New build, 5 Finger Death Punch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qquake2k

Captain Low-N-Slow
Reaction score
My rocket building obsession is strong, and I am weak. Therefore, I am starting yet ANOTHER build.

There is a heavy metal band called "5 Finger Death Punch". That name is too good not to use on a rocket. So I designed a simple 5.5" five finned rocket with a 54mm motor mount. Single deploy, motor eject, and not even zipperless. I may put half moon baffles in the motor tube because it's so long, even though I'll still use a blanket. I'm not totally set on the colors yet, but I was thinking black and blue go along with "punch".

View attachment 5FDP.ork

5FDP_empty_stretch_blu_blk_decals.jpg

I'm still waiting for the components, but I started on the fins and centering rings. The fins are 1/4" birch plywood from Michael's. I had some trouble laying out the template on the plywood, but finally got it figured out. I was able to get three fins from one 12" x 24" sheet. As usual, I drilled the blanks and pinned them together so I could cut and sand them all at once. Some of my 1/4" wood dowel pins have come up missing, thanks to my son, and I didn't have another 1/4" dowel. So I used some pieces of 1/4" aluminum rod I had.

01_template.jpg

02_template.jpg

05_pins.jpg

06_pins.jpg

03_template.jpg

I didn't get the blanks lined up just right, so I had to redraw the trailing edge line. No worries. I cut the fins out with my bandsaw, using the rip fence to get the tabs as uniform as possible. I match sanded them with my stationary belt sander.

08_fins.jpg

09_fins.jpg

11_fins.jpg

13_fins.jpg

14_fins.jpg

I don't have a hole saw big enough for 5.5" centering rings, so I used a homemade circle cutting jig on my bandsaw. I cut them to their final size on the lathe. Fortunately, I had a short length of 5.5" tube left over from a previous build. I used that to get the diameter just right.

16_centering_rings.jpg

19_centering_rings.jpg

20_centering_rings.jpg

22_centering_rings.jpg

23_centering_rings.jpg

The center holes were cut with a 2-1/4" hole saw, which is the perfect size for the 54mm motor tube. I epoxied waste blocks onto the rings for the rail buttons and tee-nuts.

24_centering_rings.jpg

25_centering_rings.jpg

26_blocks.jpg

27_blocks.jpg

28_blocks.jpg

I drilled 3/16" holes for the 6-32 tee nuts, and hammered them in place. Then epoxied them so they can't push out, being careful not to get epoxy in the holes.

29_tee_nuts.jpg

30_tee_nuts.jpg

32_tee_nuts.jpg

33_tee_nuts.jpg

35_tee_nuts.jpg

I sanded the rail button blocks flush with the edges using my disc sander. I marked and drilled 9/32" holes for the 1/4" u-bolt. Yes, I'm paranoid. Even though I'll be covering the nuts with epoxy, I still used flat and toothed lock washers.

36_blocks.jpg

37_u-bolt.jpg

38_u-bolt.jpg

39_u-bolt.jpg

40_u-bolt.jpg

And covered the nuts with epoxy. I put some 6-32 screws in the tee-nuts just to make sure I hadn't gotten any epoxy in the threads.

42_u-bolt.jpg

43_u-bolt.jpg

44_u-bolt.jpg

45_screws.jpg

46_screw.jpg

Cool:D I'll be watching!!

Thank you, but this won't be a very exciting build. Just another BDR (Big Dumb Rocket) that I seem to be developing a fondness for.

I love the name.

Yeah, like I said, it's too good a name not to use! I saw a brass knuckle decal on a car with 5FDP on it. I had to have my son look it up on his phone to figure out what it meant.

Please tell me I see 5 fins there!!!

Looking great, as always.

Oh yeah, it has to have five fins!

Incredible Hulk, yes - but just a google search :( unfortunately I haven't seen these in the shops for a long time....

Krusty

I did a quick search, but all I found were Hulk gloves.

I'd like to chime in partly because 5FDP is my absolute favorite band of all time!!!

Where are you getting the decals? I'm working on a 5" Jart (with 98mm motor mount) and I want to call it Menace after the song on the American Capitalist album:
[YOUTUBE]G4FlpNvhwZs[/YOUTUBE]

WARNING: LANGUAGE NSFW

I want to get the words "Five Finger Death Punch", the skull, then on the other side have the word "Menace"

The build looks good so far, I'll be watching this one :D

P.S Can't wait for the new album at the end of July!

The only decal I've seen for sale is the brass knuckle silhouette with 5FDP in the finger holes. I was going to see if I can get these made in vinyl.

Qquake,
How do you keep your bandsaw cutting so straight? My saw is a skill and it does good. if I raise the guard that high it's difficult to cut much ot anything. Also do you set up a vacc of sort to collect dust?

Please obsess over more rockets. I learn a lot from you and your work.

Qquake,
How do you keep your bandsaw cutting so straight? My saw is a skill and it does good. if I raise the guard that high it's difficult to cut much ot anything. Also do you set up a vacc of sort to collect dust?

Please obsess over more rockets. I learn a lot from you and your work.

I think it's the blade. Mine is 14t and 3/8" wide.

LOL nice name. I'm sure Mark can make you any vinyl you want. Just take a look at my Mini Magg!:headbang:

TA

Um....no.

But he does make a 2 stage Jart.

Are you going to try an in-the-nosecone dual deploy system Like Jeff G uses?

You know, I thought about trying the in the nose cone dual deploy with a line cutter on Running With Scissors, and with this one. I still want to someday. In fact, I'd love to put a J135 moon burner in 5FDP. But for right now, I want to keep things simple. I really need to finish X-Plane and Bluto. Both are dual deploy with redundancy. Those two are more than enough for the complex aspect of my rocketry. I'm thinking more and more that I really do prefer big dumb rockets.

Back