Multiple choice: What is your opinion on this Tapeworm Model Rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Multiple choice: What is your opinion on this Tapeworm Model Rocket?

• Fun parasitic worm flying for the entire family, I like it!

• No fins on the bottom, motors in the wrong place, CG-CP relationship will never last

• This Taenia Solium rocket is so cute it just suckers me in, it just might work.

• This rocket brings back too many memories of High School Zoology class.

• WARNING: Only use this rocket for education on promoting a Kosher life style.

• Hauling a big streamer behind a top canted, unfinned rocket is Bass Ackwards and a bit too dodgy

• Just Daddy and his tapeworm rocket, wait until it gets its hooks into him, then it will really suck.

• So much for silly airplane rockets, Daddy finally moves up to sickening Monster rockets.

• The Crazy Train - North Pole Express has left the station and Daddy is the conductor.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Daddyisabar

Oddroc scum. Mindsimmer.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
P7020256.jpgP7020257.jpgP7020258.jpgP7020259.jpgP7020260.jpg

This is not the defunct Nine Inch Nails project, nor is it the computer program that fixed HAL 9000 in 2010 A Space Odyssey. Nope, this is Taenia Solium, the scourge of humanity also known as the Pork Tapeworm, ready to set flight for all to enjoy. Some may say it is just a case of Neurocysticercosis that can be treated with a dose of albendazole or praziquantel, others may point to simple Scoleciphobia. Whatever the cause the fact is we must simply deal with this abomination of model rocketry the best we can, viewing it as the product of a sick and demented mind.

Cute Rocket Kid: “Mommy, Mommy, this post is scaring me!”

Mommy Dearest: “Don’t worry darling, the tapeworms will not get you.”

Cute Rocket Kid: “OH no Mommy, I am not worried about the tapeworms, it is the highly questionable rocket design that is frightening my inner RSO!”

This lovely little hermaphrodite is powered by three E9-4s or D12-3s located at the top of the invaginated scolex, the motor mounts mimicking bothria are in between the suckers and below the two rows of hook fins. The Scolex is made out of a Styrofoam ball and the newly forming proglottids consist of two plastic water bottles caulked to a recycled BT 60 from my Storm Caster that spent a half an hour or so in the lake a few years back. The rest of the more mature proglottids making up the strobia are simply 2X2” pieces of cardstock braided and super glued to a nylon string. The suckers are 18mm centering rings covered in 100% silicon and roughed up with the index finger for a more organic look. So what if the Testor's primer doesn’t stick to the silicon adhesive, it makes it look scarier and that is what a Monster Rocket is all about. The launch rod goes through the center.

Jeepers Creepers, I sure hope the Pad Fuehrer is not in a 3FNC only mood when I bring this little monster up to the RSO table. When all the real Level 2 and 3 rocket scientists start drilling me on the science behind this one what am I going to say? “Sorry I don’t have a computer simulation, but guys, I got a real GUT FEELING this one will fly straight.” I’ve got heavy and inefficient E9 motors, but they are up top just like nose weight, and look, the sucky motors are located between the real suckers! Yeah, that should get me a pad assignment. I can also tell them when I grow up I can build an adult tape worm, a Polygonoporus Giganticus, a three N powered monster a 100 feet long with a thousand proglottids in the strobia. It can even shed of baggies of white Tic Tacs at launch for the crowd to pick up out of the dirt, delicious! If they happen to get Cysticercosis by Taenia Solium then just a little niclosamide will clear it up. . . Dude, that is sick. Why, if this tapeworm rocket works what is to stop eight motored octopi, or squids, snakes, dragons or jellyfish? Oh, for the love of all things safe and traditional, I’m sure the Pad Fuehrer will be hoping for more members flying decent 3FNC with awesome paint jobs and motor retention.

If this tapeworm rocket doesn’t fly I can always take off the tail and hooks, paint the bottom green, slap on a red star and call it a Soyuz.

FYI:
Intermediate Host::flyingpig:
Definitive Host::facepalm:

Tapeworm, the other, other white meat.

While I am not prepared to discuss brain cysts I can say that I do trust my clip whip and the awesome power of canted E9 flame fin action. There is only one way for a real tape worm to come out and I hope this rocket is not extracted from Daddy in the same manner. Hopefully I will not have to run faster than Martin Luther had to from the Diet of Worms. Yes, I am descended from a long line of German Hog Farmers.

Stay tuned, next week on Monsters Inside Me we will fly a fetus in fetu and the common eyelash mite.

Last edited:
Wow...now that's putting the "odd" in oddrocs. I *think* it would fly straight. If I were RSO I'd be tempted to say yes so long as you don't mind putting on the pads waaaaaaayyyyyy over there for your first flight - maybe where the K motors go LOL. My biggest concern would be how that tail constructed. If anything is going to fail I would have to imagine that would be it.

