Rocket Poxy Review

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REK

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I wanted to share my thoughts and opinions on this Rocket Poxy glue that I just recently heard of. I got me a small pint size which in my opinion has plenty of epoxy for lots of rockets. So this stuff is just really thick and flows like warm honey, which is perfect for wetting out the surface area. Now making fillets is real easy with this adhesive. I went ahead and as soon as I got it wanted to try it out. I took a PVC pipe (to mimic a body tube) and a G10 fiberglass fin that I had no use for. I glued the G10 fin with 5 minute epoxy and let it dry. Once the 5 minute epoxy cured I took a 3/4" dowel and carbon paper to make my marking lines. I then used blue painters tape to seal up the area. Remember to scuff up the area with rough sand paper as this will give the epoxy more of a grip. Im sure everyone wants to get those awesome round uniform and aerodynamic looking fillets. It is recommended in the instructions to wait like 20-30 minutes. By this time the Epoxy will hardened to a peanut butter like consistency. My recommendation would be to place the epoxy on all the fin joints where the fillets will be made (yes, all fillets at once, this glue wont run on you). Hold your horses for 30 minutes and come back with a dowel and scrape off the epoxy. This will give you a final round, aerodynamic looking fillet. So far I like this epoxy and I would recommend it to anyone. The best part about this epoxy is that it is a 1 to 1 mix ration. Here are some pictures I took while messing with this great epoxy.

Rocket poxy glue.jpgblue tape applied.jpgscuffed fin.jpgoff white fillet.jpg

Last edited:
I had to make another post so I can put the rest of the pictures. Another great feature about this epoxy is that you can change its color with the color pigment that comes with the kit. I got a black pigment, but I believe I have read that there are also green and red color. Here are the pictures of the black fillet. I almost forgot to mention that it took only 3 drops of the coloring to make this much black epoxy.

colored epoxy.jpgblack fillet.jpg

I just used it for the first time this weekend as well. I will agree 100% about waiting the 30 min. If using it for external fillets. I made the mistake of being impatient the first set and I spent about 45 min. Chasing drips. Overall, I like the product, easy to mix, easy to measure. The interesting part is that it never "flashed" (got warm) its worth the price and I have seen the stuff hold up to some hard fin landings without cracking.

I just used it for the first time this weekend as well. I will agree 100% about waiting the 30 min. If using it for external fillets. I made the mistake of being impatient the first set and I spent about 45 min. Chasing drips. Overall, I like the product, easy to mix, easy to measure. The interesting part is that it never "flashed" (got warm) its worth the price and I have seen the stuff hold up to some hard fin landings without cracking.

Glad to hear it GRIFIN, I too am looking forward to seeing it in action. I have a Mach 2 rocket that just demands high strength epoxy that will last for many abusive flights.

It sands very nicely too!
I used it on cardboard & wood fins.....it soaked right in and bonded well.

Besides all the chemical features the one I like best is just how easy it is to mix at 1 to 1.

Need just a tiny amount, dip out some on the tip of a mixing stick, dab it on some cardboard, do same with hardener and mix it up. I use it like JB weld....just make 2 equal lines and mix. No pumps....no weighing,,,just mix it up.

Tip: when you first get your set of glue, wipe a thin bit of Vaseline on the threads of jars. It will make screwing the lids on/off easier. The glue will wipe off the threads if you get any on them.......and you will!LOL

Last edited:
not too expensive for that much high quality epoxy either...hmm I might use it for my L1 and on from there. The loctite 8oz 1:1 epoxy I buy now is like 15 for that...so $30 somethin isn't too bad at all.

~Ed

Well..... OK...I got something else from Glenmarc.
Thanks John & Tim.

This will make ya'll laugh, it's called HAPPY HANDS!

Ya put a tiny marble sized ball on your hands & rub it all over till it's soaked in & dry. That's it. Not sticky or weird, just smells nice. If you are into safe crack'n it says ya won't leave finger prints on any surface.LOL

Glue won't stick to your hands anymore. WELL those that know me....know I have glued everything ya can think of to myself at one time or another with CA.
So I just HAD to test this stuff.

