Who are your rocketry idols?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James Flenner, known around these parts as Fdog. He lives in Reno with me but I met him through these forums. After meeting him just one time, he treated me like we've been friends for decades. His knowledge of rocketry is amazing and he has been a HUGE help to me as I've learned about HPR.

Good list. I would add CJ, Tim Lehr, and Tom Binford.

How could I FORGET TOM! HeHe I remember chasing one of the "Motor Eaters" with him to a cornfield almost to the stores in Orangeburg
Great ignitor advice he does give..

To the already great names listed above, I have to add Mike Kruger at Cosmodrome. Though we've never met, his Nike Apache kit started me down this path 15 years ago. While others have come and gone, he continues to put out top quality scale mid power kits that are outstanding to build and to fly. I now have all of his kits and eagerly await the next offerings.

Mike, I really hope to have a chance to buy you a beer someday!

Cheers,
Michael

Awww shucks! Thanks for the good words. I guess now I need to get back to getting the Lambda ready....

I don't drink, but I've never passed up a Mt. Dew.

Awww shucks! Thanks for the good words. I guess now I need to get back to getting the Lambda ready....

I don't drink, but I've never passed up a Mt. Dew.

Hey Mike. I apologize for the presumption. I really meant it more as a figurative beer, anyway. Mountain Dew it is! I also brew an elegant cup of coffee made from beans that I roast myself, if you're into that sort of thing. CMASS wouldn't be too far of a drive...

I was thinking about the Lambda the other day. I flew a little Kappa 9M on a cluster of 3 slow burning Quest C's for the first time. Great flight! I'm not sure what it is about those Japanese sounding rockets, but I think they're really cool. I may have to buy 2 from you...one to build stock and one to try and both cluster AND stage. Either way, I'll be first in line!

Idol is a strong word. Let me put it this way...If I could do what you have done, as well as you do, and for as long as you have been doing it...I would really feel like I had accomplished something wonderful!

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hey Mike. I apologize for the presumption. I really meant it more as a figurative beer, anyway. Mountain Dew it is! I also brew an elegant cup of coffee made from beans that I roast myself, if you're into that sort of thing. CMASS wouldn't be too far of a drive...

I was thinking about the Lambda the other day. I flew a little Kappa 9M on a cluster of 3 slow burning Quest C's for the first time. Great flight! I'm not sure what it is about those Japanese sounding rockets, but I think they're really cool. I may have to buy 2 from you...one to build stock and one to try and both cluster AND stage. Either way, I'll be first in line!

Idol is a strong word. Let me put it this way...If I could do what you have done, as well as you do, and for as long as you have been doing it...I would really feel like I had accomplished something wonderful!

Cheers,
Michael

Glad to hear that my work results in enjoyment.

Ya there is something about the Japanese rockets, lots of cool ones out there. The Lambda certainly won't be the only one I kit.

thanks again

I agree with most of the many names mentioned. I will add Carl McLawhorn.

There are tons of people here in TRF that I look up to. Won't try to list them lest I fail by omission.

How about Ross Dunton, David Reese.
Locally Charlie Humphries and Mike Law

Tom Hoelle from Summit City Aerospace Modelers (SCAM), Ft. Wayne, IN, was a bit of a mentor to me back in the early/mid 80's. I was a pre-teen/teen at the time but got to watch and learn some competition techniques from him, and he was a champion scale modeler. I don't think that club exists anymore, and I don't know what ever happened to Tom. George Gassaway also appeared at many of our "Mad Anthony" Regional meets (The MAR Strikes Back; Return of the MAR) back then.

Tom Hoelle from Summit City Aerospace Modelers (SCAM), Ft. Wayne, IN, was a bit of a mentor to me back in the early/mid 80's. I was a pre-teen/teen at the time but got to watch and learn some competition techniques from him, and he was a champion scale modeler. I don't think that club exists anymore, and I don't know what ever happened to Tom. George Gassaway also appeared at many of our "Mad Anthony" Regional meets (The MAR Strikes Back; Return of the MAR) back then.

