ESTES Interceptor "E" build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's sweet! definitely a looker for sure as well as a high flyer...

I'm probably going to sell my decal for this kit. Since I won't be needing them. $10 shipped.

I will be interested to see what design you come up with.

Definitely a lot of "real estate" to cover.

I applied green putty to all the epoxy fillets. I'm not in the mood to do any sanding just yet so I'll let it set up a day or two. I'm almost done with assembly so I'll cruise for awhile.

IMG_2109.jpgIMG_2110.jpg

BTW - If any of you need an extra set of Interceptor "E" decals let me know. I'm selling mine. $10 shipped.

About the only thing different on the ones I've built is blending wing/tail cross grain supports. In think that's one area of the kit that's over designed for any 24mm motor. My reenforcements turnout to be half as thick once blended in. Makes the decals much easier as well.

I gotta tell ya, personally I like the supports. They give the bird a little detail. That said, over time the wings tend to warp a tick without them. The grain is near 90 deg to the bt.Any warpage is much more pronounced than a swept back fin----from the airs point of view---. Blending them in makes decal application a hell of a lot easier for sure. I use those little mixing sticks for mine, nice and hard--pine I think--well worth the added weight(minimal) down the road.

Squadron Green putty.....my weapon of choice for filling gaps in plastic nosecones. I sure am glad I am following this build because I wondered how well it would work for filling fillets. I'd only used it on plastic.

Dave

Bad news...my friends pit bull got a hold of my rocket and destroyed it so gonna have to write it off. It's beyond repair. Sorry guys. This was looking to be a good thread! Oh well dogs will be dogs!

Bad news...my friends pit bull got a hold of my rocket and destroyed it so gonna have to write it off. It's beyond repair. Sorry guys. This was looking to be a good thread! Oh well dogs will be dogs!

I was going to take those Interceptor E decals but you may need them now......

You got to be kidding me!!!!

I love all animals but.................yep, they will be what they will be.

That still is heartbreaking, sorry for your loss.

You got to be kidding me!!!!

I love all animals but.................yep, they will be what they will be.

That still is heartbreaking, sorry for your loss.

The dog usually stays in the yard and I had it low enough to where he could get it, but I didn't think he was able to get in the garage...guess I'll part out the rest of it. The decals, nose and pods. Oh well...lucky it wasn't a more expensive kit. Right now I'm hanging all my rockets from the rafters and organizing the garage.

As I stated before my friends dog didn't like the changes I made to my Interceptor and figured it would best be used as a chew toy instead. :cry: Not sure how card board and glue taste, but maybe he was craving fiber in his diet. :lol: Oh well it is what it is, but I'm thankful he didn't decided on one that was already finished. Yikes! So now my rockets hang high above the ground proudly on display....

IMG_2111.jpgIMG_2112.jpgIMG_2113.jpgIMG_2114.jpg

Check out the yard sale section. I'm gonna be selling off what's left on the Interceptor...maybe I'll use the money toward one of the new ones they have out? We'll see...maybe I should just take a break from it for awhile. No dogs allowed!!!

No good can come of this. Perhaps burning the remains would be fitting. I did have one episode with the Lab last year and the rockets ended up here, in the bedroom!! Wifey's ok with it for a while------100_2069.jpg100_2071.jpg-----Ehh, your hooked now anyway. Might as well start planning that upscale now. --Bill

The dog usually stays in the yard and I had it low enough to where he could get it, but I didn't think he was able to get in the garage...guess I'll part out the rest of it. The decals, nose and pods. Oh well...lucky it wasn't a more expensive kit. Right now I'm hanging all my rockets from the rafters and organizing the garage.

If it were my rocket, either the dog or its owner would be what's hanging from rafters...

Just kidding, sorta... dogs will be dogs.

No good can come of this. Perhaps burning the remains would be fitting. I did have one episode with the Lab last year and the rockets ended up here, in the bedroom!! Wifey's ok with it for a while------View attachment 136796View attachment 136797-----Ehh, your hooked now anyway. Might as well start planning that upscale now. --Bill

I'll do a scratch build I guess....Hmmmm??

Well,--- you have the demensions now , you have the build skills, you have the garage to build it, You can borrow my wolf to keep the other dogs away, gotta pay for that though !! I say build it baby --x1.5 +/- maybe a quad in the back end, some room for a cam or two. Go for broke , tame is lame bro---I sound like a surfer---:facepalm:--I shall take my leave of you now--Bill---until then

Seriously?! Nothing left to rebuild from?! That sux, I truly hate to hear of your Interceptor E's demise...

Seriously?! Nothing left to rebuild from?! That sux, I truly hate to hear of your Interceptor E's demise...

I was able to retrieve the tail cone section and shock cord, but aside from that it got chewed up pretty good. So yeah not much left. The nose cone, pods and chute are ok because they weren't attached. IDK - Just have to deal with it ya know? Not much I can do about it now.

Last edited:
Dang....really sorry to hear this....I was following this thread and looking forward to more....

After looking at my left over parts I noticed that it seems the shoulder of the nose cone and also the plastic tail seem smaller than a standard BT-70 yet larger than a BT-60? Is this correct? If that's the case not sure where to find the parts to build another kit using the left overs.

reasonably sure that 'BMS' carried the odd sized Estes tubes.
rex

Once you get her ready to go then you can have days like this! :) The Interceptor left maybe a 10th second later, but ended up passing it a few hundred feet up and winning the drag race. The Super Vega had a G40 I believe and my Interceptor had an Aerotech F32-6

Drag Race.jpg

After looking at my left over parts I noticed that it seems the shoulder of the nose cone and also the plastic tail seem smaller than a standard BT-70 yet larger than a BT-60? Is this correct? If that's the case not sure where to find the parts to build another kit using the left overs.
Estes is now selling Pro Series tubing. The Interceptor E uses the 2" tubing. Here is a link to a 13" long piece of it: https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/pro-series/parts/031390-pro-series-iitm-2-5-od-body-tube-558 . HTH.

You know, every time I follow an Interceptor E build, mine goes right back to the end of the build queue and I don't even have a build queue.
I've never gotten past the open the bag and make sure everything was accounted for and not damaged.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great looking and flying rocket.
The problem I have is that it is so unusual looking that when two or three show up a a club launch it's like oh look, there's another Interceptor E.
I've seen some neat mods, but I'm fairly convinced I'd rather invest all the time, energy and money it would take to build it into a unique scratch build.

Hmmmm, $30.00 plus cheapest shipping available would definitely convince me to invest all the time, energy and money it would take to build it into a unique scratch build.

Bones

You know, every time I follow an Interceptor E build, mine goes right back to the end of the build queue and I don't even have a build queue.
I've never gotten past the open the bag and make sure everything was accounted for and not damaged.

Don't get me wrong, it is a great looking and flying rocket.
The problem I have is that it is so unusual looking that when two or three show up a a club launch it's like oh look, there's another Interceptor E.
I've seen some neat mods, but I'm fairly convinced I'd rather invest all the time, energy and money it would take to build it into a unique scratch build.

Hmmmm, $30.00 plus cheapest shipping available would definitely convince me to invest all the time, energy and money it would take to build it into a unique scratch build.

Bones

Sounds tempting but I have to pass... if I got something for my parts I might. I don't want to have extras laying that I won't use.

Back