Nuclear Sledgehammer Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son held up his magician's wand and tried to send me to Diagon Alley to no avail. I shall be without a self-stirring cauldron (sniff, sniff).

Ok - revive thread. I will restart the progress in t-minus 9 days - on 15 June. Should I build the AV bay with the three separate AV bays or on single large one?

To those who have never seen this kit, it cam with a cluster to three AV bays clustered into a 7.5 inch centering ring.

Should I build the AV bay with the three separate AV bays or one, single large one?

To those who have never seen this kit, it came with a cluster to three AV bays clustered into a 7.5 inch centering ring.

Hey 'bout time....[5 years]your kid is grown, married with kids, & your now called "Paw-Paw"!......:wink:

I would simplify and just build a standard Av-bay with large sled if need be. The 3 bay thing is "cool & sophisticated" but for me " form follows function".
Would save you some time to boot.

Where you getting time for all this....are you back home for a bit?

CJ, I am back for 2 years and stationed in Augusta, GA. I get to go home every weekend.

I was thinking the same thing. The three bay sounds cool but maybe too complicated.

Awesome, looking forward to seeing this amazing rocket finished. Almost forgot about this build thread.

Despite the amount of sanding in front of me, I am looking forward to finishing this one.

Despite the amount of sanding in front of me, I am looking forward to finishing this one.

It is never too early to teach the next generation the joy of sanding with Paw-Paw. Glad you will be stationed back home. Sorry our paths didn't cross while you were in TX though.

I too am very much looking forward to this build recommencing, and I would also probably do it as a single bay.

Sadly enough, I never had the energy and or time to fly in Texas. Job was a bear.

Back by popular demand - I am reinitiating this build.

Question for the group - AV Bay - build it as design with 3 AV sleds in one 7.5 coupler or stick to a single sled design?

Question for the group - AV Bay - build it as design with 3 AV sleds in one 7.5 coupler or stick to a single sled design?

Stick to a single sled design to save some weight and hassle. Looking forward to seeing this kit completed, it is my favorite from Giant Leap Rocketry

3 sleds, assuming you can get access to switches with ease.

This page might give you idea of what I mean by 3 sleds:

https://mylevel3.wordpress.com/
Something oddly attracts me to the design, but it is unneeded complexity.

This past weekend, I sanded a lot. More sanding this weekend and a last layup of Carbon fiber. I will post photos as I go. At this stage, it is defiantly a 100 meter bird.

Build per the design for the AvBay. Bretts original design had enough room between the 3 bays to put a GPS FRS radio in it as a tracker. BTW if you need any close-up photos of anything let me know, Brett built the AvBay before I got the rocket so mine should be put together per the original design. Are you going stock length or makingvthe upper payload/chute bay longer like both Alex's and the yellow and red one's are? Built stock with a 75mm the longest case that will fit is the 75/7680, minecflew on a M1550R.

This page might give you idea of what I mean by 3 sleds:

https://mylevel3.wordpress.com/
Something oddly attracts me to the design, but it is unneeded complexity.
The pic you referenced was buried in the left column about halfway down the page you linked to, but I found it...

img_0147.jpg

If you want a less complex design, you might be interested in an idea I pilfered from Ian A Dalton (All inks to pics of his design are broken).

My design

Pike AV Sled v4-Small.jpg

I've long wished for smaller, all glass versions of this kit (3/4/5")...TIM??

At this point...maybe 8+ years after GL discontinued their kit...are designs like this 'fair game' for other mfgs to start kitting? I don't think it was actually designed by giant leap...neither was the Talon, and apparently it was fair game

I've long wished for smaller, all glass versions of this kit (3/4/5")...TIM?? At this point...maybe 8+ years after GL discontinued their kit...are designs like this 'fair game' for other mfgs to start kitting? I don't think it was actually designed by giant leap...neither was the Talon, and apparently it was fair game
It was not designed by GLR, the Crossbow, Nuclear Sledgehammer, and Binder Devastator were all designed by Brett Simpkins. If a company were out of business and gone then maybe it could be fair game, but GLR is still in business and the design is their property afaik.

one of these days I'll get to my Magna-Frame Crossbow, the Nuclear Sledgehammer's little brother.
it's in my build pile....

Build per the design for the AvBay. Bretts original design had enough room between the 3 bays to put a GPS FRS radio in it as a tracker. BTW if you need any close-up photos of anything let me know, Brett built the AvBay before I got the rocket so mine should be put together per the original design. Are you going stock length or makingvthe upper payload/chute bay longer like both Alex's and the yellow and red one's are? Built stock with a 75mm the longest case that will fit is the 75/7680, minecflew on a M1550R.
I've downloaded the instructions and looked at pictures of the AvBay. I still can't figure out where the altimeters "breath" and get their atmospheric data from. All the the tubes appear to be completely sealed. Can somewhere tell me how the AvBays get their static air info?

I've downloaded the instructions and looked at pictures of the AvBay. I still can't figure out where the altimeters "breath" and get their atmospheric data from. All the the tubes appear to be completely sealed. Can somewhere tell me how the AvBays get their static air info?
Every bay has ports that open to the interior of the Tri-Bay, and the exterior of the rocket has ports that are open to the tri-bay. Give me a few and I will get a pic of the completed and assembled by the designer bay.

20220417_185240.jpg20220417_185229.jpg

Two bays hold one altimeter each and the third bay has a Rousetech CDD3 CO2 ejection system gas cylinder holder mounted in each end. The bay is not mounted in a coupler like we typically do, its two CRs that are sized to the inside of the airframe, the forward end of the tribay butts against a large opening CR that the three bolts with wing nuts go through.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back