How to secure an AT-2B transmiter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Area66

Reaction score
I'm looking for different option to secure my receivers ......

[Think you meant transmitter?]

One wrap of tape around battery and transmitter before placing lid on.

Most often taped to apogee shock cord with several layers of electrical tape, just below the av-bay/payload [2-3 ft]. DO NOT EVER USE MASKING TAPE... it will tear off!

By doing the above, there is an added benefit: Upon ejection charge firing at apogee, your signal will jump when tracker comes out of airframe.....signaling to ground you have had a successful event!

When flying around water I have placed tracker into modified nose cone that's foamed & floats on surface like a fishing bobber. Thus ensuring I get a signal, twice I have landed in water and this has helped me locate a rocket that was sunk to bottom. [fiberglass]

Last edited:
Either use electrical tape to attach to the apogee shock cord, or if there is extra room in your AV bay, tape it to one of the allthreads.

will like to know too

I usually tuck it next to the parachute, so it slides out with the 'chute. NEVER tape the antenna to anything, or ever wrap anything around the antenna. EVER! The antenna WILL rip off if you do. I prefer the unit to be solid mounted in a NC or AV bay, buts sometimes that is just not possible. Another option I like is a small Nomex bag, that the unit drops into, and the antenna hangs out. That is also sometimes not possible.

Here are some pictures.

This is how the entire recovery system looks, having just come out of the rocket.
DSCN1303.JPG

This is how it looks, fully deployed. Notice the placement of the unit, right above the Nomex for heat protection, but above the swinging nose cone, to prevent the unit from being hit.
DSCN1310.JPG

Thanks for the pics, now that's good if no bay, if I place the AT-2B with the antenna inside a payload bay, do I lost signal ? ( of course no carbon fiber here )

Here are some pictures.

This is how the entire recovery system looks, having just come out of the rocket.
View attachment 136080

This is how it looks, fully deployed. Notice the placement of the unit, right above the Nomex for heat protection, but above the swinging nose cone, to prevent the unit from being hit.
View attachment 136081

Do you REALLY need an arrow on the nose cone?

Thanks for images... so loaded loose, the antenna sustains no damage from packing or deploying?

Will the AT-2B perform if mounted in a plastic nosecone? I assume that taping the antenna can damage the antenna or block the signal, so safely mounting the unit in a cone would be like encasing Kryptonite in a lead box... bad analogy, sorry.

Will the AT-2B perform if mounted in a plastic nosecone? I assume that taping the antenna can damage the antenna or block the signal, so safely mounting the unit in a cone would be like encasing Kryptonite in a lead box... bad analogy, sorry.

Absolutely it can be mounted in a plastic NC. Taping the antenna causes a risk of it pulling off of the unit, making it pointless (and ruining the transmitter). Mounting it in a NC made of anything but Carbon Fiber is fine (CF is not RF transparent)

Absolutely it can be mounted in a plastic NC. Taping the antenna causes a risk of it pulling off of the unit, making it pointless (and ruining the transmitter). Mounting it in a NC made of anything but Carbon Fiber is fine (CF is not RF transparent)

Thanks, that is good news.

Back