Have you tried a smaller version just to see what it'll do before spending a bunch of $$$ on those E motors? Might be worth your time. ;)

220px-Scoleciphobia_gummi_worms.jpg

Child displaying Scoleciphobia (fear of worms, especially parasitic ones) from a Wikipedia photo. I thought it might foreshadow the response to this rocket at the club. GO LEAFS!

Last edited:
Wow...now that's putting the "odd" in oddrocs. I *think* it would fly straight. If I were RSO I'd be tempted to say yes so long as you don't mind putting on the pads waaaaaaayyyyyy over there for your first flight - maybe where the K motors go LOL. My biggest concern would be how that tail constructed. If anything is going to fail I would have to imagine that would be it.

Have you tried a smaller version just to see what it'll do before spending a bunch of $$$ on those E motors? Might be worth your time. ;)

I am very accustomed to the back row and this one will be the same. The tail is mounted with a large and sturdy tri-fold mount with nylon shroud line cord. This whole rocket would be under $20 to construct new and I just used scrap parts. $12+ bucks for E motors at Hobby Lobby is a premium, but hopefully they will have enough kick and a long enough burn to please the big boys.

Just had a terrible flashback to a class that was taught in the parasitology lab. Literally 1000s of parasites in jars lining the walls, floor to ceiling. Been trying to brain bleach those memories for 15 yrs...thanks for bringing back the scars.

For your next biologic rocket may I suggest a Bacteriophage. Kind of looks like a lander anyway.

Over the years I've done a number of "streamer stabilized" rockets: an octopus, a carrot, and even an Estes Port-a-pad.

The bit of advice I can give you is to only fly this on calm days. It has nothing to do with stability, rather, problems caused by the the breeze moving the streamer(s) while it is on the pad. I would put the rocket on the pad, lay the streamers flat on the ground away from the pad so that it does not get snarled on the pad, nor cross the path of the motor exhaust. On breezy days, the streamers would get blown around and increase the chances of getting snarled or burnt.

Now, in my case, I was using traditional rear-engine designs, and so my streamers were attached to spars that kept them away from the motor. You won't have that issue. However, your chances of getting snarled are likely greater than they were for my designs

Just when you thought you'd seen it all......that is one fugly rocket. For the record, some rockets fly well with motor(s) up top. With enough drag, it works well. My Fiddle Faddles are like that and let's not forget rocket gliders. Good luck on the maiden flight. Might even scare the rocket gods away.

Just had a terrible flashback to a class that was taught in the parasitology lab. Literally 1000s of parasites in jars lining the walls, floor to ceiling. Been trying to brain bleach those memories for 15 yrs...thanks for bringing back the scars.

For your next biologic rocket may I suggest a Bacteriophage. Kind of looks like a lander anyway.

Those are really cool and would make a great subject for a model rocket!

Just when you thought you'd seen it all......that is one fugly rocket. For the record, some rockets fly well with motor(s) up top. With enough drag, it works well. My Fiddle Faddles are like that and let's not forget rocket gliders. Good luck on the maiden flight. Might even scare the rocket gods away.

Thanks. I was going for FUGLY. The Chinese knew what they were doing when they put the motors up front on the first rockets. Like the Porsche 911 the motors are in the wrong place but it works. Maybe the rocket Gods will place bets on its success and be looking in on the launch from their lofty perch.

Over the years I've done a number of "streamer stabilized" rockets: an octopus, a carrot, and even an Estes Port-a-pad.

The bit of advice I can give you is to only fly this on calm days. It has nothing to do with stability, rather, problems caused by the the breeze moving the streamer(s) while it is on the pad. I would put the rocket on the pad, lay the streamers flat on the ground away from the pad so that it does not get snarled on the pad, nor cross the path of the motor exhaust. On breezy days, the streamers would get blown around and increase the chances of getting snarled or burnt.

Now, in my case, I was using traditional rear-engine designs, and so my streamers were attached to spars that kept them away from the motor. You won't have that issue. However, your chances of getting snarled are likely greater than they were for my designs

Thanks. Initially I was going to accordion the proglottids up on the blast plate but the tail turned out a bit stiff, so I am glad to hear laying it out will work too. Just have to make sure the clip whip will not catch and use the six foot 1/4" rod in calm conditions. I will also not use a blast plate with the top canted motors so the bottom of the pad will be as clean as possible.

You should vote for #4 in the poll - you can vote for more than one since it is a multiple choice poll. Dissceting a tapeworm and fetal pig were the highlights of the Zoology class, but did scar a great many sensitive students.

I like it! Reminds me of the middle school musical this year. There was a singing tapeworm.. Yeah, Mr. Squirmy...

