My New Knife

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love a good Knife thread. I used to make them.

G10CamoScales031.jpgMulticamKnife013.jpgKNIFEFORTRAV001.jpgNeckKnife2012002.jpgSmallGameDressingKnife001.jpg

And I also customize them to meet my needs, like with this Western Brand Bowie:
Before:
WESTERNBOWIERESTORATION003.jpg

After:
kkkkkkkkkkkkjhjj002.jpg

Your Volli looks nice how is it holding up?
The Volli looks, works and feels like it is new. It is absolutely fantastic. It is the only knife that I carry. I am completely satisfied with this knife. It is well built and retains and edge very well. To me, it is the best possible EDC knife.

TopRamen, those are some COOL knives!

A couple of knives I've made:

A Christmas gift for my younger brother a few years ago -
knife2.JPG
a folder with violet rosewood scales.

And this year's Christmas present for my younger sister -
knife1.jpg
a paring knife in Damascus steel with Amboyna burl scales.

Last edited:
Wow is this a seriously cool thread...
I've been carrying a knife my whole life...
When I was a kid if I forgot my pocket knife and my father found out oy did I get a shot...lol...
I have a few Kershaws but the last was all Benchmade...
They are truly hard to beat....
The Axis lock design is just the greatest idea since sliced bread....

I really wanted a Doug Ritter Griptillian and never bought one...
I can't believe the OP has one and moved away from it....

I'd like to see some pics of that for sure...

Teddy

I finally got the K-Bar I always wanted this past summer. Added to my Buck knife and assorted throwing knives.
Always carry the standard Swiss Army Knife, looking for a good Leatherman

You know, in the UK knives are a touchy subject. It is pretty much VERY illegal to carry any type of knife. You COULD get away with a less than 3inch non-locable blade but you have to prove that you have a good reason to have it on you, ie electrician or builder.

When I was in the States a few months ago I wanted a knife to take with me on the road for 2 months, but I also wanted to take it back with me, therefore I could only get a less than 3 inch non-lockable 'UK LEGAL' knife from a gun store in LA. The guys found it hilarious! Must've got the smallest knife in the whole shop!

View attachment 135953

There is no shame in a small knife. Big knifes are a problem when you need to do anything but cut a big rope. I have reduced several elk to packable loads with 3" or less knifes.

Gave the CRKT Kasper to my nephew, an officer in the Army who travels in dangerous circles, who can put it to better use.

Bought a new EDC for myself. It's a Milwaukee assisted opening folder.

knife.jpg

I removed the clip so I wouldn't be tempted to attach it to my pants pocket. A nice serviceable tool that I wouldn't be terribly upset if I lost. Paid only $19.95 for it on sale at Home Depot and can always buy another. Didn't figure I'd get in any trouble even in California for carrying a Milwaukee knife around in my pocket.

The only time I don't have a knife in my pocket is where it is expressly prohibited. Aircraft, court etc. For me, the U.K. didn't count. I took my chances.
My main knife is a Spyderco Endura combo edge. Sometimes, I carry something as small as the Spyderco Cricket. I like that a lot.
I also have "dress knives" like one with a ceramic blade and carbon fiber scales.
My most recent knife purchase was a Spartan George V-14. It's a collector knife for me.

I've collected knives for a long long time. I don't have many now, but I have a few.

In the process of cleaning out my house, I came across a blank I made from 1095. I never got around to shaping or grinding it because my grinder broke.
I was bored yesterday, so I used a regular bench grinder, a bowl of cold water and a lot of patience to contour the angles. A little work with the rotary tool and some files, and it was ready for heat treating. I did that, then tempered it in a toaster oven.
The stock I started with was from Jantz Knifemaking Supply, and is 3/16 thick, so it's a beefy little thing that will last forever.
I've got to go rummage around in my shed and see if I can find a scrap of Kydex to make some kind of sheath out of
I have'nt made a knife in a couple of years, and this one came out pretty sweet.
Eventually I'll make some Micarta scales for it, but for something that came out of my scrap box, the 550 cord will be functional for now.