IT WORKS!
I put a few drops of CA on my fingers & rubbed it around, let dry. Hour later the glue came right off while washing my hands. Now it did take a bit of scrubbing, not much, but I don't want to mislead that it fell right off like mud. But it does come off rather fast & easy.

Now if I could only gargle with it...hmmmm smells just like almonds, wonder how it tastes?

Will let ya know how it does with epoxy....I always get that on me, even with gloves. Heck I'm more excited about this stuff than the Rocketpoxy......

....... No Kevin.....DON"T even go there, I know your think'n it!:facepalm:

DSCN2080.jpg

DSCN2081.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks John & Tim.

Ya put a tiny marble sized ball on your hands & rub it all over till it's soaked in & dry. That's it. Not sticky or weird, just smells nice. If you are into safe crack'n it says ya won't leave finger prints on any surface.LOL

Glue won't stick to your hands anymore. WELL those that know me....know I have glued everything ya can think of to myself at one time or another with CA.

IT WORKS!
I put a few drops of CA on my fingers & rubbed it around, let dry. Hour later the glue came right off while washing my hands. Now it did take a bit of scrubbing, not much, but I don't want to mislead that it fell right off like mud. But it does come off rather fast & easy.

Now if I could only gargle with it...hmmmm smells just like almonds, wonder how it tastes?

Will let ya know how it does with epoxy....I always get that on me, even with gloves. Heck I'm more excited about this stuff than the Rocketpoxy......

Sounds fantastic, Im not one to get epoxy on my hands, but CA is a SOB. I will look into this and get me some later on :). Thanks Jim.

Last edited:
It sands very nicely too!
I used it on cardboard & wood fins.....it soaked right in and bonded well.

Besides all the chemical features the one I like best is just how easy it is to mix at 1 to 1.

Need just a tiny amount, dip out some on the tip of a mixing stick, dab it on some cardboard, do same with hardener and mix it up. I use it like JB weld....just make 2 equal lines and mix. No pumps....no weighing,,,just mix it up.

Tip: when you first get your set of glue, wipe a thin bit of Vaseline on the threads of jars. It will make screwing the lids on/off easier. The glue will wipe off the threads if you get any on them.......and you will!LOL

I think that is where I will enjoy it most is that it bonds to wood, plastic, and more. I have always thought about making fillets on my small rockets like from estes. I made some epoxy clay fillets on an estes mini hojo and man it was tough to do. However, with this stuff it should be easy as pie.

So far I havent got any glue on the lids. I was real careful when opening it. If it does get on there I will clean it up and put the vaseline.

Last edited:
Thanks John & Tim.

IT WORKS!

Too bad there isn't a Rocket TV Channel (like the Food Network Channel)--CJ you'd be the first host with tips about CA and Vaseline and any other things buried deep in the recesses of that brain.

(Smarmy gameshow announcer voice;) Aaaannnnddd nowwww, Your host for Stick it to Yaaaaa.....Kerraaaaaazzzzy Jimmmyyy!

I'm using rocket poxy for an 8 inch diameter 98MM mount and an using it for the entire project. The 1 to 1 mix makes it easy to use and provides for a non-brittle joint. I just completed a 5 inch build using this new epoxy and the fillets are beautiful and non of the parts are going anywhere, they are on rock solid.

Wonder if the happy hands stuff would prevent or at least slow the sensitization (is that a real word?) to epoxy?

Thanks John & Tim.

IT WORKS!

Wonder if the happy hands stuff would prevent or at least slow the sensitization (is that a real word?) to epoxy?

More than likely, that's exactly what it's made for. The industry term (at least from what I've seen) for it is "barrier cream". It's designed to provide a barrier between accidental contact and your skin.

I've seen some articles that recommend using a barrier cream and gloves -- the gloves being the first line of defense, the cream being the second, in case you tear the glove.

In CJ's case, you could put him in 3 layers of suits, each one hermetically sealed, and he'd still find a way to get some on his skin. Some people are talented that way.

