Rocket friendly places to launch: Post the locations here!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GDJ

Semi-retired Rocketry guy
Reaction score
Like the title said, if you know where there are any rocket friendly places to shoot off a couple, post the locations here! Help a fellow rocketeer out and keep him on the shiny side of the law.
Don't bother posting where you can't launch. We have plenty of those municipalities that think we are a bunch of nefarious characters that play with dangerous shooty things.

The City of St. Albert so far is all right with rockets, as long as you use the smaller motors (A, B impulse) and use the larger school fields, and fire bans are not in place.

The Town of Devon currently does not have any restrictions on Model Rockets, but similar rules apply (smaller motors, larger fields, no fire bans).

Last edited:
If anyone ever has there rockets in Cranbrook, BC. I got use of a private field thats 50 acres of no trees/power lines......down side is on one side is the city crap ponds, so make sure your rocker dont go that way :wink: good up to g class motors if your brave enough, just shoot me a message if anybody wants to come out. Only the haying month is off limits(around july) :)

Yes. There are several places. central Saanich, Colwood area - Allandale, Cowichan, Nanaimo areas are all rocketry friendly.

At the moment we (Edmonton Rocketry Club) seems to be getting in the City's good books and we had a few club launches at the Telus World Of Science in the West End of the city. All went well and no mishaps. Hopefully we can continue this in the future.

I remember hearing rumour about some kids launching at UBC, where they hold / held outdoor concerts (thunderbird stadium?). While it is outside the 9km from an airport rule, it is close to YVR's approach. Well, one 'foreign' airliner was on landing approach, and saw these streaks coming from the ground. And "naturally" thought he was under attack & radioed the tower to report as such. He made a few 'avoidance' manoeuvers, and landed safely. The police were dispatched and found some kids with model rockets..

This was the mid 90's..

We do very high Gs and have had no problems launching these. Naturally I let emergency response know about my launches we we get onto F and G category. Always scanning the sky for air craft.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I remember hearing rumour about some kids launching at UBC, where they hold / held outdoor concerts (thunderbird stadium?). While it is outside the 9km from an airport rule, it is close to YVR's approach. Well, one 'foreign' airliner was on landing approach, and saw these streaks coming from the ground. And "naturally" thought he was under attack & radioed the tower to report as such. He made a few 'avoidance' manoeuvers, and landed safely. The police were dispatched and found some kids with model rockets..

This was the mid 90's..

Normal kid behaviour. BTW - the police spoke to the teens involved and no charges were laid. I know the case well...

This was the mid 90's..

That would be a good example of a bad launch site.
Do you have any examples of good launch sites you could share?

A spoke with some farm owners in Delta BC - and they agreed to allow some launches if they were presented a plan. Lots of interest and potential. I’ll check with airport authority and see if Airport TC rep might suggest spots. We’ll see.

A spoke with some farm owners in Delta BC - and they agreed to allow some launches if they were presented a plan. Lots of interest and potential. I’ll check with airport authority and see if Airport TC rep might suggest spots. We’ll see.

I hope you are successful. Launch sites in the lower mainland have been difficult to secure. Trees and airports tend to be the problems!
I'm not sure exactly where you mean but the Boundary Bay Airport could be problematic. Also, there is another small one called Delta Heritage Airpark.
Keep us posted. I'm keen to fly anywhere within an hour or two.

A spoke with some farm owners in Delta BC - and they agreed to allow some launches if they were presented a plan. Lots of interest and potential. Ill check with airport authority and see if Airport TC rep might suggest spots. Well see.

Hi, I'm in surrey BC. Is this something I could be "in the loop" with?

Hi, I'm from Pitt Meadows BC. We're looking for a place to launch a model rocket (engine C6-5). I know this thread is a few years old but I'm hoping someone out there will see this and can help! I've reached out to the UBC and SFU rocketry clubs and haven't received a response. If anyone knows of a suitable launch site in the lower mainland, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

Back