Modifying Aerotech G-Force for Dual Compartment Dual Deployment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atrobinson

Reaction score
This (should be) a fairly easy conversion.

Materials:
1. Blue Tube 4" avionics bay (or equivalent)

This is my first 4" diameter rocket, and I have to say wider is better. It's nice to be able to reach down into the body tube to do things like attach a quick link to a screw eye. Even my skinny forearm gets stuck at some point, but I have enough working room to apply epoxy precisely, etc.

The stock G Force comes with a 17+" motor tube (the longest 29mm motor casing is a 29/360 which is a bit over 13" long). The stock kit is designed with the engine mount recessed 2" or more. The combination of these two factors leaves almost no room between the front of the motor tube and the aft bulkhead of your eventual avionics bay.

Picture 1 -- Cut 4" +/- off the back of the body tube. NOTE: You should test fit the longest casing you intend to use. I will use a plugged Aerotech 29-360 which will just fit in the tube as I've cut it. Make sure you leave enough room at the font of the tube for your longest casing to fit with the ejection baffle installed! This modification leaves 4-6" at least between the forward centering ring and the aft bulkhead of your avionics bay--big enough more most drogue chutes.

GFDD#1.jpg

Picture 2 -- Position the FIN LOK rings approximately 2 11/16" and 5 5/32" from the rear of the motor tube. These measurements should be verifying by test-fitting the fins BEFORE gluing! I also leave out the cooling mesh. Otherwise, build the motor mount as instructed. I epoxy the screw eye to the ejection baffle. I also attach the forward centering ring to the BACK of the ejection baffle instead of the front. This is personal preference.

GFDD#2.jpg

Latest posts

Back