Kit options

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a kit that has a 24mm MMT. I want to use a Aeropack retainer for motor retention and eliminate the standard engine hook that comes with the kit. If I go with the AP retainer, will I still be able to fly black powder motors? Is there a way to fasten them "safely" and "securely"??

I don't know if a tape ring on a BP motor will fit in the Aeropac, I've never used one. Guess I'm too cheap to spend money on something like that when so many other methods work just as well.

For 24mm, I usually use the Estes MMT with the standard hook. File down the forward end so the forward endcap of the 24/40 case will fit. Then use a wire tie to wrap around the hook and the RMS nozzle to prevent the hook from opening.

Casing Retention.JPG

The other option is to make sure you have 1/4" to 1/2" of the MMT showing and then use masking tape around the motor and MMT to tape the two together. I've never had a problem with that method in 24mm or 29mm.

I under stand using a tape center ring so it butts against the of the MMT and then wrapping tape around it and the MMT and I also understand the filing down of the engine hook. Will a 1/8" taped ring fit inside an AP retainer and still hold itself in place without an engine block. I just want to keep my options open for motor selection.

I have a Dynastar SNARKY kit that I'm considering building. View attachment DynaStar_Snarky_29mm.rkt

I know it comes with a 24mm, but I got to thinking (now that's dangerous for me) to modify with a 29mm. After running a simulations in ROCKSIM it seems that it will fly best on E and F size motors. It has a velocity at deployment, but of course we know that can change if there's wind of if the vehicle gets squarely. Part of my concern is whether or not the kit itself (fuselage) can withstand the force of a 29mm motor?? I'll reinforce the wings and tail etc with epoxy fillets, I just don't want the body to crinkle.

Thoughts or suggestions???

Last edited:
My dad uses tape in his retainers and it works fine. Of course not estes, kosdon cases but yea same idea.

I have a Dynastar SNARKY kit that I'm considering building. View attachment 133450

I know it comes with a 24mm, but I got to thinking (now that's dangerous for me) to modify with a 29mm. After running a simulations in ROCKSIM it seems that it will fly best on E and F size motors. It has a velocity at deployment, but of course we know that can change if there's wind of if the vehicle gets squarely. Part of my concern is whether or not the kit itself (fuselage) can withstand the force of a 29mm motor?? I'll reinforce the wings and tail etc with epoxy fillets, I just don't want the body to crinkle.

This is a really, really light kit. While I understand the desire for bigger motors, this is one kit I would not even consider putting in 29mm. It flies on as little as a C11-3, and can handle small F motors. It *really* gets up there on an E9! It uses thin wall BT-70, and has BIG balsa fins. To make it handle G motors, the fins and airframe would probably need beefing up, and then there isn't much left of the original kit! I usually fly mine on D12 motors.

I under stand using a tape center ring so it butts against the of the MMT and then wrapping tape around it and the MMT and I also understand the filing down of the engine hook. Will a 1/8" taped ring fit inside an AP retainer and still hold itself in place without an engine block. I just want to keep my options open for motor selection.

I have a Dynastar SNARKY kit that I'm considering building. View attachment 133450

I have a Firefox that I believe has the same type of mount.

Here is what I plan to do. I will use a 24mm Estes retainer due to cost. I plan on being able to fly on AT 24mm (up to F power) reloads and black powder so I will put a engine block in so that Estes E motors will fit. That way, BP Es and Ds (with a spacer) will fit (no tape required) as well as the AT reload case.

Just my .02

Cheers!!

Back