New build, 5 Finger Death Punch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the smaller bulkhead I had made over the threaded rod, to keep it centered while the resin sets. I also got the 38mm adapter epoxied together.

136_nose_weight.jpg

138_adapter.jpg

140_adapter.jpg

141_adapter.jpg

143_adapter.jpg

Using the finwrap I printed from Open Rocket, I marked the positions of the fins and rail buttons. Using a length of 1-1/2" aluminum angle, I drew the lines. Then setting the motor mount next to the body tube, I marked the position of the forward rail button block on the outside.

146_finwrap.jpg

147_fin_lines.jpg

148_rail_button.jpg

149_rail_button.jpg

I used 30 minute epoxy for the motor mount, for the extra strength and setting time. Apparently there was a leak from the resin somewhere, but it will peel right off. I've never had this happen before, one of the holes didn't get filled with resin. No biggie, I'll just fill it with 5 minute epoxy.

152_motor_mount.jpg

154_tip.jpg

155_tip.jpg

156_tip.jpg

I decided to cut the fin tabs slightly smaller, so I trimmed 1/2" off both ends. As usual, I did a quick initial sanding with the stationary belt sander. And I got the fin slots cut. Anybody want to buy five never used fin slots?

157_tabs.jpg

158_tabs.jpg

159_sanded.jpg

160_slots.jpg

161_slots.jpg

Using what has become indispensable for me, my trusty homemade fin alignment jig, I got the rest of the fins epoxied on. And just to prove how fallible I really am, I cut one of the fin slots wrong, so the one fin is too high. But since I already had epoxy on it, I decided to leave it. I definitely won't be able to see it on the pad.

163_fins.jpg

164_fins.jpg

165_fins.jpg

166_fins.jpg

168_fins.jpg

My first five finned rocket. I like it! It looks rather star like from the rear.

169_fins.jpg

170_fins.jpg

171_fins.jpg

172_fins.jpg

173_fins.jpg

It looks like I got good contact with the fin tabs to the motor tube. I think I'll forgo internal fillets this time. If I'm going to break a fin, I'd rather it break cleanly. When I broke a fin on my Ion Disruptor, it was a challenge to get the broken fin out because of the epoxy fillet on the tab. The extra width of the fillet wouldn't allow the fin tab to pull through the slot in the body tube.

174_internal.jpg

175_internal.jpg

176_internal.jpg

177_internal.jpg

Got the ends of the bamboo skewers sanded flush with the Dremel. I also filled the hole with 5 minute epoxy.

180_tip.jpg

181_tip.jpg

182_tip.jpg

183_tip.jpg

185_tip.jpg

As usual, I used Loctite molding glue for the external fillets.

187_fillets.jpg

188_fillets.jpg

189_fillets.jpg

Now I can't decide on the paint scheme. The body has to be black, because of the decals. But what color do I paint the fins and nose cone? My initial thought was black and blue, to go along with the "punch" theme. But now I'm not so sure.

black_blue.jpg

black_od.jpg

black_orange.jpg

black_purple.jpg

black_yellow.jpg

And should I paint just the fins, or the whole fin can? I'm terrible with decisions.

black_blue2.jpg

black_od2.jpg

black_orange2.jpg

black_purple2.jpg

black_yellow2.jpg

But which color do you prefer?

That's a tough question!!!

You can pick up one of the colours from the decal - perhaps red - and go with that. It also implies blood!

There's also blue - you've used that in a lot of the pics you've put up during the build - it looks good and you have already shown an attraction to it and like you say it ties in with the punch theme.

See, I can give you an answer without answering your question ;)

Krusty

And should I paint just the fins, or the whole fin can? I'm terrible with decisions.

Jim,Another outstanding build.As far as the color choice,I like the blue painted fin can as my first choice and then purple as my second.You might even try blue fin can followed by the black decal and purple on top.Alot of color for sure.

So far, the consensus seems to be for the solid color fin can. I'm leaning towards purple, for some reason. Maybe just because I've only ever painted one other rocket purple (and gold). And besides, there can be purple in bruises. I'm not considering black and red, a combination I really like, because Running With Scissors is black and red, and Bluto will be. I still like the black and blue combination. Maybe if I could find a really bright electric blue...

I just had a thought. Metallic purple would be very cool. I wonder how this would look:

https://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/specialty-paints/metal-coat

Last edited:
You can't really tell from these photos, but I put a second layer of fillets on. Later today, I'll start sanding the fins and sealing them.

190_fillets.jpg

191_fillets.jpg

192_fillets.jpg

Back