My New Knife

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D:D What K'Tesh did.
K' is a young'un whereas I'm geezer with failing memory. :)

That being said, this.... arrived on my doorstep this morning courtesy of Amazon.

It's a Kershaw Camp 10. Seems very well made and gets excellent reviews. The sheath can be modified for either right or left handers, and belt or dropped belt carry.

Non-Amazon shoppers can find these at Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc. for about $55.
spd_20131107224224_b.jpg

I have a nephew who is into collecting knives. Take the most ardent collector of vintage kits and multiply by a factor of ten!

Got this Buck Spitfire last week for my new EDC. Quite happy with it.

0722GYS1-B.jpg

Last edited:
I have gone through a sort of rebirth with the knife thing. When I was a wee pup, I bought my first Swiss Army knife. After many years and many knifes later I am back to the SAK because they work very well and fly under the radar. Functional, unassuming and cheap what more could a guy want? My new Alox Bantam should be delivered today as a matter of fact.

K' is a young'un whereas I'm geezer with failing memory. :)

That being said, this.... arrived on my doorstep this morning courtesy of Amazon.

It's a Kershaw Camp 10. Seems very well made and gets excellent reviews. The sheath can be modified for either right or left handers, and belt or dropped belt carry.

Non-Amazon shoppers can find these at Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc. for about $55.

Now that is a sexy blade!

Isn't that a shank? Not a skank, but a shank.

I don't carry a knife because it hinders my running.

In the process of cleaning out my house, I came across a blank I made from 1095. I never got around to shaping or grinding it because my grinder broke.
I was bored yesterday, so I used a regular bench grinder, a bowl of cold water and a lot of patience to contour the angles. A little work with the rotary tool and some files, and it was ready for heat treating. I did that, then tempered it in a toaster oven.
The stock I started with was from Jantz Knifemaking Supply, and is 3/16 thick, so it's a beefy little thing that will last forever.
I've got to go rummage around in my shed and see if I can find a scrap of Kydex to make some kind of sheath out of
I have'nt made a knife in a couple of years, and this one came out pretty sweet.
Eventually I'll make some Micarta scales for it, but for something that came out of my scrap box, the 550 cord will be functional for now.

New Pocket Knife 2015-06-26 005 by Dave Holmes, on Flickr

I've carried an Old Timer by Schrade LB5 in leather belt case for over 30 years.
New ones come with a nylon sheath. I don't care for those at all.
Have quite a few collectables, and few hundred to sell since I'm a knife dealer.
I'll post pics...someday, when I get ambitious.

I also have a collection of Scottish claymores and sgian dubhs. Customary Scottish attire features a dagger worn in the hose (sock) and it's called a "black knife" or sgian dubh in Gaelic.

On the Native American side, I also have a number of tomahawks which I'm told were named by my tribe. Tomahawk means "cutting tool" in our tongue.

I have two straight razors that came from a Victorian flat where I lived in San Francisco in the 1970's. They date back to the late 1800's and still have the original pasteboard boxes. The original owner lived in the flat and left much behind when she sold the building and moved away. Never was able to locate her...much of it was jewelry, both hers and late husband's.

Been doing some garage sales and if I see a knife that catches my eye I'll buy it. Here are some I've ran across. Some NRA a Gurber, two stainless A.G. Russell's and a unknown Brazilian made with 007 on it? These are all folding lock blade.

IMG_20150630_073452_784.jpg

Last edited:
Removed the clip seeing as you don't want to invite trouble.

I don't know much about knives, but I do EDC an assisted-opener with a belt clip. I wondered what you meant about removing the clip - do you just mean that you don't want the clip to show on the outside of your pocket? Or is there another reason not to clip a knife to your pocket?

I don't know much about knives, but I do EDC an assisted-opener with a belt clip. I wondered what you meant about removing the clip - do you just mean that you don't want the clip to show on the outside of your pocket? Or is there another reason not to clip a knife to your pocket?

I wondered that too. Here in Vt. we don't have any laws against carrying anything, but I know that just across the border in Massholechussettes you can get arrested for carrying certain kinds of knives. Scarey stuff!!!
I sometimes have nightmares that I'm in Mass. with my Glock and I have to ditch it in the ocean or something to avoid life in prison.

Just curious; what do you all use these knives for? I have nothing at all against carrying them but am curious as to what you actually use them for. Cutting open boxes?