SCAM is still active and has a class 1 launch at Concordia Seminary once a month from April through October. Both Charlie (deceased) and Mike in the previous post are members. Tom was before my time although I believe I have met him a couple of times several years ago.

SCAM is still active and has a class 1 launch at Concordia Seminary once a month from April through October. Both Charlie (deceased) and Mike in the previous post are members. Tom was before my time although I believe I have met him a couple of times several years ago.

Good to hear. Back when I was active in that club we launched on the IPFW campus before it grew (the R/C sailplane group would fly across the street at the state mental hospital). Last time I attended a SCAM event was probably in 1992 while home on leave from the USAF, and they had moved out to the 4H fairgrounds. I don't believe I ever knew the other two gentlemen you mentioned.

this lil guy. his enthusiasm and excitement every time we launch and every flight is awesome.
plus he helps set up and tear down without being asked.

caden.jpg

Steve was one who inspired me to get into the hobby with his Saturn V. I returned to the hobby after a brief stint when I was 13 years old and the YouTube videos is what did it for me. There was also the quake project. After those two videos I was shopping.

I'll name a few TRFers (past and present) that I always admired based on their build skills and willingness to share knowledge with others.

1. HCMBanjo - Chris Michielssen and his blog posts at https://oddlrockets.blogspot.com/ have given me more information than any other source. He's also posted amazing content on these forums, answered numerous questions here, in PMs and emails, and was also willing to meet me on a trip to Orlando a few years ago. I had the pleasure to sit and talk to him for a while and he's just as nice in person as you could ever hope someone to be.

2. NJRick - A master builder himself, so many of his rockets have an amazing amount of detail added which makes them even more impressive. He inspired me to go beyond the regular instructions and add details that make the models look even better, and that improved building for me. He also is a very complimentary person and always has something nice to say in his posts.

3. Luke Strawwalker - Jeff isn't on TRF anymore due to differences with the "new" owners, which is a shame because every post of his was an encyclopedia of good information about rockets. I mean if you ask him a question about gluing a fairing on a Saturn V, he'd tell you a great way that he did it, then he'd keep writing to tell you all about the fairing on the real rocket, the engine, the history, and often would exceed the maximum post length and have to continue on a second post. All of it gold. I miss his knowledge base. He may or may not still be active on YORF but I realized long ago that I don't want to be.

There are others, but those are the top 3 for me.

Sergei Korolev. Russian Chief Designer of the R-7 Semyorka ICBM, which we see today as the Soyuz. His imprisonment is likely the only thing that allowed the Germans to get into space first.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Korolev

NASA have a fantastic set of eBooks written if you are interested in the Russian development of rockets. https://www.nasa.gov/connect/ebooks/rockets_people_vol1_detail.html

There are many great people in rocketry (including both amateur and professional) but his accomplishments under very arduous circumstances stick in my mind.

I'll name a few TRFers (past and present) that I always admired based on their build skills and willingness to share knowledge with others.

1. HCMBanjo - Chris Michielssen and his blog posts at https://oddlrockets.blogspot.com/ have given me more information than any other source. He's also posted amazing content on these forums, answered numerous questions here, in PMs and emails, and was also willing to meet me on a trip to Orlando a few years ago. I had the pleasure to sit and talk to him for a while and he's just as nice in person as you could ever hope someone to be.

2. NJRick - A master builder himself, so many of his rockets have an amazing amount of detail added which makes them even more impressive. He inspired me to go beyond the regular instructions and add details that make the models look even better, and that improved building for me. He also is a very complimentary person and always has something nice to say in his posts.

3. Luke Strawwalker - Jeff isn't on TRF anymore due to differences with the "new" owners, which is a shame because every post of his was an encyclopedia of good information about rockets. I mean if you ask him a question about gluing a fairing on a Saturn V, he'd tell you a great way that he did it, then he'd keep writing to tell you all about the fairing on the real rocket, the engine, the history, and often would exceed the maximum post length and have to continue on a second post. All of it gold. I miss his knowledge base. He may or may not still be active on YORF but I realized long ago that I don't want to be.

