GPS Rocket Locator for android (Now released !)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fantasiiio

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just finished developing a rocket locator system for android, after a couple of months of work, and I wanted to know if someone is interested to know how to make one.
I'll explain how it works:

There is a gps module in the rocket with a wireless transmitter that transmits to 1000 meters (APC220, X-bee like module). It transmits the signal to my android phone, via an APC220 to bluetooth converter.
I coded a functional and cool android software that use google maps api to track the rocket.
It's basically google maps api with two gps positions: your position and the rocket position. Here is the main features:
-Current rocket distance to you.
-Rocket altitude
-Enable/disable follow me, for mannualy moving the map
-Can save the path of the rocket in a Google earth compatible (just for fun)
-Always record the last rocket position, in case you close accidentally the application, you can load the last position and continue your quest.
-In case you lost signal, it reconnects automatically when the rocket is back in the range.
-Rocket compass that rotate the map in the rocket direction (instead of north).

I developed all this just because I like to code, and I already lost a beautiful rocket.
I wanted to share this project with someone who is interested to make one because it works very well and I think it's worth a try.

It's now available on Google play store: GPS Rocket Locator, it's the one with a red and yellow rocket.

If you have any questions (You will probably have a lot), send me an email or a pm.

Thanks for your comments, have fun.

Last edited:
Sweet. I want to know if you are comfortable with electronics components and soldering ?

I'm interested in sharing android source code. I'm developing something similar as well.

Kevin

Oh cool, Sure I'll share my sources with you.

Can you talk about your project, what electronics are you using ? Where are you in your project ? Do you have a functional prototype ?

We can talk in private message if you want. But I'm sure your project is interesting for others also.

Yes, same electronics system ! But I'm sure my software is better :)

Thanks for the link.

I'll open my svn server on internet tomorrow and post the link.

Very interested. I can solder as well as I can epoxy ... so, no ... I can't solder.

But I am very interested in this, I am an Android enthusiast. Check out my link below to see my Android rocketry hobby.

That is the project I'm working on with Derek. My code is already on github https://github.com/kruland2607/RocketTrack.git It has borrowed from a number of places but it sounds like yours is further along. Odds are they are completely compatible (parsing nmea strings provided by bluetooth) so they can interoperate. The features you listed are all on my todo list. Perhaps combining efforts we can get to more better stuff.

Some of the crazy ideas I have are:

1) "where is it" - hand held emits geiger counter like beeps or a steady tone. You hold the phone at arms length and point to the sky, the tone changes (beeps faster or tone higher) as you point closer to it.

2) Audio reporting of the rocket current altitude. (This is an AltosDroid feature which I thought was really useful.)

Kevin

Oh.. your rocket fly high enough that you don't see it in the sky ? Sweet !

Yes, my application is compatible with your.

I opened my personal svn server. Here is the address svn://frank.ddns.net/rocket_locator
My software is used when then rocket is on the ground and you want to find it. There is a full screen google map with a line between you and the rocket and the travel path of the rocket.
Does your code have a map ?

Tell me if my svn server works or not.

Cool, another one!

Your software sounds like it is pretty far along. I'd like to try it with my tracker, if you don't mind.

The radio looks nice, and it has a great price, but doesn't 440 mhz require a ham license for use in the US?

Thanks for posting!

I am interested as I am also playing with a GPS module which looks exactelly like yours..
If you want to share it I can provide space on my web site.

Hi, I posted my svn address yesterday but my reply was moderated, probably because of the address itself.

Here is my rocket to test my prototype, it's a Eggscaliber with a D or E engine. I'm not a high power rocket flyer because in Canada we cannot have more than D easily.
IMAG0052.jpg
Here we see the GPS module, the battery (lipo 2s 180mah), the voltage regulator and the antenna.
IMAG0053.jpg

The bottom of the APC220 module
IMAG0054.jpg

Connection to the APC220: ground, vcc and RX
IMAG0056.jpg

My APC220 to bluetooth converter
IMAG0058.jpg

Here we see the second APC220 and a 5v voltage regulator.
IMAG0060.jpg

The bluetooth module and a 2s lipo battery
IMAG0061.jpg

Another view of the APC220 to bluetooth converter
IMAG0062.jpg

For the source code, I opened my personal SVN server: svn://frank.ddns.net/rocket_locator

Note that, for the google map api, I use my own application key so, if you want to reuse the google map code in another application, you have to create your own google application key, even if my own key works.