-Kevin

I've used Power Poxy before, this stuff looks similar. Power Poxy mixed up to a peanut butter consistency. I repaired my old Skybolt with it. The last time it flew I snapped a fin off. Not at the joint, the fin broke just up from the joint. I've used it on another rocket and had no issues, just a little more weight because I probably used too much. I would imagine this stuff is the same and would hold solid....I can't wait to see more reports from the field using this stuff and how it has fared over time and repeated flights, especially the fiberglass and pvc Badazz rockets.

In CJ's case, you could put him in 3 layers of suits, each one hermetically sealed, and he'd still find a way to get some on his skin. Some people are talented that way.

-Kevin

I wonder how well happy hands works to protect hair?

Anyone remember the cell phone incident? :rofl:

G.D.

I thought I would put up some more pictures on making fillets with the Rocket Poxy. I know there are many uses for it, but I like to save this stuff for fin fillets. Once more I recommend waiting 30 minutes, after that its like peanut butter. This is where you can form your fillets with a wooden dowel or with a popsicle stick with a big radius to form the fillets. The results are just beautiful and you may also remove the tape once you form the fillets.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Also in additional to hand gluing and painting some of the many rocketry related uses of the Happy hands barrier cream is that it also works great to use before you clean reloadable motor cases, this really keeps the black greasy soot easy to clean off your hands and out from under your nails, same thing at a rocket meet with the black sooty rails, I use just a small marble sized amount rubbed into my hands and under my nails at the beginning of a rocket launch meet and really makes it easily to clean up your hands afterwards. Also helps with fiberglass tube "itch", when I am cutting, sanding, and/or machining fiberglass tubes and parts I used to get crazy itchy and even hives from this but since I started using Happy hands cream before I work with the fiberglass I have pretty much eliminated the itch or at least severely reduced it.

This Hand cream barrier product is not the same, similar, or available at typical auto stores or discount big box retailers or anyplace like that, we actually import in some of the proprietary chemical materials from Germany that goes into this product because we could not find them anywhere else including the USA, a little more expensive to do it this way but it does make the product very unique and work great. We retail a 1 pint jar (16 fl oz) for $15.00 and you can get about 300 marble size applications from this, so for $15 you can use it almost every day of the year.

I think Wildman Rocketry is going to carry it, so call Tim Lehr to get ya some.

Glenmarc Industries, Inc.

Last edited:
John, that is awesome about using the happy hands to clean the motors. I will look into getting some happy hands as well. Cant wait to try it.

Oh by the way, you can also use rocket poxy to make wicked fillets for low powered rockets.
image.jpg

Last edited:
John, that is awesome about using the happy hands to clean the motors. I will look into getting some happy hands as well. Cant wait to try it.

Oh by the way, you can also use rocket poxy to make wicked fillets for low powered rockets.
View attachment 133812

Whoever says epoxy is too heavy for LPR has likely never used a good epoxy.

Whoever says epoxy is too heavy for LPR has likely never used a good epoxy.

I sure hope nobody does. In my experience I've used bob smith epoxy in hopes that the fins would less likely break off. Since the epoxy does not bond too well to paper they still snap off after landing on rocks or hard surfaces. Getting uniform fillets however, with bob smith epoxy is probably possible, but would be difficult and a pain to make. Then I tried the epoxy clay in which bonds well to the paper when scuffed. However getting uniform fillets was a pain as well with this epoxy. Of course only bonding well is not enough for the fins still sometimes snap off with the epoxy clay. Using the Rocket poxy was just too easy once the epoxy becomes into a peanut butter consistancy. I am certain it will bond to the paper perfectly since it wets out the surface and will soak into the paper. Making LPR fillets with the rocket poxy can not get any easier than this.

Well it sticks to PVC! And I mean it sticks.

Forgot to clean my PVC tool for pulling fillets smooth, went to use it today and found glue on it. No way could I get it off, tried scraping, whacking it with a hammer, tossed it and made another one.

DSCN2083.jpg

Forgot to clean my PVC tool for pulling fillets smooth, went to use it today and found glue on it. No way could I get it off, tried scraping, whacking it with a hammer, tossed it and made another one.

That's why I use the same popsicle stick I used for mixing. It takes a steady hand for a good fillet, but you get a fresh one every time.

Haha, I always like to hear stories like that. Have you tried sanding it off? I always clean whatever tool I use before it decides to harden on me.

Back