In regards to a launch, I want to see it! But from a safe distance- like the away pad as suggested.

I like it! Reminds me of the middle school musical this year. There was a singing tapeworm.. Yeah, Mr. Squirmy...

In regards to a launch, I want to see it! But from a safe distance- like the away pad as suggested.

I will be like Shrek when I get a pad assignment. You are going to FAR FAR AWAY!

I hope you have mad painting skills, cuz this one has potential! I see greens and blacks, with a little yellow and white, and maybe a dash of purple. Let's just hope that all 3 motors ignite simultaneously... good luck with that!!!!!!!! Since motors are so far forward, the slightest delay will kill this thing, and that would be a shame. Fun though.

For TAKE OFF, I suggest coiling the streamer in a bowl and setting the bowl next to the pad to avoid snagging. That should work fine.

Do the people around you realize that you are off your meds?

Seriously!!!

I hope it works great. If not, I did the clinical trials for Ivermectin back in the 80s. I may still have some around if you need a cure.

I hope you have mad painting skills, cuz this one has potential! I see greens and blacks, with a little yellow and white, and maybe a dash of purple. Let's just hope that all 3 motors ignite simultaneously... good luck with that!!!!!!!! Since motors are so far forward, the slightest delay will kill this thing, and that would be a shame. Fun though.

For TAKE OFF, I suggest coiling the streamer in a bowl and setting the bowl next to the pad to avoid snagging. That should work fine.

Great idea on the bowl or even a guide - like a slide - for the strobia. This one is going off a six foot rod with a good clip whip on a 12V system so I am confident there is a good chance off all three motors lighting. Any ignition failure and it will just crash. I was thinking of red chalk above the ejection charges to at least give them some purpose and simulate a blood burp, but we will have to see what stomach the crowd has for such unmitigated gore. Initially it will fly in white primer like the nice little devils we dissected in school. Later on I will add more lurid colors as the more sensitive members become accustomed to parasitic worm flying.

I really hope you get video of this one. It has to be one of the most creative builds I have seen. It belongs in the creature feature gallery as well.

Great job.

Great idea on the bowl or even a guide - like a slide - for the strobia. This one is going off a six foot rod with a good clip whip on a 12V system so I am confident there is a good chance off all three motors lighting. Any ignition failure and it will just crash. I was thinking of red chalk above the ejection charges to at least give them some purpose and simulate a blood burp, but we will have to see what stomach the crowd has for such unmitigated gore. Initially it will fly in white primer like the nice little devils we dissected in school. Later on I will add more lurid colors as the more sensitive members become accustomed to parasitic worm flying.

You may consider using some kind of hinged "boom" to hold up the clip whips. I've seen folks use these on large boost gliders when they want the clips to fall away from the tail feathers.

Do the people around you realize that you are off your meds?

Seriously!!!

I hope it works great. If not, I did the clinical trials for Ivermectin back in the 80s. I may still have some around if you need a cure.

Unlike some of the Baby Boomer Old Farts I fly with, and unlike our former President, I can say with absolute truthfulness that I never inhaled. I missed the Boogie Nights of the late Seventies and was way too poor for the Big cocaine parties of the Eighties. But then I found a New Drug. One that won't make me sick, one that won't keep me up all night, or make me feel six foot thick. Yes. oddrocs launched at a mile high give me that Rocky Mountain High. . . and I still say Henry John was just singing about the high altitude.

I really hope you get video of this one. It has to be one of the most creative builds I have seen. It belongs in the creature feature gallery as well.

Great job.

Thanks. Hopefully there will be a youngster there who knows how to video with their I phone. You can move any of my crazy stuff to a suitable gallery. I have just never got around to doing it.

You may consider using some kind of hinged "boom" to hold up the clip whips. I've seen folks use these on large boost gliders when they want the clips to fall away from the tail feathers.

That sounds cool and I would have to develop the skill level to build one. So far I have managed by just taping up the catchy parts of the leads and having the motors blow the clip away.

I think it will work. But I did see it and go: "uuuuuuuggggh..." Creepy parasitic abomination of badness and ick. Mostly ick. I think you'd need fast-thrusting motors, but yes, it'll probably work. But it's still got oodles of ick.

Later!

--Coop

I think it will work. But I did see it and go: "uuuuuuuggggh..." Creepy parasitic abomination of badness and ick. Mostly ick. I think you'd need fast-thrusting motors, but yes, it'll probably work. But it's still got oodles of ick.

Later!

--Coop

The good thing about this one is that it is light, so hopefully 3 E9's will have enough kick and act as nose weight to keep it stable along with the thrust of the canted motors. Could always go with D12 3's if needed.

Last edited:
One more thing I forgot: use the longest launch rod you can find; At least then it will be stable for a portion of the flight.

Back