Stupid Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLKKROW

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So in many kits, and on many different build threads. I see people Epoxying bullk heads together, I understand having one smaller bulk head to fit inside of the coupler. Then the bigger one to cap the coupler off.

But why the epoxy? I have found the Eyebolt/Nut to be sufficient in keeping them in place.

This really is a curiosity, I cannot see one being more effective structurally. Am I just stupid, or is it user preference?

The eyebolt would would probably hold things together just fine. I guess people glue them together because there really wouldn't be any reason to take them apart again. If you are using U-bolts and have to fill in the center hole to keep the av bay sealed, then it helps to have them glued together before hand. A single thick plate could be stiffer than two thin ones when transferring loads from the center U/eyebolt to all-thread on the edges...

I'm not sure there is a singular answer, i was just throwing out ideas that come to mind.

The eyebolt would would probably hold things together just fine. I guess people glue them together because there really wouldn't be any reason to take them apart again. If you are using U-bolts and have to fill in the center hole to keep the av bay sealed, then it helps to have them glued together before hand. A single thick plate could be stiffer than two thin ones when transferring loads from the center U/eyebolt to all-thread on the edges...

I'm not sure there is a singular answer, i was just throwing out ideas that come to mind.

I was just sitting there at work and trying to contemplate if there was a real reason to epoxy them together.

To me it is an extra step, so I choose to not do it. Thanks for your answer, it gives me some relief knowing it really does not matter.

I glued a bulkhead/cap piece together recently as it seemed 'the thing to do'

For me, it does a couple of things - the two pieces are now laminated together and hopefully offer the combined strength of both instead of possibly just the cap piece when under stress.

Also, when i drill holes for wires etc, the top and bottom plates will remain aligned.

Krusty

Back