Rocket Poxy Review

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does this stuff expire? Have the tubs of it but it's almost a year old. Used it for some home stuff and it was fine. But want to make sure it'll hold up for rocket building as I have several kits to build over the next several months.

The datasheet says it has a shelf life of a year and a half. Mine has already two years. I wonder if it still even works.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1
Mariah 54 - CTI RedLightning- I-100 - 6,345 Feet

By the way, I ran out of Rocketpoxy & thought I would try dying my West with the black, until I could get some more .

Colloidal Silica & all, man the fillets turned out great!

By the way, I ran out of Rocketpoxy & thought I would try dying my West with the black, until I could get some more .

Colloidal Silica & all, man the fillets turned out great!

I wonder if I can pigment some laminating epoxy black and make some black fiberglass tubes.

Alexander Solis

TRA - Level 1
Mariah 54 - CTI RedLightning- I-100 - 6,345 Feet

Anyone have experience moving the RocketPoxy to ketchup bottles or similar? Used it for the first time today, and squeezing sounds better than dipping...

I use wide mouthed ketchup bottles, it's easier to pour into them. If you have tight fitting caps on the tips, you can stand them up upside down in canning jars:

0206.jpg

So, after checking out the Glenmarc website, it seems that the previously-mentioned High-Temperature "ROCKETPOXY G6000HT" never made it into production ?

https://www.glenmarc.com/adhesives.htm

Dave F.

I have no idea what happened to that one. If anything, I was looking forward to it. The rocketpoxy alone is great stuff for the price.

However if you need that high temperature resistance for that Mach 3 flight, the Rocketpoxy High Temperature version would have been great for the application.

If you're going for high temp, I'd suggest JB Weld. It smooths easier too.

Any of you mach-busters ever layer epoxy?

Proline max temp is 275F
JBWeld is 500F continuous.

Seems like a mechanical bond with proline with a surface layer of JB might get you the best of both worlds.
Thoughts?

Tweeks

I would like to share some of the technical information on ROCKETPOXY G5000 as we have been asked questions regarding some of the different rocket applications that can be used with our ROCKETPOXY G5000 especially regarding higher temperature applications. The ROCKETPOXY G5000 was developed for use as a high strength structural epoxy with a published temperature rating of 225 Deg. F. While some have used it successfully with securing motor retainers I would not suggest this unless the motor is in the smaller range (H and under) and definitely not a long burn, since the RP G5000 was not specifically developed for motor retainers you would have to only use with good judgment about the temperatures the epoxy may come in contact with, in most cases the motor tube will act as an insulator and the motor tube/retainer will not come in contact with the same temperature the external metal rocket motor case will elevate to but we still recommend to proceed cautiously. We have not advertised or marketed this product as a high temperature rated epoxy for large motor retainers and especially motors with long burns. With that being said I want to go into the specifics a little more about this. When the Maximum temperature rating is exceeded ROCKETPOXY G5000 will not have a catastrophic failure it will just start to soften up and get “gummy” when the temperature cools down below the rated temperature it will usually hardened back up.

We are very conservative on the temperature rating (it will definitely go another 50 deg F. to 275 Deg. F before it starts softening) and my gut feel is that many epoxy companies do not rate so conservatively so always read with some skepticism the maximum temperature numbers ratings that you see on the side of marketing packages such as boxes/tubes they are to some extent what the marketing department wants to be published and not always based on the exact breakdown of the epoxy. It is always prudent to find out exactly how the "Max temp" rating was established for an epoxy especially for extreme rocket projects where this may be used on a part that could effect the success or failure. For example you have probably seen another epoxy that is advertised on many rocket sites to be used for motor retainers and it starts with a “J” , the packages states it is rated for 550 deg. F We have tested that exact epoxy and if was our product we would not put that temperature rating on the box, I would use about 325 to 375 deg F. from what our testing showed. Keep in mind that some epoxy companies are just rating the Max. temp as what a large brick of cured material can hold up to a 30 to 60 second spike of the so called published max temp., we rate for continuous use for small 100 gram mass.

