Chrome Daddy sounds better than Aluminum Duct Taped Daddy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threemorewishes

Reaction score
Here's my latest Big Daddy. I used an old 3x24mm cluster kit I had laying around from a failed experiment and some aluminum foil duct tape. I was worried that applying the tape using my 10 thumbs would result in something as wrinkly as grandma's neck wattle, but it turned out better than I thought. Turns out the foil tape is pretty forgiving to wrinkles. A little burnishing and they all smoothed out pretty easily.
It's a little heavy at 15 ounces but that includes weight in the nose cone to move the CG, a baffle system, a 24 inch nylon chute, a Nomex blanket (not really needed), 12 feet of 1/8 inch tubular Kevlar, a small swivel and a small beeper. It has 1.1 calibers of stability and uses rail buttons so much better that the stock kit in the wind.
Hopefully I will have a chance this weekend to see how it flies on three D12s.
Threemorewishes

I like it! You should be able to easily see that thing at altitude on sunny days! At our last launch I threw together a rocket last minute to fly for fun, motor eject no tracker, which was the first time in a long time I have decided to fly without a tracker. Just before flying, I decided to put a wrap of aluminum tape around the airframe to get that flash for visual tracking. Worked out smooooth, I flew four times to respectable altitudes and still have the rocket!

That came out good, and I love the name. What kind of paint you use for the NC?

It think it should be "My Big Shiny Chrome Daddy".

Or if you are a Futurama fan, "Bite My Big Shiny Chrome Daddy".

That came out good, and I love the name. What kind of paint you use for the NC?
Thanks...No paint, it is all aluminum foil duct tape. For the nose cone I cut the tape into one inch wide strips. The flash on the camera makes it look different than the body and fins.

Where on earth did you find room for all that stuff inside?
I cut the bottom of the nose cone off and glued an eye bolt into the tip.

I am hoping to fly it this Sunday.

Thanks...No paint, it is all aluminum foil duct tape. For the nose cone I cut the tape into one inch wide strips. The flash on the camera makes it look different than the body and fins...

I was wondering that myself. What kind of duct tape is it exactly?

I really like how your Big Daddy turned out with the Duct tape doo. I had considered doing something similar using another type of adhesive backed material that looked like brushed steel ot aluminum... but I do not believe it would have near the adhesion that duct tape has... excellent work!

Great Idea! I love the Aluminum Foil Tape. It's sticky as all hell, and looks great. It does mar easily though.

It also has some great heat properties. I assume it would work well as the edging on a Mach+ rocket, assuming you can glue it on better.

I like it!

No.

Starfleet emblem.

Phew! For a second I thought you were going to say Windows and we'd have a flame war on our hands. :p A Starfleet emblem would definitely work.

On a side note, has anyone thought about making a model rocket of the "special torpedoes" from the new Star Trek?

The Chrome Daddy has flown! Three D12-7s were the motors of choice for the maiden flight. It flew OK but not high enough for my liking. The next combo will be three E15s, E22s or E30s and if that is not enough it will be three E75s. NYPower or BUST!

And if a radiator hose springs a leak on the way home from the launch. . .

Or your Pop-Up sun shade gets a tear. . .

Or some “Know-It-All-Loudmouth” at the launch just will not shut-up. . .

reminds me of a saying,something about a girl and a chrome trailer hitch..:confused:
"Chrome Dome"
Anywhoo- nice job.Great Idea
I "papered" some fins awhile back(?) with the real shinny stuff. I havent used them on a rocket..just trying it out.

Last edited:
Back