NAR now allowed at TRA Research launches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimzcatz

Boss, Carolina Rocket Mafia
Reaction score
Just in from Debra Koloms
"NAR members may fly commercial motors at a Tripoli Research Launch as long as the flight is within the fliers certification level and conforms to the NAR safety code."

Is there any reason left why a club wouldn't just do all research launches? Who can go onto the range might be more restrictive, but is that really a bad thing?

That is awesome news. I am a member of both, but attendees will help the bottom line.

Is there any reason left why a club wouldn't just do all research launches? Who can go onto the range might be more restrictive, but is that really a bad thing?

A small field maybe. I think larger distances are required for the smaller research motors. No significant reasons.

I thought you could fly NAR anywhere as long as the safety code, waiver (if applicable), and local/state/federal laws are complied with, so I don't see why a tripoli research launch would fall outside any of those stipulations anyways...

Well that's good news for NAR members. I am a Tripoli only member but I am surprised that this wasn't done long ago.

I thought you could fly NAR anywhere as long as the safety code, waiver (if applicable), and local/state/federal laws are complied with, so I don't see why a tripoli research launch would fall outside any of those stipulations anyways...

Nope, NAR only members could not fly at a TRA Research launch until now. TRA commercial launch yes.

Just in from Debra Koloms
"NAR members may fly commercial motors at a Tripoli Research Launch as long as the flight is within the fliers certification level and conforms to the NAR safety code."

This is good news! Things are looking up. :D

All URRG launches are now EX due to this. So all you NAR members need to join URRG and get out to all our launches and enjoy that great field we have. Maybe after flying with us ex guys you might want to make the leap into this area that we find adds to the fun and keeps our minds going.

I think this was a great move as it will allow more interaction between the two groups and make for a better understanding by all.

Fly em High 24K Like Gold !!!

2013 URRG Schedule

JULY
4th of July, Camping, Building & Flying event. @ camp, build & Fly.
Jul 6 – Jul 7 all-day

AUG
August 3rd & 4th. Club launch and picnic.
Aug 3 – Aug 4 all-day

SEP
September 28th & 29th club launch 2013
Sep 28 – Sep 29 all-day

OCT
October 19th & 20th. club launch 2013
Oct 19 – Oct 20 all-day

NOV
November Black Friday club launch November 19th & 20th. 2013
Nov 29 – Nov 30 all-day

Last edited:
TRA fliers at NAR field- No
If you have dual membership why keep your TRA ?-Membership drop
or NAR membership- Up
NAR TRA commercial on all 2-3 days. Research only 1 day- Still counter productive.

Last edited:
it's ok as long as they charge twice the price to NAR member for the day, as exemple $ 40 for non TRA members and $ 20 for TRA members

Most excellant and welcomed news. Now if only we could get some rain to cancel the drought and Fire Bans.

TRA fliers at NAR field- No
If you have dual membership why keep your TRA ?-Membership drop
or NAR membership- Up
NAR TRA commercial on all 2-3 days. Research only 1 day- Still counter productive.
As far back as I remember, since I got back into the hobby in 1999, TRA folks have always been able to fly at NAR launches to the level of their certification without having to join NAR. NAR folks could fly at TRA commercial launches, but not at TRA research launches , without joining TRA. If a NAR member did not have dual membership, they rarely joined TRA to fly commercial at a TRA research launch. That's basically how Indy clubs sprung up. There was little motivation for a small TRA club heavily into research not to go Indy and get a lot more flyers going to their launches. More flyers, more revenue, better launch equipment and more financial stability. TRA was the looser, and now that it has been taken care of, IMO there is little motivation to form an Indy club since the advantage of TRA insurance is large. I think it's a winner for both TRA and the small local club heavily into research.

This is very good news! But!! Even when the documents are fully understood it will still be up to the TRA club if NAR members will be allowed to fly. It was my understanding(thru this forum) that NAR members were insured at TRA Research Safety Code Launches, so long as they flew commercial only. Correct me if I'm wrong. Some clubs excluded NAR flyers-PERIOD at Research Launches.

This is very good news! But!! Even when the documents are fully understood it will still be up to the TRA club if NAR members will be allowed to fly. It was my understanding(thru this forum) that NAR members were insured at TRA Research Safety Code Launches, so long as they flew commercial only. Correct me if I'm wrong. Some clubs excluded NAR flyers-PERIOD at Research Launches.

Tony, in the past a flier who was a NAR member only was prohibited to fly at a TRA Research launch. This was due to NAR rules not TRA. All that has now changed.

Whooo-hooo!!!!! Thanks TRA. This opens opportunity to fly. Granted the TRA club is 3 hours each way, but often times I can't make the Saturday commercial launches, but I can make the Sunday EX dates.... I am sure others will have similar opportunities.

Tony, in the past a flier who was a NAR member only was prohibited to fly at a TRA Research launch. This was due to NAR rules not TRA. All that has now changed.

Actually....you're wrong. Several years ago, NAR clarified that their policy was that as long as you followed the NAR Safety Code, you were covered. It was indeed Tripoli that said no.

-Kevin

Back