I as well as others have had great success with the ROCKETPOXY G5000 on some elevated temperature applications. For example I used the ROCKETPOXY G5000 exclusively on my Mach madness winner (at Thunderstruck) this year which was basically a custom machined aluminum motor case with CF fins and G10 FW airframe tube epoxied directly on the aluminum motor case, everything held together perfectly as planned, made two rockets one that launched with a K1200 the other a K1440 but first did a lot of analysis with the design so felt comfortable with the ROCKETPOXY G5000 choice.

Also we will be coming out with a high temp rating version of ROCKETPOXY ( called ROCKETPOXY G6000HT) rated for 400 TO 500+ Deg F. of continuous use in the near future, this will be specifically for motor retainers and outside components for extreme max mach flights or any component that will need this higher temp rated version.

Regards,
John Olevich
President
Glenmarc Industries Inc.
Maybe more of this?

Thank you John fora very informative post. Do you have a projected date for the release of your higher temp epoxy?

All the best,
Bob

Thank you John fora very informative post. Do you have a projected date for the release of your higher temp epoxy?

All the best,
Bob

John made that post just over 5 years ago, and Glenmarc is still not producing the G6000HT, so I am guessing it will not be anytime soon.

I thought I would put up some more pictures on making fillets with the Rocket Poxy. I know there are many uses for it, but I like to save this stuff for fin fillets. Once more I recommend waiting 30 minutes, after that its like peanut butter. This is where you can form your fillets with a wooden dowel or with a popsicle stick with a big radius to form the fillets. The results are just beautiful and you may also remove the tape once you form the fillets.

View attachment 133519View attachment 133520View attachment 133521
Wait 30 minutes before application?

Yes so when you initially mix the epoxy, it can still run and sag. You want to wait 30-45 minutes not only for it to get rid of air bubbles, but to allow it to get to a peanut butter consistency. This will allow you to shape the fillets and get a beautiful radius finish on your fin fillets.

H
Yes so when you initially mix the epoxy, it can still run and sag. You want to wait 30-45 minutes not only for it to get rid of air bubbles, but to allow it to get to a peanut butter consistency. This will allow you to shape the fillets and get a beautiful radius finish on your fin fillets.
I thought the set time was 30 minutes. I haven't used it in years so I'll do a test first! Thanks!

H

I thought the set time was 30 minutes. I haven't used it in years so I'll do a test first! Thanks!
It is actually the pot life or working time, this is the time in which it starts to get harder, you will still have like another 30 minutes to work with it, which it should not take you long to apply. The set time if I remember correctly is 6-8 hours.

I apply it just after mixing, while it still flows a bit. I have the rocket horizontal, apply to the fin joint (that has been masked), smooth with a popsicle stick or tongue depressor (depending on fillet radius desired). After smoothing, there are a few irregularities, which will self level. Wait about 15 minutes, pull off masking tape. It will then flow just enough to smooth out any ridge left from the tape. Perfect glassy smooth fillet.

Wait maybe 45 minutes, rotate the rocket, and do another set of fins.

Hans.

I apply it just after mixing, while it still flows a bit. I have the rocket horizontal, apply to the fin joint (that has been masked), smooth with a popsicle stick or tongue depressor (depending on fillet radius desired). After smoothing, there are a few irregularities, which will self level. Wait about 15 minutes, pull off masking tape. It will then flow just enough to smooth out any ridge left from the tape. Perfect glassy smooth fillet.

Wait maybe 45 minutes, rotate the rocket, and do another set of fins.

Hans.
Exactly how I do it. Just dont forget to take the tape off....... I usually set a timer on my phone to remind me

It is actually the pot life or working time, this is the time in which it starts to get harder, you will still have like another 30 minutes to work with it, which it should not take you long to apply. The set time if I remember correctly is 6-8 hours.
Just to follow up again (I'll test this myself this week). You mix it, let it sit around for 30-minutes. Then apply it. When do you pull the fillets and when do you remove the tape?

Back