New Pocket Knife 2015-06-26 005 by Dave Holmes, on Flickr

Doh!

When I fired up the computer and looked at this thread this morning, I only saw two posts... my computer must be running slow. I thought we had covered this topic in the past, but didn't check the date stamp... thus, I posted again.

nuts!

I hate this heat... can't sleep.

Been carring the same small Swiss Army 2blade pocket knife for almost 30years. If it doesn't shave hair it isn't shape!
When I was a Scout I carried the 4 blade standard BSA Pocket knife which I still have and use on camping trips and such. Over the decades family memebers have given me many other folding Knifes.. I do Really like my Buck carried hunting which also shaves hair and skins game with ease.

Been carring the same small Swiss Army 2blade pocket knife for almost 30years. If it doesn't shave hair it isn't shape!
When I was a Scout I carried the 4 blade standard BSA Pocket knife which I still have and use on camping trips and such. Over the decades family memebers have given me many other folding Knifes.. I do Really like my Buck carried hunting which also shaves hair and skins game with ease.

I have hundreds of knives costing god knows what.

I always come back to a Buck 110 folding hunter or a Swiss army 4 blade, paired with an axe, machete or bow saw. Though, those new swiss lockbacks are nice too.

Keep your unobtanium and fancy steels.... If it worked for our fathers and grandfathers....it's good enough to tame the planet.

My EDC is a Kershaw Chill. It's slim and light, easy to sharpen and holds an edge well. I am surprised to see how many folks carry Kershaw. I used to carry a Colt AR- 15 (a nice tanto blade that was a gift from my dad that he had engraved) but after nearly losing 3 times and misplacing it twice I quit carrying it. My favorite knife is a Helle Kvernstein aka millstone knife. Triple laminated steel blade with a handle of curly birch, reindeer antler and piece of a millstone, razer sharp outta the box and a work of art.
Benchmade makes great knives and S30V is supposed to be some great stuff. It's one of the original super steels if im not mistaken.

Kershaw chill
516inROj-zL._SY355_.jpg

My Helle (well a stock photo)
HE89G.jpg

My latest project. It's Damascus in a Japanese Santoku design. Blade length is 4-3/4", with an overall length of 9-5/16". Used the last of my Amboyna burl for the scales.

01 complete.jpg

My latest project. It's Damascus in a Japanese Santoku design. Blade length is 4-3/4", with an overall length of 9-5/16". Used the last of my Amboyna burl for the scales.

Very nice! I'll bet that every time you handle that you want to go slice some tomatoes.
At least, that's how Santokus always make me feel. I don't own one, (Yet), but I have bought a couple of nice ones for my Mom since she loves to cook.

Very nice! I'll bet that every time you handle that you want to go slice some tomatoes.
At least, that's how Santokus always make me feel. I don't own one, (Yet), but I have bought a couple of nice ones for my Mom since she loves to cook.

Actually, it's for an auction at the family reunion in a month. For my own use, I've got a nice stainless chef's knife in a more traditional design. It was made by some Japanese designer, and was somewhat expensive, but a quality knife will last the life of the owner. I prefer stainless to high carbon steel for the ease of maintenance. I've got several high carbon blades that will hold a shaving-sharp edge, but have to be cleaned and oiled every time you cut a tomato or lemon. The stainless blades can be sharpened *almost* as fine, but I can chop anything, and with a quick wipedown and hone, they're good to go again.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1435493803.354565.jpg
I'm a bit old school, plain old three blade penknife, a Sheffield I bought at Home Depot 15 years ago. In my pocket every day except at the airport. Use it nearly every day for something and super handy on the launch field of course.

I'm a bit old school, plain old three blade penknife, a Sheffield I bought at Home Depot 15 years ago. In my pocket every day except at the airport. Use it nearly every day for something and super handy on the launch field of course.

I've had several similar to that; mostly Schrade/Old Timer/ Uncle Henry brand. I did a lot of whittling and carving with mine. I kept it shaving sharp (called "scarey sharp" now). I've got a lot of scars, too, from those knives.