This application is ready to use, and works fine.

I tried to make screen shots of the application but my phone have to be rooted and it's not.

So, any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Frank.

Yes, my application is compatible with the other one posted here.

For the source code, I opened my personal SVN server:

svn: dash dash frank dot ddns dot net/rocket_locator (replace 'dash' by / and 'dot' by .)

Note that, for the google map api, I use my own application key so, if you want to reuse the google map code in another application, you have to create your own google application key, even if my own key works.

This application is ready to use, and works fine.

I tried to make screen shots of the application but my phone have to be rooted and it's not.

So, any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Frank.

Hi Frank,

I got the code running. Thanks you!

Although it reports the distance to the rocket, it isn't all that interesting without the map key. All I see is a white screen. I guess I need to get a key generated from google.

Does the beep rate increase as you get closer to the rocket?

I'd take a screenshot for you but it won't show much.

Thanks again,
Derek

Here is my rocket to test my prototype, it's a Eggscaliber with a D or E engine. I'm not a high power rocket flyer because in Canada we cannot have more than D easily.

This is not true, in Canada you can fly up to G without certifications; actually it's about the same rules as US. I have 0 as 0 problems to order up to G motor. For a certain time the suppliers have hard time to ship E and F, but it’s fix now, and all that time the G was available without hassle

I found a dealer on internet that can ship up to H. But at my local hobby store they cannot. This is why I wrote 'Not easily'

So it's your local store the problem, not the fact you are in Canada. Internet dealers in Canada ship way larger motor than H. Actually probably the best motors (Cesaroni) are made in Canada, so shiping is not a problem.

Although it reports the distance to the rocket, it isn't all that interesting without the map key. All I see is a white screen. I guess I need to get a key generated from google.

Does the beep rate increase as you get closer to the rocket?

I'd take a screenshot for you but it won't show much.

Thanks again,
Derek

Hmm.. it's supposed to work on all phones. The key is for the application, not for the device. Did you install the google play services package ?

For the beep rate, it beep when it receive data from GPS so, one per second. This is a audio indicator that the communication with the rocket is ok. When you lose the signal, a different sound play, indicating an error. And there is another sound when it connect or reconnect.

So it's your local store the problem, not the fact you are in Canada. Internet dealers in Canada ship way larger motor than H. Actually probably the best motors (Cesaroni) are made in Canada, so shiping is not a problem.

You are right, and I'll buy a bigger rocket :)

Hmm.. it's supposed to work on all phones. The key is for the application, not for the device. Did you install the google play services package ?

For the beep rate, it beep when it receive data from GPS so, one per second. This is a audio indicator that the communication with the rocket is ok. When you lose the signal, a different sound play, indicating an error. And there is another sound when it connect or reconnect.

Ok. I heard the different connection beep.

The map issue turned out to be because I loaded in on a phone with ics. Once I got it loaded on to my nexus 4 with jelly bean, the map worked.

I'll play with it some more tomorrow.

Thanks!

Have done any range testing with the APC220? What is the RF output power of that device?

Have done any range testing with the APC220? What is the RF output power of that device?

it's rated 1000-1200m. I tested it with my rc helicopter trex 600, I went very far and high and I still received signal. I probably not gone more that 200-300m.

The max power output is 20mw. I think it's not a lot of power for that range.

The down side is, the frequency range is for HAM (Amateur radio) but, for that power, I don't think I'll interfere with someone in the big empty field where I fly my rocket.

Ok. I heard the different connection beep.

The map issue turned out to be because I loaded in on a phone with ics. Once I got it loaded on to my nexus 4 with jelly bean, the map worked.

I'll play with it some more tomorrow.

Thanks!

Yes ! It works ! I'm very happy :)

What is ics ?

The down side is, the frequency range is for HAM (Amateur radio) but, for that power, I don't think I'll interfere with someone in the big empty field where I fly my rocket.

that doesn't make it legal.

that doesn't make it legal.

I searched on the net for Canadian Amateur Radio Bands and the reserved frequencies for this band are 430mhz to 450mhz. We can setup the apc220 to 418mhz to 455mhz. If we set it to 418mhz, we are not in the HAM band and no more illegal.

For those who don't want the apc220, there is the xbee pro for $50-60 each unit instead of $35 for 2 units.
There is another HAM band on 902mhz to 920mhz and the xbee pro 900 operate in 902 - 928 MHz, I'm not sure for this one.

I think we can use the apc220 without problem.

Last edited:
Back