Liquid Masking Film

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
Has anybody used liquid masking film? If so, how did it work?

My current project is going to be a nightmare to mask. Of course, in my case, an Estes Alpha is a nightmare.

I would be interested in comments, advice, etc.

I've used this -

liquidmask.jpg

It's a quick-drying liquid latex.

Horrid stuff - doesn't paint on nicely and I found it a pain to use. I gave up.

But it's one of these things that you probably have to try yourself.

Good luck!!

Krusty

I've used stuff called "liquid frisket", and I've used plain old rubber cement. Used them as mask when doing air brushing. You need to develop the technique to get good at it. I think for rocketry stuff, I'd use masking tape (or sheet frisket if I wanted a re-usable mask).

Liquid masking agents are better used in plastic scale modeling. Some use it for masking canopies and I have seen it used for masking intricate camouflage patterns such as the WWII Italian "smoke ring" camo that would be a pain to cut out paper masks. For rocket applications I would agree with the others to use painters tape or frisket paper.

I appreciate the input thus far.

I'm afraid I never heard of "frisket". What is it?

I have brushed this on with limited success.

It is primarily intended to be sprayed on, but I used it for the checkerboard pattern on my BBII fins below. It definitely seals well and allowed me to paint the white quadrants all at once rather than one at a time.

Cheers,
Michael

image.jpg

John:
Check-out Tech-Tip 019 "Masking Techniques" in the library at www.narhams.org. toward the end of the text covers several Liquid mask, with application and Photos that may help.
I did a search before posting for help with masking,found your post,the link was most helpful. Thank You.

Last edited:
Back