New build, 5 Finger Death Punch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No special sauce comes with the reload? Okay.

Long delay only? Okay.

Now about that motor choice. The J250 burns a bit over 3 seconds and produces only 8.2G of acceleration on MY 80 oz 4" tube fin. As a firm believer in the "Motion is Lotion" school of thought I consider 8.2g's a bit slow. I'm not sure how much the 5FDP weighs but got believe it's more than 80 oz.

Didn't you put it up on the I599 for the maiden? That one sims 27g's on MY bird so it's most likely a lot less on the 5FDP.

Try running a sim on the J540R and see if you like that. It's a 2.25 or less burn and a Redline so it peaks at about 650 newtons.

J800t? :)

Maiden flight was on an I229T Blue Thunder. That's why there wasn't much smoke (one of my least favorite propellants). I was concerned it wouldn't be enough in spite of the sims, but it gave the Punch a nice ride after all. I haven't weighed it, but OR says 88 oz (5-1/2 lbs) empty, which seems about right. The sims say 40ft/s off the rod for the I229, and 39ft/s for the J250. As long as there's not much wind, that should be fine. I much prefer a slow, majestic liftoff and long burn. That's more in keeping with my nickname, and it's easier to photograph.

screenshot_0212.jpg

I might fly Death Punch this Saturday on an I600 Redline. Which means I'll need to use a 38mm-54mm adapter. I'll need a retention plate for it, so I whipped one out real quick this afternoon. This is 1/16" x 1-1/2" aluminum. I printed out a template on card stock, and marked the hole locations with a center punch. The center hole is with a 3/4" hole saw, and the small holes are 3/16".

341_retension-plate.jpg

342_retension-plate.jpg

343_retension-plate.jpg

344_retension-plate.jpg

345_retension-plate.jpg

346_retension-plate.jpg

347_retension-plate.jpg

I cut and trimmed it with the bandsaw, then smoothed the cut edges with the 1" belt sander.

348_retension-plate.jpg

349_retension-plate.jpg

350_retension-plate.jpg

351_retension-plate.jpg

352_retension-plate.jpg

353_retension-plate.jpg

I keep the guide high to cut body tubes. I know it's supposed to be closer to the material, but so far, it hasn't caused any problems. The I600 is an old one that I got from Ken at Performance years ago. Don't remember what I got it for.

knock-on-wood1.jpg

It's more of a safety issue but it can allow the blade make "barrel cuts".

+1 on the Knock On Wood graphic.

"It isn't until you try to knock on wood that you realize that the modern world is made of formica and plastic."

A good solid flyer, Captain. I like the after image of the motor retention clips on the bottom of the rocket. Gives it that proper been-flown patina.

Back