Nuclear Sledgehammer Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
For my first major build,

The Giant Leap Nuclear Sledgehammer: This is an awesome kit and a builders kit. Lots or parts and instructions that are 50 pages front and back - 100 pages of instructions by my book. I started today and this will be two boxes out of my build pile.

Here are the unboxed parts2013-06-14 20.30.06.jpg2013-06-14 20.29.18.jpg photos.

SUBSCRIBED :pop:

Your first major build and your are starting off with this monster? You sir... are a brave man!! I haven't worked up the nerve to start on one of these yet. I'll be watching this build very carefully............

Instructions: I would agree until I saw all the parts. This is not an easy or simple 3-4 fin rocket. It has 3 AV bays.

You Da Man Chuck. Awesome. One of my favorite big rockets. Subscribed. You have great taste in all of your rocket selections. Maybe someday for me. Good luck with the build.

Chris

It is just the way it designed. Each AV bay is self contained. I plan to have two altimeters and a tracker.

Subscribed.

Chuck I had to LOL at how much you actually look like your avatar.

My Honest John does. The Nuclear Sledgehammer does not. The NS will have to go on an M.

So of each of the three av-bays are self contained, how does it sense the outside air? I don't see any ports?

Also, its already glassed, right?

So of each of the three av-bays are self contained, how does it sense the outside air? I don't see any ports?

If it's like the Talon 6, run a port from the bay to the outside of the airframe.

Also, its already glassed, right?

Yes. It's their Dynawind tubing.

-Kevin

What's the reasoning behind this? It seems complexity is given as a "feature" of the rocket on the GLR website...

There's the minimalist approach that most of the fiberglass kits on the market take, and there's the more "design as art" approach, which is what Kent at Giant Leap does.

It's a different design philosophy than most do, and Kent puts a tremendous amount of though and effort into the kits that he produces. Nothing they do is complexity for the sake of complexity. I tend to think of the kits as more Engineered than just built.

-Kevin

There's the minimalist approach that most of the fiberglass kits on the market take, and there's the more "design as art" approach, which is what Kent at Giant Leap does.

It's a different design philosophy than most do, and Kent puts a tremendous amount of though and effort into the kits that he produces. Nothing they do is complexity for the sake of complexity. I tend to think of the kits as more Engineered than just built.

That is correct. I am reading the instructions right now. I will post the details as I built. This will be a very thorough build thread.

Looks like a fun build. Is this kit still available? I don't see a price. The Talon 6 seems to be discontinued.

Anyway, here's a very very very preliminary downscale of the Nuclear Sledgehammer, aka Mini Sledge. I tossed it together a few nights ago for fun after I saw your post. 98mm min diameter, 3grain max.

View attachment mini_nuclear_sledghammer.rkt

Last edited:
I agree. I has planned to buy a V2 from Polecat, but it appears that one is going to be a long time or never in the coming.

I guess back when it was available, it was at a cost of around 800 bucks +75 - 100 shipping. Here's a site that that said so. CLICK

Chuck, I'd really like to see this one go forth. I seriously doubt if you'll have time to get it finished before Freedom Launch. That's a big ole fat lot of parts and instructions.

BTW...The photo I saw first made this rocket look like a kid's toy. I hope you have better taste than that. Check out this paint job. This looks great!

Sledgehammer.jpg

Back