Showing my Klingon Heritage.

Just curious; what do you all use these knives for? I have nothing at all against carrying them but am curious as to what you actually use them for. Cutting open boxes?

Cutting twine, cleaning the dirt from under my nails, making fuzz sticks for starting fires, batoning pieces of wood into smaller pieces of wood for kindling for fires, opening boxes, sharpening sticks for making skewers for cooking over said fires, general purpose camping chores.
Heaven forbid I ever have a malfunction with my pistol and have to use a knife as a defensive weapon, but most of the ones I carry would serve that purpose too if need be.

I think it's an old Norwegian saying: "A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

I took the clip off of my knives because it hangs on things and I have nearly lost over the side of a boat when I hit it with my trolling motor and popped my knife outta my pocket.

I carry a fixed blade when I am in the field hunting, fishing or whatever. Easier access

Mike

My favorite is a nice folding pocket knife I picked up in Albacete, Spain while I was on a TDY (biz trip for non military folks) while with NATO. stays sharp and is heirloom worthy. When I get home from Vegas later this week I will take a pic of it.

Mike

Here's one of my favorite ones. I made it from a hacksaw blade.
It's critical when making/shaping a knife from a hacksaw blade that you go slow and don't let the steel get hot so that you don't ruin the hardness/temper.
I took the gut strings out of a piece of 550 cord and used the sleeve to make a katana style handle for it.
It's been riding in my wallet with me since 07' when I made it, so seeing as how it can go through security checkpoints/metal dtectors with me, it is literally my most carried blade. The tiny sawback section is still every bit as sharp as it needs to be to cut steel, but it would be quite tedious to actually have to use it for that. A few stokes on the diamond steels get it near scalpel sharp and the edge holds forever, through many pieces of fruit or fingernail cleanings. It is also picky enough to be great at removing splinters, though I also carry sewing needles in my wallet.

Microblade 2015-07-12 003 by Dave Holmes, on Flickr

Microblade 2015-07-12 004 by Dave Holmes, on Flickr

Here's one of my favorite ones. I made it from a hacksaw blade.

That's pretty sweet. I put the word out a couple of years ago to various machinist friends to save broken saw blades for me. Haven't heard from them in a while; maybe I need to pay them a visit. Yours looks like it might be worth buying some Harbor Freight blades to play with. Did you anneal the blade before you shaped it?

Here's a knife I finished for a friend. His father had started it many years ago, from a worn out file. Scales (handle) are bocote, and match some 1911 grips I made for him.

rknife.jpg

I did'nt anneal it, that's why I mentioned not letting it get hot while shaping it. I did'nt think it would make sense to have to go through annealing just to shape such a small thing, and then I'de have to heat treat and temper it, and I just did'nt know how that would work on such a thin tiny piece of metal.
At least I ended up with the piece being as good at holding an edge as a hack saw blade is supposed to be, and I did'nt have to risk screwing up what was already a well treated metal. When I make one from a file or chainsaw bar I have to anneal it, and that takes about a day since I don't have a proper kiln and have to make do with a good old fashioned bellowed fire and slow cool.
When I get steel from the knife making supply places like Jantz it is pre-annealed.
Hack saw blades are dirt cheap, so I figure it would be worth while to go grab a few more and make a couple more.
I'll try doing the annealing, shape, heat treat and temper on the next one to see what happens.

Here's my EDC, and a few others.

I also got another Victorinox Ranger in the mail today.

Hey buddy! I (ah-hum) really like that Celtic Dagger!
I currently have my eye on a Knights Templer style tagger and sword.
Unfortunately, I haven't heard from the Judge on my SSDI hearing yet.
But you could cross your fingers and toes for me so he rules in favor of me, if it's not too much to ask?
BTW, when do you expect to return stateside?

I carried a mini Swiss Army knife almost every day until I forgot to take it out of my pocket on a trip and the FAA took it. They would have let me get out of line, take it back to my car, and wait another hour or two to go through security again, but I opted to just let them have it. Sadly, our flight was delayed and we ended up sitting and waiting for about four hours anyway.

When I was in the Army I carried a Wal-mart leatherman knockoff for the pliers and screwdriver and a good Gerber for cutting.

I usually carry either a Leatherman multi tool or one of my Gerber folders.

Back