There are others, but those are the top 3 for me.

OK, I'll bite on the TRFers....Carl Tulanko, Boris Kattan, Daddyisabar, Jim Flis, sandman, Micromeister, Bob Krech

I can't name them all, but I'll try. First, Tim Lehr because, well, because he's Tim Lehr. He's helped me with more projects than you can shake a stick(or body tube, if you prefer...) at. A good friend who is not super active here, but lurks a bit, Steve Piette. I first met Steve when I had bought a Boyce Aerospace 4" Mercury Redstone. Mine has the 38mm mmt. Steve also has one but with the 29mm mmt. Back in the day, I was actually going to build it and we swapped innards because I didn't have any 38mm hardware (and was never going to have any :eyeroll: ). We later swapped back to keep our kits original. He's been a good friend. You can't leave out Crazy Jim Hendrickson. He was a wealth of info when I was building my L3 rocket. I'd ask a question and usually his reply would be "why the heck do you wanna do that???!" I'd say, "well I read somewhere..." and he'd tell me what was whut... Dr David Reese is an awesome guy. He, along with Tim were my L3 TAPS. You could not ask for a more wonderful and super smart person to be around. And finally there's my new rocket buddy, Erik Cerwin. He's been a good person to bounce ideas and what if's off of, plus a companion to go to launches, since my older son has discovered online computer games, and my younger son has the attention span of a fish... He tries, but a full day is still too much for him.
And finally (did I say finally already? Well I mean it this time), Gus. Just because any launch is made better by his presence. And his Twinkies... And his stories.
There are more I can name, like Eric Cayemberg and Preston Nobile, but I've rambled on too long now. The dogs are restless...

I can't name them all, but I'll try. First, Tim Lehr because, well, because he's Tim Lehr. He's helped me with more projects than you can shake a stick(or body tube, if you prefer...) at. A good friend who is not super active here, but lurks a bit, Steve Piette. I first met Steve when I had bought a Boyce Aerospace 4" Mercury Redstone. Mine has the 38mm mmt. Steve also has one but with the 29mm mmt. Back in the day, I was actually going to build it and we swapped innards because I didn't have any 38mm hardware (and was never going to have any :eyeroll: ). We later swapped back to keep our kits original. He's been a good friend. You can't leave out Crazy Jim Hendrickson. He was a wealth of info when I was building my L3 rocket. I'd ask a question and usually his reply would be "why the heck do you wanna do that???!" I'd say, "well I read somewhere..." and he'd tell me what was whut... Dr David Reese is an awesome guy. He, along with Tim were my L3 TAPS. You could not ask for a more wonderful and super smart person to be around. And finally there's my new rocket buddy, Erik Cerwin. He's been a good person to bounce ideas and what if's off of, plus a companion to go to launches, since my older son has discovered online computer games, and my younger son has the attention span of a fish... He tries, but a full day is still too much for him.
And finally (did I say finally already? Well I mean it this time), Gus. Just because any launch is made better by his presence. And his Twinkies... And his stories.
There are more I can name, like Eric Cayemberg and Preston Nobile, but I've rambled on too long now. The dogs are restless...

That is a solid list.

Even though he's not nearly as famous as some rocketeers, mine probably had to be my good friend Harold Sasloe, TRF username harsas. For years, he was the prefect of Tripoli Fort Myers and was probably the most laid back person there was. He was the type that hated rules for the most part except the ones that were for safety. The only thing he wouldn't allow were sparky motors due to our launch site being mostly tall grass. I used to razz him constantly for this for kicks.:wink:

However he knew I was just kidding and would have actually never launched one without his approval. But he never blinked an eye when I stuffed H, I, J and K motors into HPR oddrocs on several occasions. He also helped me get through a hard time in my life when my father passed away.

Unfortunately he sold his house and moved out of town (about 5-6 hours away) and the club experience for me hasn't been the same ever since. Dang I miss you Harold.:(

Back