I've had several similar to that; mostly Schrade/Old Timer/ Uncle Henry brand. I did a lot of whittling and carving with mine. I kept it shaving sharp (called "scarey sharp" now). I've got a lot of scars, too, from those knives.

Mine could use a sharpening (along with quite a few other blades around the house and shop), good opportunity to pick up some proper sharpening gear.

My EDC is a Milwaukee assisted opener. I paid $25 for it at Home Depot on a sale. Removed the clip seeing as you don't want to invite trouble. I'd have no problem losing it, think "throwaway", as it can easily be replaced.

faa33084-a95d-4da5-9fb0-ac3424ffe4aa_400.jpg

Mine could use a sharpening (along with quite a few other blades around the house and shop), good opportunity to pick up some proper sharpening gear.

I highly recommend a Lansky sharpener. I've got one with 5 stones, from 70 to 1000 grit. I can put a mirror finish on an edge. I have ceramic stones. They also sell diamond "stones" as well as stones for sharpening serrated blades.

https://lansky.com/index.php/products/dlx-5-stone-system/

Gave the CRKT Kasper to my nephew, an officer in the Army who travels in dangerous circles, who can put it to better use.

Bought a new EDC for myself. It's a Milwaukee assisted opening folder.

knife.jpg

I removed the clip so I wouldn't be tempted to attach it to my pants pocket. A nice serviceable tool that I wouldn't be terribly upset if I lost. Paid only $19.95 for it on sale at Home Depot and can always buy another. Didn't figure I'd get in any trouble even in California for carrying a Milwaukee knife around in my pocket.

:D:D What K'Tesh did.

Just curious; what do you all use these knives for? I have nothing at all against carrying them but am curious as to what you actually use them for. Cutting open boxes?

Just curious; what do you all use these knives for? I have nothing at all against carrying them but am curious as to what you actually use them for. Cutting open boxes?

If you don't have one when you need it, then your unprepared. I use my knives for all kinds of things, usually I carry a Kershaw spring assist for my general cutting/carry duties, used properly you can also use the thicker portions of the blade as a light prying tool (think removing mason jar seals not prying nails). Cutting tape, boxes, rocket field repairs, shock cords, emergency removal of seatbelts in life threatening situations/breaking windows in cars for the same reason. Making firestarter fuzz sticks (Boy Scouts know what I'm talking about), a knife is a very versatile tool when used properly and kept sharp.

I carry one in part because my Grandfather always said a real man always had a knife and knew how to use and care for it. These days to many people just think of them as weapons, and forget that a knife has so many other uses.
My other knives are a Leatherman (half serrated blade with regular and phillips screwdrivers), a small silver CRKT Pikes Peak, CRKT Kit Carson M16-01z (both smooth edged and one thats half serrated). A couple of Schrades, my Granfathers Old Timer, my Grandmothers small Schrade 3 blade pen knife, my Great-Grandfathers horn handled knife (Solingen,Germany, no manufacturer), Great Grandpa's Boker straight razor, Gerber Mk2 from my days in the US Army since M-60 gunners had to buy their own combat knives (they wouldn't issue us Bayonets, thank goodness, the officers might actually expect us to mount bayonets on the 60's and go hand to hand), a Kershaw changeable blade game cleaning knife (3 blades), 4 different fillting knives, and a couple of custom horn handled cable Damascus bladed knives. Its not all that I have but probably the ones most important to me, the only time I carry a non-folding blade is when hunting. Somewhere I have an 18" US Army machete (looks like a big Bowie knife), probably in the camping gear, I always take that one hiking as its a really useful survival tool along with my belt sheathed hatchet.

Lets not even start on Multi-tools which do a multitude of things and most of them not very well, however they are great when you can't carry the tool box with you.

Last edited:
When I was a kid if my father caught me without
my pocket knife with me boy did I get a smack in the back of the head.....lol.....

Teddy

Back