a laptop for APRS tracking and they were wrong. The F1 is a fancy-dancy digitial communicator so unless
the rocket flyer/ham is interested in those communication modes, I'd go for a D-72 if wanting full tracking features or a GR if you can find it. The D-72 can be had for less than the FT1DR The GR was a good entry level tracker and I find it yet again another stupid move on Yaesu's part. The -8R was lousy when it came out and they drop a good thing once they got it close to right with the GR. Kurt

Need some input... I am just dumber than a bag or rocks when it comes to electronics....

So I am thinking about making the jump to a GPS system (BRB 70 CM) for the receiver I see there is now a Yaesu VX-8DR , which they describe as "an APRS® enhanced version of the popular VX-8R."

Per the website I visited: "Key additional features of the VX-8DR include:

Smart Beaconing™ Function.
Station List memories has increased from 40 to 50.
The number of APRS® Message Memories has increased from 20 to 30.
DIGI-PATH route indication function.
Heads up compass display to the GPS screen.
The Message received LED flashing rate is selectable.
The number of DIGI-PATH route settings has increased from 1 to 7. "

In addition, Yaesu is currently offering an $80 mail-in rebate on these units (valid until 12/31/2013), which makes it quite affordable. Cost after mail-in rebate is $349 on Gigaparts

In your opinion, is this a good fit to work with the BRB system?

Anyone already owns one and can chime in?

Thank you in advance.

I don't own either product, but in principle the VX-8r has a built in TNC decoder so you can see your GPS info coming off the BRB. You will need to have a ham radio license to use the BRB and APRS function. You may also want to consider a directional antenna for better signal reception and prevent data packet lose.

The -8DR will work. It does not have a built-in GPS receiver, so if you want direction and bearing from the radio, you'll need to add a GPS receiver to it (The FGPS-2 is one option; there's also an external mic w/ the GPS receiver built in).

You can use the radio with a BeeLine GPS w/out having a GPS receiver on the radio. You'll just have to enter the GPS coordinates it displays into another GPS to get relative position information.

-Kevin

The FT1DR has been confirmed by a customer of mine to work with the BigRedBee GPS.

I know this may be slightly off topic, but I put together an APRS tracking solution for under $100 using a Baofeng radio and a mobilinkd.com TNC. It has a bluetooth connection and you run APRSDROID on your phone for a display. Pretty sweet! Maybe I should start a new thread on this topic.

Greg

Back